Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the owners manual (yes somebody does read those things;) ) and I noticed that it tells you to take it in to replace any of the front lights. Maybe I read it wrong but what car needs to be taking to a dealer to have the headlights changed? I hope I am wrong on this. Any feed back is welcome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't think you'd have to take it to them, but it's definately not the easiest set of lights to replace. It's a little tight in there, but with enough patience, anything is possible. I had to change out a bulb on those Dodge Sprinter vans at work once, and it is a pain in the ass! The Calis dont look as bad as that, but I haven't tried it myself. I've been throwing the idea of sylvannia silver stars around, but haven't decided if i've gotten enough use out of the stock ones yet! I'll post if I decide to do it, and let everyone know how hard of a time she gives me!:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
The drivers side is pretty easy the passenger side is a PITA!!! They put a stupid headlight adjuster right in your way! You can change them yourself not hard just passenger side you need someone with small hands! I just put in new headlights in my wifes caliber they look pretty good and they are pretty damn birght!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lukeinva said:
You can change them yourself not hard just passenger side you need someone with small hands!
That is good cause now my midget will come in handy! :D

(For any Midgets, I am just playing with you. My Midget doesn't like to work on cars.:p )

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know a little Russian girl with small hands, and she doesn't mind getting them dirty either! I think its sexy when she works on cars!! HEHE!:D:D:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no perfume sexier then axle grease mixed with a hint of high octane for a lady.

Reactions: OldDogSalt

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll never forget the day when she and I went over to a friends to change a brake rotor. She had no qualms about getting right in the dirt and grease and pushing the wrenches with me!! Instant respect, you know? Just a shame she's taken...:( You can't really find girls like that as often as we should be able.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SXTANDME said:
I was reading through the owners manual (yes somebody does read those things;) ) and I noticed that it tells you to take it in to replace any of the front lights. Maybe I read it wrong but what car needs to be taking to a dealer to have the headlights changed? I hope I am wrong on this. Any feed back is welcome.
Ahhh, isn't it comforting to know that the manual refers you to the dealer right away for everything. I guess the dealers don't make enough, so they will charge you an arm and leg to change out your headlight. LOL, they must think people are gullible. Well maybe some are.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kjguy_43 said:
Ahhh, isn't it comforting to know that the manual refers you to the dealer right away for everything. I guess the dealers don't make enough, so they will charge you an arm and leg to change out your headlight. LOL, they must think people are gullible. Well maybe some are.
That is how I read it. What should be a simple, cheap fix will quickly become a headache. You would have to schedule it, take it in, wait for it or get a ride, pick it up, pay for parts, labor, and taxes. All for a simple fix. I guess they assume that most people are too scared to get a little dirty or that we are afraid of a tight space.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well some people just dont like to deal with it! They would rather have someone else do it! But if I was one of them people I would never take it to a dealer! They would probably charge $100 just for labor and $50 for the lights! So $20 lights would cost $150!!!

Yeah girls who work on cars are freakin hot!! Even hotter when they are wearing hats with a pony tail out the back of it!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Unless its only covered under the 12,000 mile warranty because it may be considered a "wearable" item like the wiper blades, brakes, etc...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't want the dealer headlights anyway. I have never been impressed with any that they put in. I would rather get me a nice set of aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If they are anything like my 300's lamps they will last a long time. I have not had to replace a lamp as of yet. It's a 2000 and it has 140,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
So if you do want to replace them...is there a concern that the replacements will be too hot and possibly melt the plastic lens?

I'm figuring that the lens housings are meant to only be able to take a certain range of temps...

Any ideas?

Regards

·
Registered
901 Posts
JohnC said:
If the headlight burns out within the 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warrenty, then it will not cost a cent.
No, only if it is defective, and only for the first 12,000 miles.

orangecalibersxt said:
Unless its only covered under the 12,000 mile warranty because it may be considered a "wearable" item like the wiper blades, brakes, etc...
When determining what the warranty will or will not cover, there is a difference between some part that is defective, and something that is just used up.

Normal/scheduled replacement of maintenance items (e.g. bulbs, fluids, filters, plugs, brake pads, etc) when they wear out or are used up is NOT covered under the vehicle warranty.

ONLY if one of these items are faulty or defective would the warranty cover its replacement. Certain replaceable items are covered only for 12 months. See your warranty book for a list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Recce by Death said:
So if you do want to replace them...is there a concern that the replacements will be too hot and possibly melt the plastic lens?

I'm figuring that the lens housings are meant to only be able to take a certain range of temps...

Any ideas?

Regards
I have never really thought about that. I always just buy the nicer step up from what the dealer sells, with no real thought into how hot it gets. That gives me something to look up now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts