Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone get the factory GPS system or get a portable system for their Caliber?

I am thinking about getting one but not sure what to get.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I installed the factory rec nav system in my car after the fact. Its GREAT and i highly recommend it unless you really need touchscreen.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Get the new MyGIG system that is going into ALL the new Dodge/chrysler/jeeps...

That system is AMAZING... 20 gig hard drive, touch screen, GPS nav, plays mp3's, shows jpeg's, you can watch movies on it.. that's the ONLY system to get!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pioneer AVIC S1 installed in mine. Great maps and easy to use. On at Future Shop this week for $500. Upgradable by way of sd card (none available yet as it was only introduced in 2006). The thing I like, well actually two things, it is portable so I can move it from car to car (take it on trips and put in rental) I can use it in pedestrian mode in the city and it has bluetooth which works quite well. Don't need the bluetooth in ther Cali but I do in other vehicles. Very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
the mygig may have issues in the caliber. I have yet to hear into about it run on all can-bus systems.
I was looking at the portable units like the Pioneer AVIC S1. They are very nice if you wanna keep your aux input or already have a 6 disk changer and need it for other vehicles. I had the standard radio and no use for the aux input so rec nav was the way for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im torn between adding a in dash factory nav unit, compared to a hand held which I could move from car to car. I just love the idea of in dash nav tho

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Renegade said:
Im torn between adding a in dash factory nav unit, compared to a hand held which I could move from car to car. I just love the idea of in dash nav tho
I'd go with the hand held, the in dash is quite pricey....

Navigation Radio (REC) combines a 5.8-inch full-color display, AM/FM stereo, 6 disc CD/MP3 Player and Navigation System that utilizes DVD technology, all in one handy unit. This sophisticated, yet simple-to-use navigation system guides you to your precise destination through the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology and an onboard computer. The system offers turn-by-turn route guidance with voice instruction, automatic re-route calculation, unique smart-spelling feature, extensivelistings for point of interests and enough memory to store 100 personal addresses. Unit includes a geographic DVD with routing directions for the entire mapped United States and parts of Canada. The radio features 12 AM, 12 FM, and 12 Sirius Satellite Radio pre-sets. This system is Sirius Satellite Radio capable and displays station names, song title and artist. To obtain Sirius Satellite Radio, a satellite receiver/antenna kit and subscription to the Sirius service is required. $4115.00

Add another $100 + for the dash bezel and installation kit. [CDN $]

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ironside said:
Get the new MyGIG system that is going into ALL the new Dodge/chrysler/jeeps...

That system is AMAZING... 20 gig hard drive, touch screen, GPS nav, plays mp3's, shows jpeg's, you can watch movies on it.. that's the ONLY system to get!
Yeah, its nice, but has anyone put one in a Caliber yet? And what's with all of the talk about can-bus and such??? I'm lost and confused.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The new MyGig system is not an option in a handfull of 07 model year cars. Im not even sure if its even out at all yet, but it may either just be a Din size difference or they may have made some changes in the Can-bus system. (central nervous system in dodge OBDII cars) Controller Area Network bus

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I bought my '08 Caliber yesterday I was told that MyGig is not available in the Caliber SRT-4, I'm sure that goes for all Calibers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
yup, supposedly its not available until '09 model year
It's a pity. That MyGig system is killer. Do you think they'll be able to install it in an '08 at a later date?

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
welshboi82 said:
It's a pity. That MyGig system is killer. Do you think they'll be able to install it in an '08 at a later date?
its been rumored, but nothing concrete yet. there was an attempt to put one in a 06 Grand Cherokee SRT8, but i dont think tha ti twas ever 100% completed, before the GC was traded...

The problem is not only the plugs on the back, but the CAN BUS

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the stock in dash GPS on my SRT, it's not bad but there are many restrictions.i'm content at the moment but when I upgrade the stereo this summer i'm sure it will be for sale.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like mine, it works well with UConnect and Satellite radio. It's overpriced but I still like it. While Mygig may be a better system , I would never really use the extra features that it has. I'm content with this setup, gives the car a nice look IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
JSRT4 said:
I like mine, it works well with UConnect and Satellite radio. It's overpriced but I still like it. While Mygig may be a better system , I would never really use the extra features that it has. I'm content with this setup, gives the car a nice look IMO.
What do you have? I guess I'll have to look at getting a dashboard mounted one from best-buy, rather than in-dash.

·
Registered
671 Posts
welshboi82 said:
What do you have? I guess I'll have to look at getting a dashboard mounted one from best-buy, rather than in-dash.
I got the factory nav setup, when comibined with SRT group option and satellite radio option it works along with the satellite radio and Uconnect voice activated cel. phone system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts