Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if any of you have taken a look at how the rear interior trim and headliner come off?

I was thinking of installing a backup camera and a driver visor lcsd into the caliber.

For the cleanest install, hiding the wiring in the headliner (for the visor) and in the rear interior trim for the camera were my main concerns.

Any help would be much appreciated,

[D]

·
Registered
506 Posts
here's how you do it.... you turn around when backing up and don't watch movies while driving.... thank you for saving some lives :-D

·
Registered
126 Posts
mudstone said:
here's how you do it.... you turn around when backing up and don't watch movies while driving.... thank you for saving some lives :-D
:eek: OMG, that was just to funny, ever see the peopel driving down the road fixing their hair, or even better putting make up on. Hmmm, then they wanna give us the finger when we cut them off, when in reality they aren't paying attention.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Diesel,

I'm Sorry that nobody really answered your question! Too bad all anyone would post was shytti opinionated remarks. I'd like to know too; but for other reasons... especially the headliner... not that I'm gonna tell why now.

b0bberRT - one day old CaliberR/T owner (Bright Silver, MT, FWD, Cloth, Tow, DCI)

·
Registered
976 Posts
diesel604 said:
Wonder if any of you have taken a look at how the rear interior trim and headliner come off?

I was thinking of installing a backup camera and a driver visor lcsd into the caliber.

For the cleanest install, hiding the wiring in the headliner (for the visor) and in the rear interior trim for the camera were my main concerns.

Any help would be much appreciated,

[D]
If you send me your email address via PM (private message) or post it
here I will send you some Adobe pdf files that will probably help you.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would strongly advise against this because there are push pins and clips that will not seat as tightly the 2nd time used as they have the 1st time. Lets assume you don't break a push pin or clip and get it all back together looking good. You might start to hear noise vibrations that you didn't have before.

As I've said before I work on the right and left side rear QTR trim panels every night so I have lots of practice and I would not even consider doing what your suggesting.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would run the wiring under the edge of the carpet and up the A pillar to the visor. To losen the headliner to run a wire up you just remove the A-pillar cover and the sun visor and its mounts (including the clip that holds it in place). You can then pull it down enough to snake the wire up.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
ya it's easy to hide the wire.. you should have no problems hiding it. I have not done this in the caliber but in the jeep and neon i ran all the wires pretty much the same way for sat. radio to the front of the car just above the mirror ( outside of course) ...anyway just be careful and take your time it's no big deal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The headliner is removed through the front after removing the windshield!!! Mine had to be replaced because of a bad flaw in it.

You shouldn't have to remove the headliner to hide wires. You can simply tuck the wires along the edge above the weather molding. Or as others stated run the wires under the carpet and plastic floor molding.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You dont need to remove the windshield to take out the headliner. There is absolutely no need for all that. I had the entire front portion of my headliner down fairly easily when i installed my uconnect mirror.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fingernipp said:
You dont need to remove the windshield to take out the headliner. There is absolutely no need for all that. I had the entire front portion of my headliner down fairly easily when i installed my uconnect mirror.
Per Dodge service manual the windshield is removed and the headliner slides out through the front. I suppose they are afraid that too much flexing would result in permanent folds is why windshield removal is needed to fully remove and install the headliner otherwise.

It was a HUGE problem for them! The original problem was the drivers side sun visors mounting bracket was broken. They lowered the corner of the headliner to install a new bracket. Somehow some glue leaked through and stained the headliner. The dealer followed Dodges instructions to remove the windshield to remove the headliner. The contractor they used for glass removal thought the window was defective and tossed it in the trash. So a new windshield had to be ordered. End result was that for a $5 bracket the job cost for parts and labor was over $1000!! Somebody paid but it wasn't me!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Fingernipp,

Which direction do you go with the mirror to remove it from the windshield block? Slide Up the glass, Slide down the glass, twist the mirror head down? I'm thinking about lowering my mirror mount on the glass about 1/2" to make room above the mirror for my V1 (besides, the mirror doesn't look as far out the back window as I would like - the headliner and rear window frame get in the way)...

B0bberRT - [email protected]

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You unscrew the set screw at the base of the mirror where it meets the windshield and slide it (i think it was down).... It will make sence when you look at the base and where the screw is.

The mount on the glass may be an issue though. They bond pretty well and the likelyhood of you breaking the windshielf trying to get it off is very high. Unless you can find something that can dissolve the adhesive your gonna have to glue a new one on.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
'nipp,

I just noticed your tagline... How did you configure DRLs? (or should I be searching this site for it)?

& Thanks! for the mirror info

B0bberRT
Bright Silver Met R/T FWD 5spd;
Slate Grey Cloth, DCG, Trailer Tow
Grey slush mats
Adoption Date: 29-Jan-07
Current Odo: 1987 miles!
Next: Window Tint, Valentine One w/remote display (brackets made), Aux Power Port

1 - 14 of 14 Posts