Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, love my caliber, love, love, love it!! :D I think I got one that was made after all the first round problems were figured out.

There is one issue that is driving me a little nuts though, the rock-hard headrests in the front seat! Wouldn't be that much of an issue, except on certain small streches of highway the headrest goes in to Tigger mode and starts bouncing the back of my head like it was trying out for the Harlem Globetrotters! Stretches of smooth pavement seem to set up some kind of resonance with the seat, and if I try to rest my head against the headrest it bounces at about 2 to 3 times per second until I give up and lean forward or I get a numb spot on the back of my head. Tried adjusting the seat, still doesn't help! Anyone else get this weird phenomenon, or is it just my car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't experienced a thumping headrest. But I will say, the headrest is anything but designed for resting. In my opinion the headrest is another example of the cheapness of the car. It seems poorly designed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Possibly the headrest is designed to be uncomfortable to prevent you from falling asleep at the wheel!!!!

This could be considered a feature, LOL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
isn't the headrest a safety feature. that way it stops your head from getting whiplash. ive never used a headrest unless i was in passenger seat asleep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe that's the problem, the headrest was designed for safety only (and it would be impossible to fall asleep on it, whether that was an intentional feature or not!) In my last car, a Jetta, the headrest was really comfortable enough to lean back against and chill out during those drives home after a hard day at the office. I hardly ever used it, but it was nice to be able to when I did.

Simple fact: You can't call it a headrest if you can't rest your head on it!

·
Registered
976 Posts
mad-city-caliber said:
First of all, love my caliber, love, love, love it!! :D I think I got one that was made after all the first round problems were figured out.

There is one issue that is driving me a little nuts though, the rock-hard headrests in the front seat! Wouldn't be that much of an issue, except on certain small streches of highway the headrest goes in to Tigger mode and starts bouncing the back of my head like it was trying out for the Harlem Globetrotters! Stretches of smooth pavement seem to set up some kind of resonance with the seat, and if I try to rest my head against the headrest it bounces at about 2 to 3 times per second until I give up and lean forward or I get a numb spot on the back of my head. Tried adjusting the seat, still doesn't help! Anyone else get this weird phenomenon, or is it just my car?
The euro style headrests are defintely not designed for comfort,it was the
first thing (and only) complaint my wife had as she is vertically challenged
and can't adj any lower.
Her solution was to the black gel seat cover from one of my old mountain
bikes and stretched it over the headrest (black seat/black SXT) she
claims it fills the bill for now.
No it was washed first!!!!!
Oh by the way I tried the ones from my 98 Caravan Sport,the support rods are spaced differently.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've never used a headrest while driving. No car I've ever owned would be comfortable to drive with head resting against it. It's for safety in an accident.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Huff said:
It's for safety in an accident.
cali_stang said:
isn't the headrest a safety feature. that way it stops your head from getting whiplash.
mad-city-caliber said:
Maybe that's the problem, the headrest was designed for safety only
Sorry guys . . . I don't buy that. If it was a safty feature I would think it would be more pillow like . . . well, like that big pillow that pops out of the dash in a wreck. I haven't read anywhere in the crash test that talk about the headrest in the Caliber as a safty feature. I have the feeling the Caliber's headrests were designed more for form than function. I'm not saying that the headrest doesn't provide head support. I'm just saying that its a stretch to argue that Dodge designed the Caliber's headrest for safty over comfort . . . I don't buy that. :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I find them rather uncomfortable as well. I really wish they could be tilted back a little. The way they are now, the top (even with them fully exteneded up wards) is right in the middle of my head. Tilting back a little would be much nicer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Principal said:
I find them rather uncomfortable as well. I really wish they could be tilted back a little. The way they are now, the top (even with them fully exteneded up wards) is right in the middle of my head. Tilting back a little would be much nicer.
That's how it is for me. I just don't use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, did a little more checking in the Caliber manuals and brochures, to see if I was missing anything about how to adjust (or remove!) the headrests. Fun fact I came across, they all refer to these as "Head Restraints", they don't even bother to call them headrests. I guess that should give some clue as to what the Dodge engineers designed them for, but "Head Restraints" sounds more like something out of that scene in "A Clockwork Orange" than a feature I'd want on my car. Especially since they're about as comfortable as they appear in that movie.

Would be easy to make them comfortable as well as safe (like I said, my Jetta had great headrests). It's a small thing, hopefully they'll tweak it in the next model year (any Dodge reps monitoring this board?) and I can just buy a new one for the driver seat and swap it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
stevo said:
Sorry guys . . . I don't buy that. If it was a safty feature I would think it would be more pillow like . . . well, like that big pillow that pops out of the dash in a wreck. I haven't read anywhere in the crash test that talk about the headrest in the Caliber as a safty feature. I have the feeling the Caliber's headrests were designed more for form than function. I'm not saying that the headrest doesn't provide head support. I'm just saying that its a stretch to argue that Dodge designed the Caliber's headrest for safty over comfort . . . I don't buy that. :cool:
Whether you buy it or not Head rests are not meant for sleeping or propping your head on while driving. They are to protect your neck in case you're hit from behind.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had mine filled, padded, and rewrapped when i installed the TVs. the rock hard hole just wasnt doin it for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great!! That's EXACTLY what I'm talkin about, might have to check out one of the auto upholstery places around here and see what it would take to have it done. Did you have the monitors put right in the headrests, or in the seatback? Pictures and specs, please!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
in the headrest.

·
Registered
644 Posts
less whip lash, more skull fractures and brain trama... glad they weighed this stuff out before installing um...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts