Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my Garmin Streetpilot 2620. Had to make a small slot for the power cable, which is hooked up direct instead of using the lighter adaptor, and the antenna cable since I use an external antenna. I have no decided where I am going to put the speaker yet, but I was thinking either on the roof, by the interior lights, or on the ledge below the tach. By the tach would be easier than tearing into the headliner, but the headliner wins for coolness.
Oh, and the dash mat I picked up on eBay for $24.00. Fits nicely and has all the proper cutouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Despite the fact mounting the speaker in the headliner is my favorite option, at this point, I just DON'T want to mess with tearing into the roof. So I trimmed Garmin's speaker housing and came up with two alternate locations. So help me out here, should I mount it on the ledge just below the tach facing up, or just below the ledge facing me? Speaker volume is pretty good, so there would really be no difference in how well I could hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
picture b seems like the best place...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Go with facing towards you...picture B.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, finished with th GPS install. Mounted the speaker in location "B". Here's the pic. Not much changes from the other one except it's functional now and my fat finger is not in the way. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice install... I'm not to fond of GPS though. What ever happened to learning your way around the old fashioned way? :) My housemate has a unit in his outback and he uses it to get everywhere.... kind of annoying.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A friend of mine bought one and we used it when we went camping. It was fun to play with, but I could not use it for everyday stuff. It was funny because it kept recalculating the route because we were not taking the way it wanted us to. i could see it more for distance travelling, not local to-work-and-back stuff.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I first got into GPS's with my Jeep. I found it was perfect for marking a really great trail, and finding my way BACK from or back to spots. Plus, I'd load a topographic map into it and have a good idea of what the terrain would be like. Also, on vacation trips it's handy to find little out of the way places and roads. I don't use it for city driving except in a few rare cases where I was looking for a specific place. Plus, I'm into geocaching, so I have a hand held unit for that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Old Dude.. Do you leave your Garmin unit on the dash while parked under the summer sun? If so, how does the Garmin unit handle the heat?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't really say how well it handles heat! I work nights, so during the week it's in my garage during the day, and in the dark while it's in the company parking lot. If I go anywhere on the weekends, I put it in the center console if I park it so it's not a temptation for someone walking by.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest and it handles the Texas heat fine... or at least it has so far :D

I rarely use it for 'navigating' though (meaning setting a destination and having it tell me where to go).. but it's very handy to always know where you are, or to see where roads go to cut around traffic and stuff. I love feeling like I am never lost :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I assume then that no one here has gone with a gps/laptop set-up in their Caliber yet? Currently I modified my Xterra for one, but looking for options to the Cali.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Garmin iQue 3600 (it also has MP3, Palm, and other MS applications) as my GPS. I use the "sandbag" mount, not permanent, so I can switch it between the cars easily. I use the cig- plug/speaker combo for those annoying "turn here" and such, and a heaphone plug to cassette adapter for MP3s that I have not burnt onto CD yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts