Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, is there supposed to be a light in the glovebox of the stock 2009 CSXT? There wasn't one in mine, so I installed one. Is that a premium option or not one at all?

If anyone wants to see a picture let me know. Though, I doubt that a glovebox light is really something that you would find interesting. Its a little low-key mod that has made my life awesome. I spend a lot of time in my car...at night...in the dark...rummaging around in that compartment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, ill do it tomorrow though, i have to get up in 5 hours for work. This forum is like crack, i just cant stay off it.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've been considering doing the same, but wasnt sure what wires to tap into, or did you make a switch?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I definitely think that a lot of guys(and girls) would like to see your setup. I am looking to do this modification as well. Post up those pics when you can!

oh, and your signature is by far my favorite up to date.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
No no no, this is 2009... today's market has no interest in a glovebox light!

In fact, the intent was for you to stop your car, get out, open the rear hatch, remove the rechargeable flashlight, get back into your car, use the flashlight to rummage around the glovebox, then run back to the back, return the flashlight, close the hatch, and continue on your way.

This is an especially logical plan if you have been stopped by the police and are preparing your insurance and registration for them to see, since we all know they love when you open your door and run around to the back during a traffic stop.

(yes, sarcasm.. I actually want a glovebox light)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No no no, this is 2009... today's market has no interest in a glovebox light!

In fact, the intent was for you to stop your car, get out, open the rear hatch, remove the rechargeable flashlight, get back into your car, use the flashlight to rummage around the glovebox, then run back to the back, return the flashlight, close the hatch, and continue on your way.

This is an especially logical plan if you have been stopped by the police and are preparing your insurance and registration for them to see, since we all know they love when you open your door and run around to the back during a traffic stop.

(yes, sarcasm.. I actually want a glovebox light)

LOL, thats awesome. I dont think i would ever use that little flashlight in the back, unless I was desperate.

I took some shots this morning...DUH... and its light outside so you cant really see the full effect of the lights.

I bought a LED kit and wire tappers from PEP Boys for around $19, and a momentary switch from Radio Shack (normally closed) $4-$5, and I had some 16g wire. I tapped the map light (+) and (-), and ran the wire down the passenger pillar and into the glovebox area. It was really easy to do except for the switch. There is very limited space at that location. I ended up fishing the button through with some extra wire. Total time spent 2 hours, it could have been done in 20mins but I had to learn how to solder and then buy a new soldering gun, because the one I had must have been the short-bus model. This was the first real mod that I have done, so those of you with experience could probably do it in 20-30 mins.

The button works, but like a refrigerator I don't know if it works when the door closes.
I'll post a better pic tonight once the darkness spreads.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Awesome, thanks a ton for the photos/explanation.

I was planning on doing the exact same thing, but with a short-ish LED strip-light like this:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooooo, I like that. I think a strip light would look good. I was debating over a strip like that when I was choosing my light, but eventually decided on the plate LED (mostly b/c price). The only problem that I have encountered since installing, is that none of the light goes into the drink compartment, it is all focused into the lower part. But I dont really care about that.

Good luck with the strip light. If you have any questions about the hookup, I might be able to help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a better picture that sucks. Better that it shows the light in the dark, sucks because it fell victim to Shaken Camera Syndrome.

WHats the deal with the forums tonight, its going so slow that I cant get a proper fix. Im dying here guys. I need more threads. I feel like Leo Dicaprio in Basketball Diaries, only minus the urge to suck a stranger off in a bathroom stall, I dont need the forums BJ bad.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
looks great

thanks for the write up and pics

·
Registered
553 Posts
Very nice !! My solution was a lot more simple, and took maybe a few seconds to install. No where near as classy, or automatic though :jester:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I guess the word "overkill" isn't in your dictionary :jester:

Reactions: UN4GTBL
1 - 17 of 17 Posts