Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am in the market for a new car.

Like most people on this forum, I fell in love with this car upon first sight, let alone after my test drive.

I know the differences between the two, however a few questions arise.

I have found an SE for about $14,500 with auto, 2.0L, air, power window, locks. Everything else is base.
There is an SXT avaliable for $15,500.

These prices are after the $500 factory rebate and the dealers offer of $1000 in gas. I factored in the gas becuase it is just as good as a 1000 rebate.

Does the SE with the power options come with the 115v power adapter, or not at all on the model?
Also, does the SE fold down at all, or do I have to get the SXT for that? If the answer is no, my decision is much easier. I carry tons of computer boxes all over the place, so how much room does the trunk have without the seats folding down?

The wheels are not that important to me, especially for $1000.

I am trying to decide on this car or a 2005 Pontiac Vibe with 18,000 miles for about $12,000. Any thoughts?

I know this is a dumb questions to ask since this car came out, but what do you feel this car will depreciate? More than average? This is my first car purchase, and I am nervouse, and do not know much about this kind of stuff, so any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
746 Posts
as i said in the last forum...

i'd just go with the sxt. i know it's a thousand bucks more, but over five years that only works out to $20 more a month. you get so much more for that money. you get a nicer looking front facia, you get reclining back seats, you get fold flat front passenger, you get the flashlight at the back, 17inch wheels, you get the tach on the cluster, you get the 115vlt outlet, the driver's seat also goes up and down, all this for a measley $20 a month. i'd say it's worth it... did i miss anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
superbang said:
as i said in the last forum...

i'd just go with the sxt. i know it's a thousand bucks more, but over five years that only works out to $20 more a month. you get so much more for that money. you get a nicer looking front facia, you get reclining back seats, you get fold flat front passenger, you get the flashlight at the back, 17inch wheels, you get the tach on the cluster, you get the 115vlt outlet, the driver's seat also goes up and down, all this for a measley $20 a month. i'd say it's worth it... did i miss anything?
I think that just about answers my question! I appreicate your thourough answer, and it looks like I will go with the SXT. Now, is that a good price for one? How about depreciation?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'de go with the SXT too. Also, it will increase your re-sale value later.

Yes, I think that is a very good price! Buy it! (and then post pics!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
daffysales said:
I think that just about answers my question! I appreicate your thourough answer, and it looks like I will go with the SXT. Now, is that a good price for one? How about depreciation?
for that price...it seems that it would be a stock sxt...with no features.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
RiCEADDiCTBOY said:
for that price...it seems that it would be a stock sxt...with no features.
it is stock, but I really dont care about the speakers (i go to the beach maybe once every 2 years). nothing else really matters. I live in Fresno, CA, where we sometimes are the hottest city in the U.S (upwards of 110 sometimes), so none of the heating stuff is necessary. The leather is not a feature I really care about, because I am always tossing huge boxes in the car, so I wouldnt want something to happen, and like I said, it gets HOT! A sunroof/moonroof is something I would like, but for 750 I can DEFINETLY do without. If I want to add something, I have lots of friends that do bodywork/sound equipment, so I will get a much better price.

Any thoughts on the resale value in say, 3 years? I imagine that if Im getting it for 15,500, the value would drop to 9000 with 45,000 miles?

·
Registered
60 Posts
daffysales said:
it is stock, but I really dont care about the speakers (i go to the beach maybe once every 2 years). nothing else really matters. I live in Fresno, CA, where we sometimes are the hottest city in the U.S (upwards of 110 sometimes), so none of the heating stuff is necessary. The leather is not a feature I really care about, because I am always tossing huge boxes in the car, so I wouldnt want something to happen, and like I said, it gets HOT! A sunroof/moonroof is something I would like, but for 750 I can DEFINETLY do without. If I want to add something, I have lots of friends that do bodywork/sound equipment, so I will get a much better price.
it won't come with speed control (aka cruise control), fog lights and etc...

...features i think are a bit needed (which should come standard...stupid dodge)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RiCEADDiCTBOY said:
it won't come with speed control (aka cruise control), fog lights and etc...

...features i think are a bit needed (which should come standard...stupid dodge)
I have had a 1996 Taurus, 1998 Ford ZX2, 1996 Camry, and the car I have now, a 2001 Ford Focus. I have never EVER used cruise control on my car. I dont know why, I just dont like not having total control over the car. I only had foglights on my focus, and while they look neat, it rarely gets foggy here (maybe 5 days a year, and not very much). And that would add nearly 500 dollars to the car, and I am trying to stay under 16.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test drove the car yesterday, and I like the sound system. My dad is a car dealer, but these are totally unavaliable at the auction. He has had two magnum's, endless Town and Countries, and tons of Dodge Caravan's. ALL THE SPEAKERS SOUND LIKE CRAP! After 75 on the highway, you can barely hear what is playing. How does it sound on the car at high speeds? When I test drove it, we couldnt go faster than 60.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far a depreciating, it is next to impossible to determine. You have to factor in that this is a new model and it depends on the reliability, supply, demand, and options. With the different models, SE - SXT - R/T - and soon to be SRT. you will find little difference between the se and sxt in price.

Cars will depreciate on average about 2-3k per year.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
R/TOgilvie said:
As far a depreciating, it is next to impossible to determine. You have to factor in that this is a new model and it depends on the reliability, supply, demand, and options. With the different models, SE - SXT - R/T - and soon to be SRT. you will find little difference between the se and sxt in price.

Cars will depreciate on average about 2-3k per year.

Hope that helps.
it does, I can buy a 2006 magnum se for around 16,800 +tax/license. I can beat depreciation for a year, becuase this is considerably less than every deal I have seen. It has about 22000 miles. I love BOTH cars, but I will be driving at least 15-20k each year, plus it gets 17-23 actual mileage. I can get the SXT for 500 more, which I most likely would, but then it takes 89octane, so it would cost even more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is the thing, depreciation is a fad that car dealerships use to sell cars. The reality is that most people are buying cars that are used for 5-10years. By that time, you are either going to trade it in or keep it.

The dealership will trade to what ever amount it takes to get you a new car.
Why are you concerned so much with depreciation?

I feel that it is "what you want" that should count. Find something you want and get it. If you want a magnum, get it. If you want a SXT, then get it. If you spend too much effort looking for the best deal, you end focusing more on that then getting the car you really want (and then you end up selling it! :)

Just my 2 cents.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I have just grown up under my Dad's roof. He is a car dealer, and I can see what they go for. It is a tough choice, I love both cars, but that Caliber is just so cool, and becuase I am a college student, money plays a factor. The fact that my dad can get them so much off plays a factor as well, as he can beat deprecation. I know they say that to sell cars, and I will keep that in mind.

As long as Im getting a good deal on the car, I think Im going to get it. Can people post what they paid for their SE and SXT's and where. I dont mean to be nosy, I just HATE getting ripped off.

Just my 2 cents.
:rolleyes:[/quote]

·
Registered
62 Posts
daffysales said:
I can get the SXT for 500 more, which I most likely would, but then it takes 89octane, so it would cost even more.
If you're saying the Caliber takes 89 octane, thats not the case. All the caliber engines call for 87.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Could be really as simple as this: Since you mentioned cost is a concern because you are in college, then get the vehicle that costs you less to buy and saves you money at the gas pump. i.e. the Caliber.

Completely my opinion, but if a used car and a brand new car cost roughly the same amount, I'd go for the brand new car.

But here are a few more questions for you to ponder...

For how long do you plan on keeping the car? If you plan to sell it after only a few years, okay be concerned about depreciation (so that you can figure out its future market value). But if you plan to keep the car for its lifetime, depreciation and future selling price should not be a concern at all.

Is the insurance rate for the Caliber higher or lower than the Magnum? Factor that into your monthly expenses too.

What is the maintenance/repair record on the Magnum? Did the previous owner maintain it properly? (22K miles is kind of on the high side of average for a 2006 model year car.) Was it in an accident?

Also consider that 2/3 of the factory warranty on the Magnum is already used up. (It's 3 yrs or 36K miles, whichever comes first, and its already at 22K.) Would you buy an extended warranty after your first year of driving to cover the additional years you will have the car?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
@Daffysales, if both the SE and the SXT have the 2.0L/CVT then I'd go with the SXT. Besides what others have mentioned the power door/window/mirror controls are great.

If the SXT doesn't have the 2.0L then I'd get the SE because I think the CVT/2.0L combo is more important than the gadgets.

·
Registered
746 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
What is the maintenance/repair record on the Magnum? Did the previous owner maintain it properly? (22K miles is kind of on the high side of average for a 2006 model year car.) Was it in an accident?

Also consider that 2/3 of the factory warranty on the Magnum is already used up. (It's 3 yrs or 36K miles, whichever comes first, and its already at 22K.) Would you buy an extended warranty after your first year of driving to cover the additional years you will have the car?
extremelly important point kathy... also to consider is who the previous owner was... if it was just off a lease, i'm betting for the last year of the lease they drove the crap out of it, also if it's a rental no one takes care of those babies... i highly doubt a magnum was a taxi or delivery vehicle, but are those miles hwy or mostly city...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
superbang said:
extremelly important point kathy... also to consider is who the previous owner was... if it was just off a lease, i'm betting for the last year of the lease they drove the crap out of it, also if it's a rental no one takes care of those babies... i highly doubt a magnum was a taxi or delivery vehicle, but are those miles hwy or mostly city...
It was a daily rental. We have had two of them, and they run great with no problems whatsoever. I never thought about some of the stuff mentioned. I plan on keeping it for about 3 years. Is my estimate of abou 9 grand off? I know there is very little way of telling, but what have your cars depreciated?

·
Registered
901 Posts
daffysales said:
...I plan on keeping it for about 3 years. Is my estimate of abou 9 grand off? I know there is very little way of telling, but what have your cars depreciated?
My previous 3 cars have been leased, so it's irrelevant.

Speaking of leases though... Chrysler Financial probably has an estimate you may find helpful, since for leases they have to set the residual value in order to determine what the payments are going to be. So if you really need to know, you might want to talk to a dealership. (wait, you said your dad is a car dealer...? can't he get this info from Chrysler Financial?) Not that what they say will be 100% accurate, since there is no history for this car to base the estimate from. But it would be better than any of us Joe (and Jane) Consumers can tell you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts