Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my friends bachelor party last night and since I wasn't drinking I ended up being one of the designated drivers for the caravan to the jiggle-joints. I had 3 people in the back and one passenger up front - all of these guys going at least 200 pounds or so.

Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (especially if you're the guy in the middle of the back seat), the car handled the load quite well. Had to go up and down some steep hills, had to brake hard at one point, had to gun it to pass on the freeway, and it did okay. The only problem was I did bottom out once going over a dip in the road on the way to the on ramp.

In short if it can handle a bunch of fueled up overweight ********, it should be able to handle the 1000 pound towing capacity as well.

BTW - happy to report that there were NO INCIDENTS of NBA players jumping on my hood and firing off 9mm rounds into the air as warning shots last night. Guess the Cavaliers have too much class for that. Sorry Pacer fan!:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's good to hear, both that the car can handle the load and you didn't get shot at :D. It's a heavy car to begin with and it's good to know you can use the cargo area for some real cargo if you need to as well as tow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've hauled ten 80 lb bags in the back of my RT twice now. During the trips i did highway acceleration, steep upgrades and fast corners. This car should haul a trailer with 1000 lbs plus with no prob. I'll find out for sure in April when I trailer my bike 1200 miles to the Lauglin River Run and then back.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
.38 said:
That's good to hear, both that the car can handle the load and you didn't get shot at :D. It's a heavy car to begin with and it's good to know you can use the cargo area for some real cargo if you need to as well as tow.
Yeah, I was betting on the Caliber's platform to a lot stronger than the Mazda-5's when I bought it. I think it is (and have heard of problems with the Mazda 3's platform being used under the stretched 5).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Haha, stuff 8 people into a TJ (wrangler) then we'll talk about space issues. 2 in the passenger seat, me driving, and 5 in the backseat. Kinda funny especially since the hardtop was on. :D No handling problems or anything, it just got kinda hot in there even with the windows down. But hey, great job on trying that, now I cant get any of my friends to even try and stuff themselves into my Wrangler, and I dont wanna think about stuffing anybody in whatever I decide to upgrade to...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts