Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an r/t and the dealer uses like a vinyl type logo as their badge rather then one of those chrome ones. anyway whats the best way to remove that without messing up my paint or having it be obvious to what was there. razorblade and soapy water maybe?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depending on where you live, there is a product called Goo Gone that works in unsticking stickers and whatnot. I've used it before on the Dodge Shadow I had; someone decided to stick maxi pads to the paint. Oh I was pissed!!!! If you can try to peel the sticker off the Goo Gone should get the sticky stuff that remains. Heck, it may even work in getting the whole sticker off, but I do know it gets the sticky stuff off of a lot of different surfaces. I think I used it on an oak table and it worked pretty well. It comes in a small bottle and it's a brownish/yellowish clear liquid. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would heat it up first with a hair dryer and remove the sticker with your fingernail after that use the goo gone as others sugested for any residue left.

I made my dealer remove it before I took delivery of the car... I told them I didn't mind the license plate holder but I did not want the decal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plan old windex seems to work well too. Spay it on,let it soak and use a fingernail or creditcard to scrap it off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Goo Gone can be kind of nasty on some surfaces - peel off the vinyl sticker (comes off easier when it is warm) and remove the glue using WD-40.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just peeled mine off.... wasn't difficult at all, but it had only been applied about 24 hours prior. The longer they sit, the more difficult they are to remove...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I dunno if I would be using a razor blade. You run the risk of scratching the paint.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah..I would not use a razor blade and Id be careful using your nails as well. Thats how I did mine. goo gone and a fingernail and I scratched the paint slightly, but using some scratch remover buffed the small scratches out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Plain old lighter fluid works the best and is the cheapest. Zippo or Ronsonol. Great for bugs, tar, and any other kind of sticky stuff, and it won't harm the paint. In fact, Ronsonol even says on the container "Excellent for removing labels, tar, grease & oil stains"

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is funny when i was test driving my car no sticker...while i was waiting 2 hours for paper work. they detailled and put a sticker on it. i told them to take it off and they did..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Before the dealer adds their sticker to your car, they should ask you first. I usually take off all stickers and emblems off my cars anyways. I use fishing line to cut behind the emblems then Goof Off.

Paint stores have a wheel you can put into your cordless drill and it rubs off the sticky stuff without hurting or scratching the paint or clear coat.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
901 Posts
mistermario said:
I would heat it up first with a hair dryer and remove the sticker with your fingernail after that use the goo gone as others sugested for any residue left.
ummm, think twice about using a hair dryer or a heat gun -- because those things are designed to heat up paint for easy removal!!! You certainly don't want your Caliber's paint bubbling up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
ummm, think twice about using a hair dryer or a heat gun -- because those things are designed to heat up paint for easy removal!!! You certainly don't want your Caliber's paint bubbling up.
I got the hair dryer tip from searching the internet on how to remove a pinstripe. As far as the hair dryer being able to damage the paint I certainly hope that something that doesn’t melt the skin off your head has the ability to ruin your paint. Last summer while driving thru Death Valley I couldn’t even touch the car it was so hot and the paint was fine. I think if you hold the hair dryer a few inches away without touching it to the car it will be fine... I do agree that you should not use a heat gun.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The hair dryer thign should be fine. The sun gets alot hotter than a hair dryer does

·
Registered
251 Posts
Easy way to handle this, my father paints cars for a living. (Has for 30 years). Anyway, whenever he removes decals, or anything glued to the car he always heats it up with a heat gun, and will slowly peel as he is heating. Works everytime, and then he will goo gone the rest of it off.

So a heat gun will not damage your paint, as long as you don't hold it in one space for like 3 hours...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts