Dodge Caliber Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I talked with my service manager and it seems there's talk about the new oil reminders being a bit to sensitive. The reminder is based on mileage and type of use (aggressive vs. passive). He said to use the reminder as a que to check your oil level and color between changes. If everything looks good stick with your normal oil change interval. 5k is the standard but they do mine every 4k and that seems to be good.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Its a 13mm wrench for the drain plug...

And my oil change reminder hasn't come on since the first time (at ~2600)! I wonder why? Not that the engine computer knows that I have changed the oil, but I have been changing with Mobil 1 every 5k. I wouldn't mind stretching it out more since I'm using the synthetic; but my manual says change every 3k (not 5k). Do the newer manuals indicate a longer interval than 3k?

My Yukon XL had a "similar" system except that it told me a lot more (it would indicate oil life remaining). I used the Engine Oil Life telltale and would run it from 100% Engine Oil Life down to Change Oil and then reset for another 50% before changing (again using M-1). But I would get almost 10-12k miles per change in the Yukon that way... much easier to tolerate than changing my oil more often than every two months (14 changes in 19 months).

If the Mopar system indicated oil life remaining based on duty cycle, I'd probably get almost 8-9k per change using the same method as before... I just don't want to push this little aluminum 4 banger too far; its gotta last me almost another 160k before its paid for!

·
Registered
23 Posts
b0bberRT said:
Its a 13mm wrench for the drain plug...

And my oil change reminder hasn't come on since the first time (at ~2600)! I wonder why? Not that the engine computer knows that I have changed the oil, but I have been changing with Mobil 1 every 5k. I wouldn't mind stretching it out more since I'm using the synthetic; but my manual says change every 3k (not 5k). Do the newer manuals indicate a longer interval than 3k?

My manual says every 6K on my 08 SXT!

Jim

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know where the hell you guys are getting 5K as the oil change interval. In the Caliber SRT-4 manual it states 6K miles is when you do the oil changes according to the maintenance log. It does go on to say that the EVIC will alert around 3k or 6k depending on driving style. But no where in the manual does it say anything about 5k, 4k, or any other interval besides 3k or 6k.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Well... I said I was changing my oil every 5k, because my owner's manual actually says every 3k; and since I am using Mobil 1 full synthetic not Dino Oil, I was stretching it to 5k.

Since I posted that message, and saw that Jim's newer owner's manual states 6k; I've stretched mine out further. I now am pushing 9k between changes... which has helped my pocket quite a bit. I still haven't seen a Change Oil Reminder come on since the first time; and I only reset it that one time at sub-3k miles.

go figure...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Funny, my change oil light has only came on four times with 30,300 miles on it. The fourth time was yesterday, about 15 minutes after getting the oil changed! I had to laugh!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there...i am facing the exact same issue..but the thing with my car is that this msg appears even after getting the car back from its services.
like i got my car back on thursday morning after getting the 40K miles service, less than a day later, that freaking msg came back!
Do you guys think there is a default or something is actually wrong?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey there...i am facing the exact same issue..but the thing with my car is that this msg appears even after getting the car back from its services.
like i got my car back on thursday morning after getting the 40K miles service, less than a day later, that freaking msg came back!
Do you guys think there is a default or something is actually wrong?
Have you already tried this procedure:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts