Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the headlights on the Caliber just brighter than normal, or did some of them make it out of the factory improperly adjusted? When I drive at night with my low beams on, people keep flashing me as if my brights are on.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would getting the adjustment checked/adjusted fall under warranty work?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Probably just the fact that it's a new car wih clean headlight lenes and brand new bulbs. Jut flash them back.:p

·
Registered
181 Posts
That usually works. It's only happened to me once last night in fact. They are probably like so thats what bright is...

·
Registered
44 Posts
probably, cause they are new. does anyone know where to get the blueish bulbs, i used eurolites in my pt, but cant find caliber ones anywhere.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
caliberico said:
probably, cause they are new. does anyone know where to get the blueish bulbs, i used eurolites in my pt, but cant find caliber ones anywhere.
Just look for H13, or 9008 bulbs. Same thing and any of them will work in the Caliber.

·
Registered
20 Posts
u sure it wasnt cuz u were goin too slow and they wanted to pass you? j/k. mine don't seem that bright, so much so that i decided to put xenons in. now THOSE are bright!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Actually, that brings up an interesting point. I pretty much prefer the normal lamps over the hi-beams. The Hi-beams have a greaterr coverage, but don't illuminate as well as the normal beams.

·
Registered
94 Posts
HID headlights are a really bad idea. HID lamps pull more power the standard lights. Also go to consumer reports and look at the cars that have them from the factory. You will notice electrical issues related to them. Also if you really want to do this right it requires new wiring. Just look around and you will see the real kits run about $300.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Michael K. said:
Are the headlights on the Caliber just brighter than normal, or did some of them make it out of the factory improperly adjusted? When I drive at night with my low beams on, people keep flashing me as if my brights are on.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would getting the adjustment checked/adjusted fall under warranty work?
As far as I remember, mudstone did write just about the same "problem". He got flashed by other s several times during his roadtrip to Italy.

I'm pretty sure that it originates from an improper adjustment during production.
Just go and have a dealer check it - won't take more than a few seconds to have a result and if any re-adjusting is needed, that'll be done under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
steveb said:
HID headlights are a really bad idea. HID lamps pull more power the standard lights. Also go to consumer reports and look at the cars that have them from the factory. You will notice electrical issues related to them. Also if you really want to do this right it requires new wiring. Just look around and you will see the real kits run about $300.
Actually that's not quite right. The HID lamps do require about 30 000 volts when lighting up, but after that they run on minimal current. Normal halogens take about 55 watts when HID's are only 35 watts. You don't need any new wiring as the ballast unit produces the high voltage on startup, and if you buy an aftermarket HID kit, it includes heavier wiring between ballast and lamp unit.
But what's most important is the automatic headlamp leveling system and the headlamp washer system which are required with HID lamps here in europe. Also as the headlamps are probably not designed for HID usage, so there's a possibility for a great deal of glare, which will blind the oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put a full conversion kit in, and had my guy wire up headlight washers, they're wicked sweet :D If you dont necessarily need the brightness, you could always do HID fog lights, less intense, easier install, lower price, better safety. But I guess it isn't an issue cuz you guys are sayin they're too bright. Man, I wish mine were that bright!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The HIDs will never work properly in our headlights unless you change the relector. Our headlihts aren't designed for HIDs. They are designed for halogen bulbs. If you notice, all the cars with HIDs have different stye reflectors and lenses compared to other cars. That's where the brightness coms rom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't just change the light, I changed the whole system including new reflectors. The HID's in there look just like my dad's cadillac SRX's HID's... So I guess mine work fine, it just costs more money. Bulbs = 40 a pop, full kit = 500. The difference is there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does it bother anyone else that when you use your turn signle the head light goes off? Now that I know that is does this I notice it all the time. I get that when your driving durning the day it goes off, but when your driving a night other car driving see that you have a burnt out light. It really bothers me.:mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Head lights , low beams with fog lamps are just as bright as high beams, just high beams angled higher up. Most people should know that most cars equipt fog lamps that that fog lamps go off with high beams, That has helped me in determining if low beams are on with fog lamps, Just picked up the wifes caliber tonight after 13 weeks of waiting and its a sweet ride for a 4cylinder, but love my Charger better.....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Casey said:
Does it bother anyone else that when you use your turn signle the head light goes off? Now that I know that is does this I notice it all the time. I get that when your driving durning the day it goes off, but when your driving a night other car driving see that you have a burnt out light. It really bothers me.:mad:
The headlights stay on at night if they are switched on. The only time they go out with the turn signal is if your car is equipped with DRL's.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was in my wife's Saturn L300 and it is low and wow the Daytime Running lights are bright with the Caliber behind it. She dims the mirror in the day... she made me drive her car to show me how it looks and I agree. But I think it has something to do with the height of her car.

And yes the lights do not go off with the blink when they are turned to on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts