Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen these headrest Monitors with DVD Players.

http://invisionindustries.com

They look pretty cool, and replace your headrest in the caliber. All wires go down the headrest posts and are hidden and extrememly easy to install. Each headrest has it's own DVD player, or they can both watch the same dvd plus infrared headsets and game inputs in the front.

Let me know if you have any experience with these or your opinion or any other options for Monitors and DVD's in the Caliber. They don't have a Caliber headrest, but it will be the PT Cruiser headrest which is similar they tell me. They will even do custom colors if you have Katskin seats or they have the factory colors in stock.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep, I have the dual dvd system from Audiovox... Since Audiovox is the best in the market and well I sell them, I bought that. I had them in my durango and since it's the same mfg they fit. So I am getting them recovered and we are installing them in the caliber.
THEY ARE AWSOME!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
One thing, and the manual references this.

With the second generation air bags, they use weight sensors in the passenger seat to determine if the air bag should deploy, deploy delayed, or not at all, based on the weight of the passenger.

Adding a screen to that seat defeats this, moreso, sends a false signal to the air bag module, meaning it thinks there is a heavier person in the seat than there is. The weight sensor is a safety feature.

Something to think about.

S

·
Registered
92 Posts
the dvd headrests don't weigh all that much so it really should pose an issue.
worst case senerio is that the airbag is going to deflate if no one is sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't know if I am supposed to quote prices here,Your Dodge Parts Dealer can get pricing on them, but my local Dodge Dealer sells them for $1,700 installed, but I have a friend that is a parts manager at a Dodge dealer that is going to sell them at a discount. They also get the same warranty as your Caliber which is 3/36,000. if anyone is interested in pricing let me know since I am not trying to advertise, just wanted to see if there were any better options. What I don't want is something with wires and seperate DVD Players under seats or something like that. This is about the best setup I have found, Just price is a little high. The other option is overhead drop down player, but I have a Sunroof, and it probably won't fit or have the same features. It would be nice for each kid to have their own dvd player and monitor and headsets.

I have looked at other options, that are cheaper, but this is exactly what I am looking for. Wireless IR headsets and 2 separate DVD players or they can watch the same DVD from one headset. They also just plug into each other and have a Cigarette lighter plug and can also have a FM Transmitter to transmit to your stereo.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
to be honest, though it is nice to have it all compact and what not, i dont feel that 1700 is a value, id rather pay 100 for a regular portable that i can put on the headrest on trips and take with me when i need, yes this set up looks nice and is convienent but for the price not worth it to me, i can put 2 dvd players i buy from walmart with headrest holders for about 100 each maybe alittle more, which is much more of what i would want. just my opinion though, i do think it looks nice though

·
Registered
92 Posts
you can probably get them cheaper installed at an aftermarket place as the dealer mark's up everything they sell..
I bought my set for $850. BUt that's only because I rep the factory that makes them. THen I just pay a professional to install them. ANd you don't void any warranties.
The portable dvd players are nice, yes and portable, but you don't get the same quality of the movies as the installed sets. The installed sets don't skip, jump or shut off as the portab;e ones do.
obviously it's just a preference on what the quality and what you want to pay.
I would only buy Audiovox brand, but that's me. I don't know how that other brand is as I have never heard of them and I've been in this business for 8 years.
the dual dvd headrest system I would think is the best investment, especially if you spend alot of time in the car with your kids... nice quiet rides :)
my 2 yr old even knows how to turn them on.
good luck on your decisions...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Blewiz2 said:
the dvd headrests don't weigh all that much so it really should pose an issue.
worst case senerio is that the airbag is going to deflate if no one is sitting in the seat.
Actually, the worse thing could be that the bag fully inflates when it should safely only partially/slowly inflate like it should when the person in the passenger seat is of a certain weight warranting the slow inflate.

I agree they do not weigh much, but its something to consider.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wouldn't the air bag sensor be in the seat bottom not the back rest?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xlimodriver said:
Wouldn't the air bag sensor be in the seat bottom not the back rest?
I believe the Air Bag Seat Sensor is in the seat bottom, and does not include the weight of the seat, I believe it picks up the weight from the pressure on the center of the seat since the frame of the seat is bolted securly to the body, but I am just guessing, but you are probably right.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked through the service manual, and there appears to be multiple weight sensors in the passenger seat. It appears that they pickup the weight on the seat, and not the weight of the seat if that makes any sense. So it appears that adding weight to the seat anywhere other than the bottom cushion will not change the passenger seat airbag.

BTW, that was the most boring reading I have ever read. There are so many safety precautions associated with working on the airbags that are repeated on every page.

Later

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts