Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im John, and im a Dodgeaholic :D
I myself drive an 06 Daytona Charger, girlfriend drives a Dakota, dad drives a ram, etc, etc, you get the point :rolleyes:

Anyhow, i've been talking my brother in-law into a CALIBER. It seems like a perfect fit for him. But before we go for a test drive I wanted to come on here and see if you folks could help us out a little bit. Consider it some pre-sale research.

What do you love about the CALI?
What do you hate?
What kind of things should we look for and stay away from?
etc....

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer. I'm sure my bro-in law will end up on this board sooner or later :eek::p

·
Registered
775 Posts
What do you love about the CALI? Almost everything. The fit, the feel, the ride. . . . For someone who stands 6 feet tall, the Caliber is very comfortable to fit into, in fact it's the firt car where I DON"T hanve to push the driver's seal all the way back just to fit in. The Caliber handles corners well, and cruises at high speed well. Is very capable of merging into highway traffic without a problem. While it doesn't exactly ride like a car, it doesn't ride like a truck either, the ride is unique but very comfortable.

What do you hate? I can't see the end of my hood from the driver's seat. I find not being able to see the front of the car to be very annoying. The bottom of the back window is a little high limiting visibility while backing up. I'm going to be adding parking sensors to the front and rear of mine.

What kind of things should we look for and stay away from? I can't say there is anything I would advise to stay away from, but there are some options you can get to make the car better. Cruise control, keyless entry, 6 disc CD w/MP3, etc.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
With out a doubt go for the DCG package!

·
Registered
689 Posts
You need the Drivers Convienence Package and MusicGate as must options, if you don't get those two minimum, you will kick yourself later. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats so great about the MusicGate? Do you really find yourselves using it much, those of you that have them?

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Music Gate option is great. No, I don't use the flip down speakers. However, the upgraded speakers all the way around sound much better than the standard speakers. The other very nice feature included with the music gate option is the steering wheel controls and leather wrap wheel. For the price its an option thats well worth it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Musicgate option is a must. i love to play it loud and proud. i have it plus 2 additional subs that i added coming to a total of 11 speakers.
The CVT transmission is great for a smooth comfortable ride, but most of us here have come to the conclusion it takes a little but away from the cars initial pickup. Its a little laggy off the line but once you get it going it accelerates pretty good. Seats are comfy, rides really nice, gas milage is pretty descent even on the R/T (which is what i have)... plenty of room in the car. i lug a baby a stroller and diaper bag damn near everywhere these days and it accomidates everything just fine.
things i dont like. the engine is a little high pitched at higher RPMs and the overload of plastic intertior. not very comfy on the arms for long drives. the door locks get in the way of where i like to rest my elbow... and to me the suspension could be a little more stiff, and i wish they woulda started with a little lower stance. 7" clearance is a little overkill for a "euro sports wagon" IMO.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I say music gate is a must as well. Even if you later plan to upgrade your system its great until then and you get some interior panels that would be perfect to hide an aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The musicgate comes with the rear r/s subwoofer vs. the storage door qtr trim that you get if you don't order the musicgate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Downs:mad:--First off do not get the music gate...better just to get an aftermarket system. I wouldn't recomend the glove compartment cooler, it's uselss unless you take looonnnnggggg trips (doesn't cool drinks, and is nothing but a selling point). Lots of cargo space (for a "car"), ok power, style is...eh. the sun roof is like 2 inches by 5 inches<<exaderation. get blue tooth for the ipod cause the caple looks tacky and gets in the way. base suspension sucks so get the upgraded suspension. traction on the FWD sucks cause of the masive torque steer so get the AWD. high center of gravity (solution eibach), tacky grill [upper and lower(get billet)], very poor headlight bulbs (get silverstar), big ass tail lights, tacky interior color (getting it painted black), big ass exhaust "tank" that sticks out too much, heavy, not to much potential for performance, air intake system is a joke, battery is located in the engine bay decreasing the battery life and taking up space. crowded instrument panel, upper glove box is almost useless cause of size, EXTREME lag due to the CVT II ("rubber band") trying to catch up to the engine.

UPS:D--Lots of cargo space (for a "car"), good MPG, get abs and TC, fog lights help out a lot, easy to do maintenance (oil and hoses), great for economy purposes!!

VERDICT--Over rated but is still a good reliable car that you can...learn...to like mainly reliable and good on gas...the most important if you ask me:cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I find quite the opposite true of the caliber. Music gate is very good for a stock sound system. Styling depends on the viewer and in my oppinion its the best looking small car on the market now. The glove box cooler works great and is very useful even for short trips...I bring my lunch to work with me daily but i warm the car before i leave and i throw my lunch in the glove box when i turn it on as to not forget it. When i get to work i pull it out and its still as cold as if i took it out of the fridge when otherwise it would sit in a hot car with me. Headlights are very bright and give decent pattern. Those bluish tint bulbs look terrible. The comments "air intake system is a joke, battery is located in the engine bay decreasing the battery life and taking up space" are absolutely rediculous and i dont feel i even need to comment on them.

My final oppinion on the car is that it should be available with a normal automatic but otherwise its likely the best bang for the buck car in its class.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Music gate is very good for a stock sound system.
LOL...a tiny 8" sub for that size car is unbelievable...speakers are ok.

Fingernipp said:
Styling depends on the viewer and in my oppinion its the best looking small car on the market now.
Interior is gross...even on the R/T it's the same as the se sxt. Ugly white plastic and headliner. not much to it, kinda plain.

Fingernipp said:
The glove box cooler works great and is very useful even for short trips...I bring my lunch to work with me daily but i warm the car before i leave and i throw my lunch in the glove box when i turn it on as to not forget it. When i get to work i pull it out and its still as cold as if i took it out of the fridge when otherwise it would sit in a hot car with me
Yes if you put something thats already cold it will "maintain" the temp, but if you put something that room temp it pretty much stays like that, and yes i had the dealer check my coolent.

Fingernipp said:
Headlights are very bright and give decent pattern. Those bluish tint bulbs look terrible.
No sir you are wrong, they have the lowest brightness of all 4 cars i've owned...My fault for not test driving at night:eek:. And i agree those ricer bulbs are tacky

Fingernipp said:
The comments "air intake system is a joke, battery is located in the engine bay decreasing the battery life and taking up space" are absolutely rediculous and i dont feel i even need to comment on them.
Actually im interested in what you have to say about my comment...so feel free to make a friendly, intelligent debate.

The reason i say they are a joke is because the stock air intake systems is way to restrictive and air flow is diminished by small ducts that feed the air into the air box. (see pic)

How do you expext to feed an engine with that 1.5" X 3.5" crap:confused:?? Plust the batter is in a horrible position for long life...LOL that "heat rap" thing is useless as well.

Fingernipp said:
but otherwise its likely the best bang for the buck car in its class.
for ~$20,000 there are much better cars...example

Honda Civic EX $18,710--w/ optoins--Better interior materials, gas, and dont forget it doesn't have a rubber band to lag TB response.

Chevy Cobalt SS 2.4L $18,850--MUCH more power, good styling,pioneer systems w/ 10 sub that hits pretty hard, 170HP 2.4L VVT engine which TAG Racecraft has a turbocharged 281HP kit for. Good Interior, 18" wheels, lots of speed. Not to mention programable software from HP Tuners.

Chevy Cobalt SS 2.0L S/C ~$20,000-- CAN YOU SAY....BOOOOOSSSTTTTT Cool style, pioneer systems w/ 10 sub that hits pretty hard LOTS GM certafied performance options, stage 3 kit puts the 2.0L at just over 270HP, header, exhaust and wont void warranty

Scion TC $16,000+--Good style, lots of options, S/C Kit, good gas

Pontiac G5 & G6 ~$17,000+-- See Chevy Cobalt SS 2.4L. G6 has an available 3.5L V6

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
None of those cars you compared come with AWD or the ground clearance comperable to the caliber. You also make it sound like you have not heard the musicgate system. That little 8" sub sounds great in the car. Unless your looking for eyeball wiggling bass its plenty. The chillzone is NOT a refridgerator. It is advertised to only keep stuff cold... not to cool things. At a price of $19,600 the AWD R/T even with just standard features is a good buy. I disagree on the honda interiors being more attractive though... softer yes but everything is padded in a low grade foam rubber that is textured like it was fingerpainted on. Having rented a cobalt for my mother i was impressed by its size and comfort but interior styling was bland i felt somewhat cramped in the drivers seat.
Your comment about the airbox is rediculous because its not a high performance engine in the R/T trim level. It outputs 173hp and is designed for around town drivability in mind. A restrictive intake causes turbulant air and increased low end torque. You open that up you will immediately notice a loss in torque. For a 3300lb AWD car thats not really a good thing to give up for a little upper RPM hp gain. As for the battery... you wont find too many economy class cars with trunk mounted batterys. Besides its a hatchback... where else do you suggest it be placed? On FWD cars there is no added benifit to a rear mounted battery other than space savings.
I also noticed most of your car recommendations were based on performance primarily. Most of us arnt looking for something to race around in and are more than happy with the performance the caliber offers. I personally own 3 cars and each has its purpose. The caliber is a comprimise between my 2 others offering cargo space and AWD yet some fun to drive and manuverability. Makes for a great daily driver and i recomend anyone looking for a new car to at least give it a look.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fingernipp said:
None of those cars you compared come with AWD or the ground clearance comperable to the caliber.
Last I checked the AWD is not all-time AWD so why add the extra weight for something your not going to use...and if your going to use rain and snow as an excuse, common sense will be better suited for those types of conditions. As well as determining whats safe to drive in for you and your family.

Fingernipp said:
You also make it sound like you have not heard the musicgate system. That little 8" sub sounds great in the car. Unless your looking for eyeball wiggling bass its plenty.
Not that the systems isn't ok, but it's rather weak for a "upgraded" system. Just saying you can get a better one for your liking instead of just setteling for that one.

Fingernipp said:
The chillzone is NOT a refridgerator. It is advertised to only keep stuff cold... not to cool things.
Granted it's not going to freeze your drinks, but have you ever seen the comercials?? Those waters are sweating, which usually indicates close to freezing temps. Also the term "chill zone" is falsley used, false advertisement if you perfer. But i give DCX props for putting that out as a selling point

Fingernipp said:
Having rented a cobalt for my mother i was impressed by its size and comfort but interior styling was bland i felt somewhat cramped in the drivers seat.
Did you rent the stock 2.2L?? which is an ugly interior, but the one i recommended has an upgraded well designed interior and comes w/ a 2.4L engine, like the caliber r/t.

Fingernipp said:
Your comment about the airbox is rediculous because its not a high performance engine in the R/T trim level. It outputs 173hp and is designed for around town drivability in mind. A restrictive intake causes turbulant air and increased low end torque. You open that up you will immediately notice a loss in torque. For a 3300lb AWD car thats not really a good thing to give up for a little upper RPM hp gain.
Do you know what R/T means as far as DCX is concerned?? Some will say Road and Track others will say Racing Technology, which is rediculous:confused:. Either way it's used to suggest some kinda "sportiness" so again, false advertisement for those the ad aims at. It's kinda dumb to use the R/T badge and only have 173hp at the crank, or is it just me? Depending on the intake used you can control low end torque and high end performance, anyone whos worked with intakes knows this. Using a SRI you will increase low end torque while sacrificing minimum top end. Using a CAI will give best all around performance, along with filter and tubing size, your "turbulant air" (which is the most childish thing i've ever heard of anyone believing in) wont be compromised. Using an intake thats not suited for the engines natural power is what decreases low end torque or those ricers who take off their filters when they "race."

Fingernipp said:
As for the battery... you wont find too many economy class cars with trunk mounted batterys. Besides its a hatchback... where else do you suggest it be placed? On FWD cars there is no added benifit to a rear mounted battery other than space savings.
Again the chevy cobalts come with a rear mounted battery...there is enough space where the tire is for a suitable battery. Again:rolleyes:....exposing a battery to heat is not good for battery life.

Fingernipp said:
I also noticed most of your car recommendations were based on performance primarily. Most of us arnt looking for something to race around in and are more than happy with the performance the caliber offers. I personally own 3 cars and each has its purpose. The caliber is a comprimise between my 2 others offering cargo space and AWD yet some fun to drive and manuverability. Makes for a great daily driver and i recomend anyone looking for a new car to at least give it a look.
LOL...again:rolleyes:...R/T= sporty?? so ya there are better choices for all around performance and are still great for the family. Say you wanna drop of the family whereever and go pick some stuff up....so your driving along and you check your mirrors...no cops. so what do you do, you give that engine a good hard pull (something the wife wouldn't approve of especially if your kids are in the car.) and the caliber lags...i dont have to mention that im sure. Plus you have less of a chance rolling over in those other ones than the calibers high center of gravity.

The Caliber is a good car for economy, but as far as performance and economy there are better choices than the "R/T."

In the end it all comes down to whats best for you and your family, So INTREPER my advise would be

1. Go everywhere and look at everything
2. Make decision based on how long your keeping the car
3. Set priorities (wants and needs)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Sweating drinks actually means warmer ambient. Condensation forms on the outside of a colder object when placed in a warmer enviroment. Hence why your windows fog on the inside during those cold winter days with the heat on... and on the outside on those hot summer days with the AC on. Its how dehumidifiers work as well. Just an airconditioner running without pusing air through the cooling elements. Also why your AC in your car has a drain.
I agree that you shoudl shop around... If you expect the caliber to be a high performance vehicle you will be upset if you buy it without testing it first. I would not steer someone away from the caliber based on your misconception of the car though. i knew from day 1 it wasnt a fast car and because of that i expected lower insurance rates and an economical vehicle.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Oh yeah the AWD is on over 25mph or when a wheel slips. It helps with stability.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Barking Spider said:
Downs:mad:--First off do not get the music gate...better just to get an aftermarket system. I wouldn't recomend the glove compartment cooler, it's uselss unless you take looonnnnggggg trips (doesn't cool drinks, and is nothing but a selling point). Lots of cargo space (for a "car"), ok power, style is...eh. the sun roof is like 2 inches by 5 inches<<exaderation. get blue tooth for the ipod cause the caple looks tacky and gets in the way. base suspension sucks so get the upgraded suspension. traction on the FWD sucks cause of the masive torque steer so get the AWD. high center of gravity (solution eibach), tacky grill [upper and lower(get billet)], very poor headlight bulbs (get silverstar), big ass tail lights, tacky interior color (getting it painted black), big ass exhaust "tank" that sticks out too much, heavy, not to much potential for performance, air intake system is a joke, battery is located in the engine bay decreasing the battery life and taking up space. crowded instrument panel, upper glove box is almost useless cause of size, EXTREME lag due to the CVT II ("rubber band") trying to catch up to the engine.

UPS:D--Lots of cargo space (for a "car"), good MPG, get abs and TC, fog lights help out a lot, easy to do maintenance (oil and hoses), great for economy purposes!!

VERDICT--Over rated but is still a good reliable car that you can...learn...to like mainly reliable and good on gas...the most important if you ask me:cool:

Your comment on the musicgate system sounds ignorant and leads me to believe you have not had the pleasure of actually hearing one. Good bass is not just dependent on the size of the driver. Most listeners (from personal experience ) will be wowed by the musicgate system. You may be knowledgable re: building or modding your own but don't assume others are. Poor recommendation from you for the largest portion of prospective purchasers.

I have a friend with a Mazda 3 GT who thinks the R/T interiour is great. You may like the softer look but I and perhaps others wanting to own the car awhile don't want it looking ratty in a couple of years. There are a couple of areas where a little extra padding would be welcome but again the negative interior comments are exaggerated. Me thinks you are regurgitating FUD comments that lack real objectivity.

The sunroof is plenty big for this type of car. What are you smokin?

Bluetooth (Uconnect) option is for handsfree cell. Get informed.

Stock lights are great. What other car has better? Is this car being bought for offroad rallying?

Glove box / Cooler offer very good capacity in this class. If you don't think the cooler is effective, the storage space is welcome anyways. Way more room than other cars.

Battery location is bad? You mention one car without the battery in the engine compartment. What about all the others? Access to the battery is relevant here as well or does that not cross your mind.

CVT transmission is not for all. Choose the manual if you like head lurching clutch drops.

Let me clear up something for you. The Caliber "is not" a sports car. Comparisons to a sports car do not apply. If someone was looking to buy a sports car this is not the one for you. If you are not looking for a sports car, the Caliber is well worth considering for its all around attributes.

Now go shake your head and wake up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
TechMan said:
Your comment on the musicgate system sounds ignorant and leads me to believe you have not had the pleasure of actually hearing one. Good bass is not just dependent on the size of the driver. Most listeners (from personal experience ) will be wowed by the musicgate system. You may be knowledgable re: building or modding your own but don't assume others are. Poor recommendation from you for the largest portion of prospective purchasers.
It's not ignorance it's personel view kinda what you might call an "opinion" much like the feeble minded one you are making now. Suggestions evidently lead to ideas that might come along in an open mind as opposed to your narrow minded interpretation, which can only discribe you as a Dodge caliber nut hugger and nothing more. Options are more important than selective choice, so dont get your panties in a bunch

TechMan said:
I have a friend with a Mazda 3 GT who thinks the R/T interiour is great. You may like the softer look but I and perhaps others wanting to own the car awhile don't want it looking ratty in a couple of years. There are a couple of areas where a little extra padding would be welcome but again the negative interior comments are exaggerated. Me thinks you are regurgitating FUD comments that lack real objectivity.
I honestly could care less what your friend and you think about the R/T, so dont expect for me to consider some one like you, who i'm guessing by your screen name thinks he's the Einstein of cars...did you think for some reason your name was going to over shadow your inferiority complex? or it was some how going to intimidate?

TechMan said:
Bluetooth (Uconnect) option is for handsfree cell. Get informed.
I ment this you dumb ass....think before you type fugazi

TechMan said:
Access to the battery is relevant here as well or does that not cross your mind.
LOL...idiot:rolleyes:... The cars that have the rear mount also have a + and - prong in the engine compartment...saving space and still allows "access"...again think....

TechMan said:
Let me clear up something for you. The Caliber "is not" a sports car. Comparisons to a sports car do not apply. If someone was looking to buy a sports car this is not the one for you. If you are not looking for a sports car, the Caliber is well worth considering for its all around attributes.

Now go shake your head and wake up.
If it's not supposed to be a spots car....why does it have an R/T badge?? Which i believe i went over and wont repeat myself...

Now take your head out of your ass and let go of dodge's nuts;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Barking Spider said:
It's not ignorance it's personel view kinda what you might call an "opinion" much like the feeble minded one you are making now. Suggestions evidently lead to ideas that might come along in an open mind as opposed to your narrow minded interpretation, which can only discribe you as a Dodge caliber nut hugger and nothing more. Options are more important than selective choice, so dont get your panties in a bunch

I honestly could care less what your friend and you think about the R/T, so dont expect for me to consider some one like you, who i'm guessing by your screen name thinks he's the Einstein of cars...did you think for some reason your name was going to over shadow your inferiority complex? or it was some how going to intimidate?

First you say you are entitled to an opinion. No argument about that. Then you follow that with " I could honestly care less what your friend and you think...... " Thats hypocracy outright. Are you the only one entitled to an opinion or is your opinion the only one that matters? As you mature, and because everyone has one, you will come to realize that it's the source of an opinion that really matters.

"Options are more important than selective choice"

I don't get that. It means what?????

I ment this you dumb ass....think before you type fugazi

Next time be more specific. You are advising another poster who cannot read that between the lines.

LOL...idiot:rolleyes:... The cars that have the rear mount also have a + and - prong in the engine compartment...saving space and still allows "access"...again think....

Not to the battery itself. This also involves running high amperage cables to the front and rear adding more failure points and complexity.

If it's not supposed to be a spots car....why does it have an R/T badge?? Which i believe i went over and wont repeat myself...

While historically Dodge has used the R/T moniker to indicate a performance model, it also is used to identify a trim level.

Now take your head out of your ass and let go of dodge's nuts;)
Nice responses....full of foul language, lacking substance, defensive, and typical of an individual with some growing up to do. My comments stand. Your entitled to yours. I just wanted to point out your comments conflict with the vast number of prior posters who think differently than you do. You do not handle criticism or counterpoints very well and express yourself crudely. Take a pill.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts