Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick recap for those that don't know. I had my windows tinted and it was real bad. They scratched the glass itself on the two back windows. I ahve not seen the car but they have had it since Fri. . They retinted the windows and say it's good. He said they can't get the scratches out of the glass and offered me a full refund. The glass wil still be scratched. I don't know what to do.

Pics in a thread called just my luck. Sorry was in a hurry when I posted this , hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
153 Posts
They should replace the scratched windows. I had a car tinted about 5 years back, and they scratched the glass and when I picked up the car, they told me they scratched it as soon as I walked in and had already ordered the window from the dealer and the dealer would replace it and the tint shop paid to have it done. They also gave me the tint job for free for my hassles and they picked up the car from the dealer and tinted the new windows and had it ready for me. Scratches can happen, but they need to do what is right.

Hope this is not too harsh, but they should take care of you.

In my own business I install business phone systems and one time I had a technician set a phone down on a $5,000 new cherrywood desk. The feet on the bottom of the phone ruined the finish on the desk. The phone was worth $175.00, long story short, I bought a new desk. No questions asked and had it delivered and let them keep the old one for their hassles. The business has to do the right thing. You are being very patient, but they are not doing the right thing.

That is when you know if you are dealing with a reputable person or not.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Scratch the tint shop owner's windows (or the windows to his shop!) and call it even. If he isn't keen on that idea, make him replace your windows or promise him he'll get some serious negative PR. Post his name and number here so we all know not to use him, etc. unless he makes good on your glass.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DON'T scratch the owner's windows or anything else for that matter. Retribution is not a resolution. Tell the owner that since his shop damaged your windows, you believe it's his responsibility to replace them. If he refuses then it's time to go to court.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Really makes me worried as to what i will find when i finally roll my windows down for the first time. Looks great with them up but that means very little.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Really makes me worried as to what i will find when i finally roll my windows down for the first time. Looks great with them up but that means very little.
That's one of the worries I have about tinting. With my luck I'll roll down the windows and get a big tear in the tint film.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He says they don't want to break the factory seal. Is that a real issue ? My Dad said to make them replace the whole car. Doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I agree with the general tone of the responses to date.

Boil it down to the basics.

Even if you take the full refund, you still have damage to your windows. Your vehicle is devalued, including resale value and potential. If anything happens to that tint in the future, the scratches are exposed, and there is no recourse because you probably (in most jurisdictions) waived any rights to future recourse if you settle it now.

"Break the factory seal"? If one exists and it's a major concern to THEM, then it's still no big deal on your part - they are responsible. I would get a written estimate FROM A DODGE DEALER of what the replacement costs are - and what effects breaking the factory seals (or whatever does apply) may have on your warranty (probably none, but it gives you leverage to claim that you are being reasonable in your request), vehicle value, etc. Have the DODGE DEALERSHIP also state what would be the effects on your warranty, etc if any window replacement is done by OTHER than an official or authorized DODGE DEALER/VENDOR.

Inform the tint shop that you WILL get estimates from at least 2 MORE DODGE DEALERSHIPS, but that they will also be presented with your additional necessary travel and other related costs as part of any civil action.

If you have to take it to court, have your legal representation (or own contention) base the tint shops liability on the "consequential damages" concept.

Good luck. The tint shop that did this, I'm SURE, is aware that this is an "easy way out" that they hope you will take that gets THEM of the hook while YOU are still stuck with damage that THEY caused and THEY are actually liable for. If they have a business legal counsel, this may already be a suggested action by them to the business. If they are a REPUTABLE, etc tint shop, they should have insurance that covers such liability regarding damages to your vehicle. The shop may be hesitating to make a claim for fear that it will effect their premiums, etc. That's THEIR problem. Most likely, either the shop knows all this, has checked with those resources, or their legal counsel and insurer are acting together to prevent any loss on their part and stick YOU with damages, loss of value, etc.

Oh, and they pretend to be "nice guys" in most cases. Don't buy it.

It's just too risky on your part. I wouldn't settle at this point. Why accept damages to your car, and relieving them of any responsibility and liability for future actions against them for this?

If you would settle at this point, it's the same as if someone just walked up to your vehicle, damaged it, and you accepted it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Harley. Get a written estimate for repairs from a Dodge dealer and submit it to the tint shop for reimbursement. The tint shop should pay for a Dodge dealer to do the replacement with factory glass, not aftermarket.

If the tint shop does the replacement then they may void parts of your warranty dealing with the glass and anything inside the doors (switches, motor, wiring etc.).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Not to mention if you got vin etched glass you will need it redone on the new glass

·
Registered
82 Posts
get them some jewlers rouge you can pick it up at any jewlery store it will polish the scratches out if there not to deep

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Don't buckle. As most everyone else said. The shop is liable for any damages they caused, whether it be a scratch on a window, or wrecking your car. I'm sure if they backed into something and dented the bumper, you woulnd't even be considering taking a refund on the tint job as re-imbursment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tell them you want new windows and you want the refund and when you get the new windows in they better re-tint them for free also. Its not your fault thier tint installer wasnt paying attention to detail and screwed up your windows, besides thats what they have insurance for! Either way I would make them eat all costs!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
One thing I omitted to suggest in my last thread:

If you haven't already done so, start and maintain a log of all contacts with the tint shop. Start with the very beginning, when you first contacted them to have the tint job done. Most importantly though, is a good detailed record of all contact and exchanges with them AFTER the job was done and you disputed their results.

Be sure to document times/dates, who you spoke with, what was said (and HOW it was said), etc. Also maintain and make copies of all written communications, estimates/receipts, offers, etc.

This will all be very important if/when any future action is taken. If it goes to arbitration, court, etc - such organization, preparation, and presentation are vital to impress the judgment of any trier of fact.

And, if you haven't already done so, you could consider and shop for consumer resources (Better Business Bureau, government consumer affairs departments, advocacy groups) and attorneys (many advertise in "consumer protection" or similar disciplines and may offer free initial consultation) to assist and guide you with their services and resources. The above preparation regarding a good record of all activity and contacts is extremely important to present your situation to them - so that they can better assist you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got off the phone with the owner again. I told him I wanted the windows replaced and a refund. He said no way and was a di-- about it. I told him I'm coming to pick up the car and taking him to court.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have a consumer protection office in your county or state? They have a lot of clout. Since they are really officers of the court. I live in Montgomery County Maryland, and when they show up the issues get solved quickly.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
dgksleeper said:
Just got off the phone with the owner again. I told him I wanted the windows replaced and a refund. He said no way and was a di-- about it. I told him I'm coming to pick up the car and taking him to court.
Go get 'em. Definitly follow the advice above about documenting all contact with the shop, and who you talked to each time with date and times. If you made phone calls, maybe print out your phone records to take with you to prove you called the shop and talked to someone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts