Dodge Caliber Forums banner

What's the fastest you have driven your Caliber?

• Always the posted speed limit

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • 87 or slower

Votes: 8 15.7%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 89-100

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • 100 - 110

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 110 or faster

Votes: 13 25.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night it was really clear and cool and dark and late and there were a lot of ands but you get the picture. Wide open paved road in the middle of nowhere and I pinned her to the floor. I could see the fuel mileage going down as the speedometer climbed. It was the most beating she has taken so far. Just passed K so figured it was safe to say she was broke in and could take it with stride. Well I'm not 100% sure I hit 120 but I know I was over 118-119 as the needle was just about to the 120 mark. It was nuts scary and at the same time pretty exhilarating. It didn't feel loose or unstable at all which really surprised me because usually they tend to get light and like to move around on you but it was really solid and I felt completely in control. Not sure if anyone else has tried to get to the top but I couldn't as I ran out of straight road but it was still going up when I put on the binders.:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
I actually let off the gas and slowed a litte when I reached for the camera.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've only had the Caliber up to 95 mph, only because I didn't notice it get up there :) but I've had other cars a little faster...

Ah.... no governor!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny Michael, I got some pic's at 118 that are blurry from when we were coming back from Italy, I was pretty impressed, I had 4 people in the car and a weekend worth of gear and hit it fairly quickly, it did go over 120 for an instant.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
hehe i havent tryed to push my caliber past 90 yet but i beat on my lincoln something fierce. I have a pic somewhere my buddy took of my passing one of those police speed signs (kind that dont send tickets) at 140. Ill tell you what though... a pretty non aerodynamic luxoboat isnt very stable over 120.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've got mine to a little over a hundred........But I only have a little over 1000 miles so i backed off. Once I change my oil (synthetic) I'll see how far I can take it..........Safely of course!

·
Registered
181 Posts
So even though even though the judge says he believed me(since I was T-boned) that I was in the intersection before the guy who hit me was(unsigned). He didn't want to encourage racing to the intersection. So, he let my failure to yield stand. I lost my safe driving record and so far both cars have been totalled and the guy is claiming personal damage no settlement there so far. My long story ends with I only speed when I don't catch myself. This will have to be for a long time. My insurance has went up 400 dollars a year and don't want to pay more. Irony is, I called the police because he wouldn't get off the phone and exchange info. He actually never gave me more than a phone number but the police got the information. My only consolation is he got the ticket for uninsured driver.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice photoshop work UTB!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I made it to 120 once in the Caliber. Not enough hands to run a camera and the car though.

You gotta love that straight run between Pinedale Wyoming and Rock Springs Wyoming. 120 miles of no curves very slight rises.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know what all the hoopla is about getting the Caliber over a hundred. The governor kicks in at 120 anyhow. I just drive the speedlimit or less now for the best MPG.

Twice tho, I did had my 65 HP econo car up to 110MPH(sure, it was on a down slope). Also had my geared-up 38 HP 450cc cycle over 110MPH. I figured I better quit or something would blow on the bike which had a 105 MPH top speed in standard gearing. The thing that scared me the most at 110MPH on the cycle was that I wasn't scared. I knew I was in trouble then. Sure enough! Two years later I did have a serious accident. I lived through it, thanks to God for not letting me pay for my bad desires.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Caliber hasnt been over 70 yet. But I have had my Formula up to 127 and that was enough for me. I would like to try the 140 on the speedo but we don't have enough straight road here.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The hoopla is because they put in a 120mph speedometer, which always makes people want to see if they can actually go that fast. I've had my truck to 128mph verified by police radar. No ticket because the police were the ones who wanted to see how fast it was. And I've done a lot more work to the truck since then. Right now 140mph should be no problem in my truck, but speedo only goes to 120. I haven't been over 85mph in a very long time in either vehicle though. Just no need to do that anymore unless I'm on a track. I've matured quite a bit in the last few years.

·
Registered
775 Posts
litesong said:
I just drive the speedlimit or less now for the best MPG.
There is no speed limit where I drive 100+ MPH. If there is a speed limit, I usually keep within it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have had the Cali up to 90+ one late night while I was in a werd mood, otherwise, I got a ticket for 130mph in my Camaro (rip) and I slowed down by the time he caught me (150 or so I beleive, speedo cable broke, so no governor. I was suckin in some traffic that day outside Winslow AZ).

I have been 170mph in a Toyota Supra 6spd and 170mph on a Suzuki Bandit 1200S at the Texas Motor Speedway on the oval with tach to spare!!!!
And then there was that time I went Mach 1.77 in a T-38 power dive pulling 5g's!! I think we had tach to spare on that one too! :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Michael K...Yeah, Jochen Mass, Formula One driver, said he was moving along at 240MPH on the autobahn...& that was a long time ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts