Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys ,i was driving in the morning and while i am at a stop i noticed a rattle coming from the engine i push slightly on the gas and the rattle goes away,i let go its right back ,now this is while iam in neutral ,so i play around a little and i noticed when i push the clutch the noise is gone and the sonest i release the clutch its right back ,and again the car is in neutral,when a gear is selectet the rattle is gone its only when the car is in neutral,what can this be ,it sound like i am driving a diesel,thats how its sound ,oilevel is to the max,could there be anything wrong with the clutch???any help wellcome, Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like your engine is pinging. Nothing is rattling. It's pre-ignition that causes your engine to sound similar to a diesel. It is a known problem and there is a TSB for it to have the computer flashed. However, I had this done and it did not remove the issue entirely. Mine still pings when it is over 90F ambient temp.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
tupmeier said:
hello guys ,i was driving in the morning and while i am at a stop i noticed a rattle coming from the engine i push slightly on the gas and the rattle goes away,i let go its right back ,now this is while iam in neutral ,so i play around a little and i noticed when i push the clutch the noise is gone and the sonest i release the clutch its right back ,and again the car is in neutral,when a gear is selectet the rattle is gone its only when the car is in neutral,what can this be ,it sound like i am driving a diesel,thats how its sound ,oilevel is to the max,could there be anything wrong with the clutch???any help wellcome, Cheers Thomas
Mine does the same thing too! - i thought it sounded funny!

November 06 build date

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Tup,

I noticed the same "diesel" sound too and asked the service manager why it was doing that a couple months back and the response I got was as follows:

" Out of the three engines that are available in the Caliber the 1.8L is the loudest of the three followed by the 2.0 and then the 2.4 for quietness."

I asked if there was anything that could be done to quiet the sound and his response was a flat "No, it is just the way that they are built."

I have noticed that it can be quite a bit louder if the car has a load on it like defroster, lights, rear defroster A/C etc etc.

As for the sound only happening when the clutch is engaged and disappears when the clutch is disengaged is due to the additional effort at idle that the engine requires to turn the clutch. If however the clutch makes sounds when it is depressed then it can indicate that the throw-out bearing is going.

If anyone manages to get this fixed, please post the TSB # hehe.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Recall order F29 supercedes and includes a TSB for engine pinging (spark knock). It seemed to help mine but did not cure it completely. On a hot day (over 90F) it still pings at idle or when accelerating.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys ,hey at least its not the clutch :p ,but i will go to the dealer and see what he says on the 20 of march,cheers thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts