Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad news. After working with a dealership here in Vancouver for more than a month, I went in on Saturday to finalize the deal on an SXT Sport in Orange, due to arrive later this week, and I was put up against a wall and could not make the numbers work.

I have a mint condition 2003 Focus ZX5 fully loaded with only 23K kilometers coming off lease in the next couple of months. When I went in the first time to check out the Caliber, the owner of the Chrysler dealership offered me a great deal on my car based on me taking the Caliber which is also fully loaded.

BUT - when I went in with cheque book in hand this weekend, the owner was out of town, and there was a new sales manager who took one look at the original numbers and told my sales guy that the owner offered me too much for my Focus. He was unwilling to work with the numbers at all, would not even consider dropping a buck off the sticker price of the Caliber. :mad:

That threw my payments way too high to make sense, so unfortunately I had to close that cheque book, and walk away.

So...I guess no new Caliber for me, at least for awhile. Of course now my Ford dealership is aware that I'm shopping as I contacted them for the current buyout of my lease. So they are enticing me with some great deals, and a 0.9% lease rate - compared to 4.8% on the Caliber.

I simply don't know what to do now, so I guess I'll do nothing! :confused:

Sorry for the long post, just had to get it off my chest!!! Thanks for reading........:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The owner should honor it if you have it in writing. He doesnt have to but the last thing he needs is angry customers. You have the power to go somewhere else in the future. Also you have the power to tell all of your freinds and family to do the same. It could cost him a lot more in the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The owner's goal is to keep his business alive and prospering. the sales manager's goals are to meet his numbers to get his bonuses. I agree witht the previous two posts. Go back and ONLY talk to the owner. Pitch a tent and wait to talk to him personally if you have to. I'll bet he'll honor his previous offer, and if not then get his email address and forward to him all of the posts that will follow from us once he renigs (make sure you mention the dealership by name). :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses all! I imagine when the owner returns and the salesman tells him what happened I will get a phone call. I have removed my name from this particular Caliber and the way they are going, I probably will have to wait again for the next round. If it's meant to be, it'll happen.

and yes, there are many Dodge dealerships that I can go to. My concern is that the Caliber is so popular right now, they have their pick of customers and don't need to work too hard to get a sale. If not me, there is someone behind me willing to pay anything. We shall see, and I'll keep y'all posted.

Should it prove to be nasty, I will post the dealership name, but until then I will give them the benfit of the doubt and see what happens. ;)

Graham

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had to pull my deal from the St. Catharines Performance Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership. My wife and I went there first, but I was in contact with over half a dozen other dealerships as well. They didn't have the exact car we wanted (everything but the musicgate) and they gave us a decent deal. We signed a conditional bill of sale and submitted a credit application (with no response...) but no deposit was left. I then took my bill of sale to a Hamilton dealership and he was able to get the same car WITH the musicgate system, for less money a month and more cash back from our 2003 VW Punch Buggy. So we signed the deal with them and left a deposit for the first month's payment. So now the St. Catharines dealership is all pissed and telling me that we HAVE to buy it from them, that we have no choice. I was pissed! I work in sales for VW and I know how the game works. They tried to strong-arm and bully me to get the car from them. Diplorable business standards to say the least! My wife and I are SO pissed at them - she almost went in on Saturday to rip the sales manager a new one... lol!! Anyway, I'm getting it from DeWilt Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in Hamilton and they've been GREAT!!

Whew - my fingers are getting tired... lol!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Raz,

Did you own or lease your VW Bug? I am guessing it was owned. I think that is part of the stickler I have. The dealership (through me) will have to buy out my lease and quite frankly I don't think they wanna do that. They have offered me $13,680 for the Focus, and have already said it would go on their lot for $18K. My buyout is $10,500 plus taxes, which still puts me in an equity postion. However now they want me to come up with an additional $3,500 down to get the payment I want [Low to mid $300s]. I don't really beleive in a downpayment on a lease. To me that is pre-paying.. I dunno. I wish car shopping was a little easier and no so much smoke and mirrors - it get 's me nervous and I feel like I'm getting taken to the cleaners.

I had initially been working with another Chrysler dealer, but the salesman was not very aggressive to earn my business - no follow up calls or anything, so maybe I'll have to give him a call and see what we can do there. Always more fish in the sea.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
CDN-SXT said:
...When I went in the first time to check out the Caliber, the owner of the Chrysler dealership offered me a great deal on my car based on me taking the Caliber which is also fully loaded.

BUT - when I went in with cheque book in hand this weekend, the owner was out of town, and there was a new sales manager who took one look at the original numbers and told my sales guy that the owner offered me too much for my Focus.
And I would bet good money that the dealership HAS CONTACT with the owner while he is "out of town".

Personally, I would insist on being put in touch with whomever is that "contact person" at the dealership, and have it resolved NOW.

The best approach - short of the Sales Manager honoring the original deal - is for the owner to be involved NOW and make a determination to everyone's advantage - or for the owner to be BLINDSIDED with this situation upon return and have to start asking questions of people who are not honoring HIS deals and directives in his absence.

If someone knows that his/her INFORMED decision was contrary to the OWNER'S wishes, the owner may have some surprises of his own upon return.

I can't speak for that owner, but I do know that when I am absent from my position, others are empowered to make wise decisions but NOT to cut the rug out from my promises and plans.

Returning from "out of town" with such a concern is not what the owner probably wants. The Sales Manager needs to know that if he is NOT going to honor the owner's promise to you, he is doing JUST THAT (blindsiding the owner) and creating an unnecessary situation that NO boss should encounter upon return.

And personally - a NEW Sales Manager is probably on some type of probationary and conditional employment status. As the owner, I would weigh that heavily against whether to retain him in that position when I was confronted with this after an absence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve Desjardins said:
what options were on the caliber you wanted??
Hey Steve, The Caliber was an SXT Sport as mentioned. It had the musicgate, drivers convenience package, security package, u-connect, 6disc cd, heated seats. Oh and a sun roof of course.

More than I really need, but the closest they had to my 'ideal' car that was coming in.

The sticker on that one was $23,680 if memory serves.

Graham

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harley said:
And I would bet good money that the dealership HAS CONTACT with the owner while he is "out of town".

If someone knows that his/her INFORMED decision was contrary to the OWNER'S wishes, the owner may have some surprises of his own upon return.

And personally - a NEW Sales Manager is probably on some type of probationary and conditional employment status. As the owner, I would weigh that heavily against whether to retain him in that position when I was
confronted with this after an absence.
To be fair, the sales mgr said he would 'honor' the owner's offer on my Focus, but to get the payment to the level I needed, I would have to pony up $3,500 down. That's where the deal went south!

I think I'm just going to wait a couple of months and shoot for it again - with a different dealership.

I own my own business, and I look at the future revenue of a new customer. If I have to lower my price to earn the person's business I will do it. I also drive no more than 5 thousand kilometre's a year, and maintain my car exclusively at the selling dealership. They would get the ongoing service revenue, and then get the car back in the same shape it went out. That is evidenced by the Focus I have had since fall of '02.

ah, but now I'm just getting bitter! I really saw that Sunburst Orange SXT in my driveway. [poof gonzo :D ]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Were you expcting some impossible deal or is the dealer playing tricks.

Plus, I never heard of an order or compleat deal with no down payment?

I just ask because when I got mine there was another cutomer very close and I could hear there deal and they were asking for the impossible, Wanted to have a 300.00 payment on a 36000.00 car. They had a good down payment of 8000.00 but even so the payment was going to be 542.00 month which is not too bad for a 36,0000.00 cat. I even know that just aint possible, 36,000.00 car is going to get you a 500 to 700 payment no matter how you cut the deal.

I thnk sometimes customers want the impossible, not saying you did, but just seems odd the deal would change that much.

Flaps

·
Registered
64 Posts
CDN-SXT said:
They have offered me $13,680 for the Focus, and have already said it would go on their lot for $18K. My buyout is $10,500 plus taxes, which still puts me in an equity postion. However now they want me to come up with an additional $3,500 down to get the payment I want [Low to mid $300s].
The deal we got is pretty good in my opinion. We did finance our Beetle and we owe $11,500 on it. The sales manager offered me $14,500 which is obviously a $3000 difference. Once you tack on taxes onto that, they're going to cut us a check for $4,800. The SXT we ordered was Orange, alloy rims, fog lights, heated seats, musicgate, cruise and security package. We only put the first month's payment as the down an it's $383 a month taxes in. I hope that that gives you an idea of what you can expect. DeWilt Chrysler/Dodge in Hamilton are great, but if I had known of this forum first I would have delt with Steve (even if he is in Windsor... lol!). Maybe Steve can help me with MY SRT-4.... eh? Whadda ya say Steve? :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flaps said:
Were you expcting some impossible deal or is the dealer playing tricks.

Plus, I never heard of an order or compleat deal with no down payment?

I just ask because when I got mine there was another cutomer very close and I could hear there deal and they were asking for the impossible, Wanted to have a 300.00 payment on a 36000.00 car. They had a good down payment of 8000.00 but even so the payment was going to be 542.00 month which is not too bad for a 36,0000.00 cat. I even know that just aint possible, 36,000.00 car is going to get you a 500 to 700 payment no matter how you cut the deal.

I thnk sometimes customers want the impossible, not saying you did, but just seems odd the deal would change that much.

Flaps
I don't think I was being unreasonable. In my past experience with leasing vehicles I have never put money down. Yes, there are the upfront costs of first month, admin fees, security deposit etc. Remember I went in prepared to cut a check. I was simply looking to keep my payments to $350/month max, on a car that tops out at just over $23,000. In my original meeting/discussion with the dealership that appeared to be no problem.

The deal breaker, I think, is the lease rate of 4.8% on the Caliber. Even when most other Chrsyler/Dodge vehicles have 0.9% - as do many competitors.

But hey, I'm not looking for miracles, and I can accept that my goals are not going to be met. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
CDN-SXT said:
I don't think I was being unreasonable. In my past experience with leasing vehicles I have never put money down. Yes, there are the upfront costs of first month, admin fees, security deposit etc. Remember I went in prepared to cut a check. I was simply looking to keep my payments to $350/month max, on a car that tops out at just over $23,000. In my original meeting/discussion with the dealership that appeared to be no problem.

The deal breaker, I think, is the lease rate of 4.8% on the Caliber. Even when most other Chrsyler/Dodge vehicles have 0.9% - as do many competitors.

But hey, I'm not looking for miracles, and I can accept that my goals are not going to be met. :cool:
A $23,000.00 Caliber Leased with 0 down and no trade deal is going to be 430 to 440 per month with excellent credit, so how did you think they were going to get to $350.00 a month ???

Like I said when I was in the dealership getting mine, lots of people wanted impossible low payments that no dealer could ever do?

To get 350.00 a month on a least you would need to put down around $3250.00

Flaps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flaps said:
A $23,000.00 Caliber Leased with 0 down and no trade deal is going to be 430 to 440 per month with excellent credit, so how did you think they were going to get to $350.00 a month ???

Like I said when I was in the dealership getting mine, lots of people wanted impossible low payments that no dealer could ever do?

To get 350.00 a month on a least you would need to put down around $3250.00

Flaps
Frankly I'm sorry I started this thread. Flaps, I hear ya loud and clear. My situation is this...My Ford dealer is offering me a $27,000 Fusion, very well equipped for - no shit! - $321.00/month. Nothing down, just swap my leased Focus. Yes, Ford is aggressively trying to retain my business, this will be the 4th car I have leased from this dealership. So...what would you do?;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
CDN-SXT said:
Frankly I'm sorry I started this thread. Flaps, I hear ya loud and clear. My situation is this...My Ford dealer is offering me a $27,000 Fusion, very well equipped for - no shit! - $321.00/month. Nothing down, just swap my leased Focus. Yes, Ford is aggressively trying to retain my business, this will be the 4th car I have leased from this dealership. So...what would you do?;)
Of course we're gonna say "go with the Caliber!!". Well, go with your heart or your wallet, whichever is a more important factor for you. If money is a factor, go with what fits your budget. Listen to your heart too-which vehicle do you really like better and fits YOU better?

BTW, some ideas on what could account for the differences in payments....
  • Do you get X or A plan pricing from Ford? The best superdeals are usually available only at "employee" pricing.
  • Ford may be offering you better pricing since you would be a returning customer to them.
  • Or, perhaps the difference in pricing may have to do with how Ford vs Chrysler is going to terminate your current lease. Ford can likely waive the remaining payments for returning customers, while Chrysler could not waive Ford lease payments. Those additional payments might be being rolled in to the numbers they gave you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Listen to your heart too-which vehicle do you really like better and fits YOU better?

BTW, some ideas on what could account for the differences in payments....
  • Do you get X or A plan pricing from Ford? The best superdeals are usually available only at "employee" pricing.
  • Ford may be offering you better pricing since you would be a returning customer to them.
  • Or, perhaps the difference in pricing may have to do with how Ford vs Chrysler is going to terminate your current lease. Ford can likely waive the remaining payments for returning customers, while Chrysler could not waive Ford lease payments. Those additional payments might be being rolled in to the numbers they gave you.
You are quite right Kathy, Ford can absorb the final payments, and I do think the pricing they have offered is above and beyond in an effort to retain.

Chrysler can't match that, and I wouldn't expect them too. Honestly, the Fusion doesn't do much for me, and it is not in any way practical for my needs - the Caliber is perfect for that! :D

So, what I've decided to do is let my lease terminate normally [September]. By that time the supply of Calibers should have caught up to demand, and I will have a good selection to choose from - maybe even an '08 with some of the glitches fixed ;) . By compromising on some of the features that I don't need, I should be able to get the car I want at the price I can pay. Thanks for the support! ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Now that looks like a sensible decision. This is what these forums are designed to do, and congrats on having the wisdom to bring your problem to us and let other voices help you make a rational decision. Well done. I look forward to reading about the rewards you reap from this decision in September.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts