Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story... I'm at a complete loss of what I can do.

I took my car in for service for the Recal F29 I think, oil change and get the exhuast fixed.

1. Recall... everything fine.
2. Oil change... they took 2 of my free oil change coupons (the ones from Chrysler for buying the extended warranty) instead of one.
3. Exhaust... no tsb and won't fix it. It's supposed to make noise like that.

So whatever, I looked up more on the Exhaust tick noise here and found that it's no actually a TSB but rather a warranty fix at the right dealer. But I can deal with that.

Here's where it gets frustrating...
My co-worker was picking me up from the dealer in the morning after I dropped it off. Well, we were having a potluck at work so I didn't have enough hands to take everything out of my car, let alone I didn't know if I would have to walk back to get my car. The shuttle driver tends to take FOREVER at that dealer. So I took everthing from the front seat and moved it to the back cargo area. I had my digital camera too. I stuffed that under all of my gym clothes in the bottom of my gym bag, zipped it up slowly (go too fast and it doesn't zip right and breaks open) and shoved the bag up against the seats. Closed the tonneau cover and wal-la (that's the ******* version spelling).

So when I picked up my car that there was this big-ol hand print on my liftgate (car was dirty, it rained the night before and on the way to drop it off) . I thought, huh, why would they need to go in my cargo area? So I looked back there to make sure no scratches from dirty car and big hand print and I noticed that my tonneau cover was no longer exteded and I could see in my cargo area. I opened the liftgate to find that someone had gone through my gym bag. My camera was sitting right on top of my clothes, half-assed shoved in the bag and not rezipped to protect the camera and a big-ol nasty fingerprint on the screen. Real nice. Someone went through my stuff.

Now, I called and left a message for the dealer to call me first thing in the morning, gave 3 contact numbers... no phone call. So I stopped in at 8 am in the morning to talk to the service manager. Who happens to be the brother of the owner. Mr. Randy Hartwig. I discussed my displeasure with someone going through my personal belongings and explained that there was absolutely no reason for anyone to have been in the back of my car.

He says that if it happened here he would get to the bottom of it. I said, no we will get to the bottom of this whether through the dealership or the Police department.

So he calls me back around quarter to nine to let me know that he talked to the tech and the tech says that he was in the cargo area to check and make sure that the windshield fluid reservoir was full. Mr. Hartwig says, yes, he shouldn't be looking for it there but that the tech says he didn't go through my personal affects and he has been with the dealership for 4 years and he believes them. So I told him I would just file a police report then.

So I call the police, they come out and say that they can't file a report because they didn't "take" anything. He recommends that I call Dodge and some other things as well.

So I called Dodge. I filed a complaint. Their computer systems are down so when they come back up they will put this complaint under my VIN. So I asked her... What are you going to do? What will the follow up be? She says... well... what do you want? I told her first off that I wanted my free oil change coupon back and she says that I have to get that from the dealer. Like I want them touching my car again! They're nuts!

So now what do I do. I don't want to have to take a flippin day off of work to get my oil changed. I'm not good at letting the dealer or anyone fix my car for that matter. We always do it in house. But if Chyrsler wants the first 15,0000 miles of oil changes to be on them, by golly, I'm going to let them. I basically paid for them with some of the extra warranties and convenience packages I bought.

What are your guys thought of what I should do next. I'm so mad I could just cry.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Holy crap Tiff that's horrid. I would feel so violated!!!

The fact that the tech ADMITTED to being in the cargo area would be enough for me. The service mgr admitted the tech should not have been back there. (I mean, is the technician that stupid and/or untrained that he wouldn't know the washer fluid tank is under the HOOD?? What a blatant lie!!) He should be fired for being stupid.

Being nosy in someone else's car is against the rules - ethics violation. Grounds for being fired too.

Too bad the police won't file a report for you. Fingerprints on the liftgate and on your camera could be construed as an attempted theft. At minimum, proof that he lied. (I bet that a**hole got interrupted. Of course he would tell his boss he didn't touch anything.)

And... why did they take TWO coupons in the first place? Hope you can get it back. Are they coupons from DCX, or from the dealership? Hopefully they are from DCX directly and that there is another dodge/chyrsler/jeep dealer near you that you could move your business to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. I hate that there are so many dealers out there that are so bad that they give people a bad feeling about taking their cars to one. The problem with this situation is that it is a case of "you did it-no I didn't". Like the police told you, nothing was taking from you and you can't really prove that anyone messed with your stuff. The dealer isn't going to fire a long time employee based on one person saying something even if it is true. If anything they will write him up and slap a hand. I completely feel for you about having your stuff messed with but I also can't believe that you left something like that in your car in the first place. I know that we should trust the people that work on our vehicles, but I will be honest with you and tell you that I take anything of value out of my car before they have it. It is sad and it shouldn't have to be that way, but as you now well know it is the way things are. I would definitely push the issue of the coupon's but as for your personal stuff being messed with, all I can say is lesson learned.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here's the kicker. This dealer just happens to be one of my clients for work. So yeah, I guess there's a certain amount of trust. Ya know?

The other part that got me was the the tech told the mgr that after he worked on the car it was put in the north lot and locked up. That's crap. I called them at 3:08 wanting to know where my car was because I was told that it would be done by 2-3pm at the latest. When I talked to the service advisor, he said that they had just pulled my car in the drive bay and after he gets it into the computer it would be done. So I could come pick it up. It was in the same spot as when I called him. It was never in the lot. The tech lied.

Like I said though. I wasn't sure how I was getting back and I figured if anything, it just looked like clothes in my bag. They had to "dig" to get at it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess you can tell the owner that he just lost your business and that you will advise everyone you know to not do business with them. He may shrug you off, but for anyone who has ever played "Six Degrees Of Seperation" then you know that telling all your friends adds up.
I had a problem with a dealer when I had my Tacoma. I had them put on the Class 2 Tow package, however, the idiots didn't bolt the damn thing in. I was able to unscrew it with my hand. The dealer didn't want to talk or work with me so I blacklisted him with everyone I knew. Three of my friends eventually bought Toyota's with neither of them going to that dealer. One of my friends even went there to test drive cause it was close to his house but when they started talking about buying he told them flat out that he was going to buy from someone else.
Hopefully things work out for you but if they don't then remember that the smallest drop of rain still creates ripples.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tiff; I'd raise hell all the way to top management of the dealer. Make life very uncomfy for them. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. You are the customer. I think the evidence adds up. However, it still boils down to he said - she said, but you do have some evidence nonetheless pointing to some intent. I'd find the owner and make a hissy fit party out of it.

IMHO..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Best thing to do is just go to a different dealer if possible. You can talk to the service manager as well as the dealers owner/manager to see about the oil coupon. My coupons are from DCX, not the dealer. I tear one out and give only one to them when getting service and they are accepted at any Dodge dealership.

I don't really agree with going through a lot of fuss on this. Just begs for aggravation when nothing was taken etc. Pissed ya, but not worth bothering with to me. Another dealer hopefully will be better.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Tiff,

So - in addition to the points you mentioned and actions that you have taken and considered - here is another.

You are a young, attractive FEMALE. The IMPRESSION this situation provides is that a MALE service technician, without any apparent legitimate justification, rifles through your GYM CLOTHES that are stored in a part of the car AND a manner that projects a reasonable expectation of privacy and security of intimate personal effects.

And if it wasn't HIM, who did?

You asked "What will the follow up be?".

How many FEMALES in their dealership walk around and enter people's vehicles and personal effects with dirty, greasy hands?

Personally, I would arrange a personal meeting with the dealership owner and present him with a WRITTEN account of what you stated and suspected - short of a direct accusation of any specific person that has no solid foundation (if you have a personal/business legal representation, obtain his/her advice and assistance). I would also send a DUPLICATE copy of the letter to the dealership via Certified Mail with delivery acknowledgement by signature.

I would be sure to include an expression that you feel personally violated because you feel that WHOEVER left those signs of going through your gym bag MAY HAVE HAD some type of OTHER intentions if nothing was actually taken. Unless that person was interrupted in an attempt to STEAL something, the alternative is that the person was intentionally, willingly, and knowing inspecting and handling your workout clothes that you consider intimate and apparel that no one else should be accessing or handling.

I would directly AVOID using the word "pervert" in the text, but you could express that concern in other effective ways.

Therefore, as a female, you feel completely uncomfortable in the presence of their male service staff, and will be changing your patronage to another dealership where you feel safe and secure.

Oh, and send a copy of that letter to supplement your existing Chrysler complaint. Also offer it to accompany the police complaint as a supplementary, followup report.

I'm sure that expressing concerns of a possible violation of trust and sexually-oriented respect would receive high attention when presented in a documented format as part of - or to accompany - an official complaint or report.

As I said, the key is to convey the lost of trust, to relay how you feel about the probability that you were personally violated in a particular way that relates to the specific items that were accessed (female gym clothing) and how that creates concerns on your part. Most importantly is to simply state facts and impressions but WITHOUT accusing anyone specifically.

Personally, if that happened to one of my female employees, neighbors, friends, associates, etc - I would go to the point to investigate if the "main suspect" technician or anyone else who had access to my vehicle was on a sex-offender registry, or on probation/parole for any related violation. That may seem drastic to some folks, but you would be amazed how events such as the one you relayed are vital to detecting people with such tenancies - and letting the employers know that they may wish to be aware of them whether they have been previously revealed or not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow that is horrid :( minus the rifling through your things it sounds exactly how my dealer is treating me because I'm only 21 and they figure I don't know crap about anything. Unfortunately while you were personally violated there is not really much you can do in this new world because of the circumstances in wich this went down. Best thing to do is to vent to someone as high up in the company you can and move on, take your buisness (service wise) to another dealer and see how they treat you there. Also like I learned long ago you never ever trust anyone around personal things.. empty out your car before service jobs and count your pennies in the ashtray so to speak.. it's unfortunate that we have to goto these extremes today but the world has become quite the cespool of greed and corruption and the only way you can protect yourself is to take prevenative measures. Best of luck to you in whatever course you decide to take.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah I wounld never leave ANYTHING in the car that you want to see again. I mean they could accidentaly leave the car in their lot unlocked... which would be open to whoever. I'd just do what Harley suggests... and be bold but not overbearing.

muzzysgirl said:
3. Exhaust... no tsb and won't fix it. It's supposed to make noise like that.
That's crap. Either press them to repair it or take the Caliber to another dealer. Thankfully the local dealer here fixed mine right away (after I talked with the service manager). It's NOT "supposed make noise like that".

muzzysgirl said:
So he calls me back around quarter to nine to let me know that he talked to the tech and the tech says that he was in the cargo area to check and make sure that the windshield fluid reservoir was full.
What the... there's no "windshield fluid reservoir" in the cargo area! LOL!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Iknow...Iknow. don't leave anything in the car. You guys have to also understand... I'm at that dealership 1-3 times a week per say. I guess I was just a little too careless, but when people see you all the fricken time and know your name... you'd think differently wouldn't you?

I'm filing a report with the BBB, atleast they will give me my coupon back that way. I called Dodge too, but they didn't seem to care that much.

I know that a survey will soon be coming too....

·
Registered
162 Posts
muzzysgirl said:
Iknow...Iknow. don't leave anything in the car. You guys have to also understand... I'm at that dealership 1-3 times a week per say. I guess I was just a little too careless, but when people see you all the fricken time and know your name... you'd think differently wouldn't you?

I'm filing a report with the BBB, atleast they will give me my coupon back that way. I called Dodge too, but they didn't seem to care that much.

Yeah, hit'em where it counts with that survey!:D I know that they are a HUGE deal to every dealer that I have ever done business with, since they go straight to the home office. No way for them to hide or scam you with those babies!

·
Banned
400 Posts
muzzysgirl said:

That's how I got THE BASTARDS in the FINANCE Dept back where I bought my Caliber from!:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
SXTANDME said:
Yeah, hit'em where it counts with that survey!:D I know that they are a HUGE deal to every dealer that I have ever done business with, since they go straight to the home office. No way for them to hide or scam you with those babies!
Yeah, my dealership offers you a tank of gas if you will bring it in to them to fill out. That way they know they will get thier 100%! Scary thing is they were actually excellent to me...thus far anyway :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well..I'm filing a complaint to the BBB. Can you believe that they also deflated my tires to 32 lbs? I mean, come on. They have issues there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BethJ said:
Yeah, my dealership offers you a tank of gas if you will bring it in to them to fill out. That way they know they will get thier 100%! Scary thing is they were actually excellent to me...thus far anyway :)
LOL Only now can you effectively use a tank of gas as a bribe!:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
SXTANDME said:
LOL Only now can you effectively use a tank of gas as a bribe!:D
I wonder if it has to be a tank of gas in the Caliber or if I can take my 23 gallon van up there :) lol I might hold it ransom for an oil change or two as well :) lol j/k maybe:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts