Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Good use for the cutout in the dash/center console?

6K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  boostdog 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone found a good use for the cutout area below the radio in the dash/center concole? I have been staring at it for two weeks since I got the car and can't help think that I should be doing more with it than just putting my sunglasses in it. Perhaps a DVD player of some sort? An in-car computer? Something even cooler? It's a little smaller than 1 DIN/regular radio head unit size (I think that's the terminology, but I'm not really into the car tech talk). I saw a Lilliput computer that was just a little too tall...

Just wanted to see if anyone else had found a good use/mod for it...

See the attached picture if you have no idea what I'm talking about...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm with Stevini18 and have no idea what purpose it would serve.

The same applies to that little opening on the left side of the steering wheel.

It is to small for glasses and my donut just makes a mess when I stick it in there.

#6 ·
Oldguy said:
I'm with Stevini18 and have no idea what purpose it would serve.

It is to small for glasses and my donut just makes a mess when I stick it in there.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, that one is way too small for anything.

Sad to see that everyone is just putting their junk in that space though...was hoping someone could fit something a little cooler/more useful in there.

And save the dollars for the wild packs of strippers...coffee is not a necessity. Strippers, on the other hand.......

Seriously though, no electronics or anything to put in there?

#7 ·
Stevini18 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, that one is way too small for anything.

Sad to see that everyone is just putting their junk in that space though...was hoping someone could fit something a little cooler/more useful in there.

And save the dollars for the wild packs of strippers...coffee is not a necessity. Strippers, on the other hand.......

Seriously though, no electronics or anything to put in there?
I am thinking about getting the Harmon/Kardon iPod thingy. I think I will try and mount the pieces in there.

#8 ·
If your confident enough to do a little surgery on that opening you might be
able to use it for many things,at worst it will cost you a new bezel.
The box is only tacked to the back of bezel,easily removed.

G
#9 ·
Give me the winter time to come up with something for that spot :)

Also the spot next to the door...I put my bluetooth headset there the other day because I forgot to charge it before I left my house, perfect little spot for that

#10 ·
The spot next to the door might be just right size for Garmin GPS,that's
where they are putting the turbo boost guage on the SRT Caliber.

#13 ·
hahaha, if you're buying, sure! REC/NAV here I come!

#14 ·
I remember reading someone on here used it for an aftermarket Sirius receiver. Mine is used for my Sirius remote and receipts.

#15 ·
Works perfect for my SCANGAUGE2!!!

#16 ·
I coil up the cord for my iPod (found a cable that matches the bezel finish perfectly, and the cable itself matches the leather seats perfectly! .. Was worth the *ahem* 20$)

I also keep my ipod in there, and other misc. items. If I have any cds with me, I keep those in there insted.

#19 ·
hahaha, my toothpicks are in the upper glove box. however, they need a new home because they fall out every time i open it...

As far as something more "tech"...I've been trying to find a portable DVD player that I can store in there (when it's closed and I'm not using it) and open to watch stuff when I want to. This is not an easy task...

First off, it has to have a swivel screen so that the base (where the DVD plays from) is actually in the cutout in the dash and the screen can be turned around to face outwards into the car.

Second, it has to have the right dimensions, but also not be a tiny screen. Looking for 5" or bigger screen. Unit itself has to be 6.5" wide MAX, and like 1.65" high MAX. The depth of the cutout is about 4", but the player can be deeper than that, because the screen has to rest outside of the cutout...so, about 5" deep would be good.

Oh yeah..and, it has to be affordable.

Still looking.

#25 ·
Oldguy said:

Have my XM RoadyXT permanently mounted in that cubby. Put a hole in the back to pass all the cables through so you don't see any cables. Have a FM modualtor thing in the dash that cuts out other FM frequencies when the XM is on so no searching for available stations. Have the mini Sat antenna mounted above the rear hatch centerd on the roof. Ran the wire underneath the black roof moulding up to where it meets the front edge of the front door and in to the dash. The Roady XT fits perfectly in the cubby, like it was made for it. Little bit of double sided tape to hold the mount down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.