Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I have read almost all the posts and appreciate the wealth of information you guys provide. I decided to order a Caliber and went to a dealership with my specifications. They told me they were about to get one with everything I wanted but the uConnect, but they could install it.
I believe them but I will like to have a way to test it before signing the contract. I don't have the manual for the car but I know it is suppose to be integrated with the car stereo to pause the music when a call comes in.
Do you guys know a way I can run a test to see if everything is working properly with the uConnect? I was burn by a Saturn dealership a few years ago and I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a first year production AWD VUE. I had a strut noise the first week of ownership that wouldn't go away. I took it to the dealership and they exchanged with a new one but it developed the same problem after a month. I took it several times back to them until they finally fix it. Took them about 4 tries and 2 months :mad:
That's when I did a search online and found out (on a forum similar to this one) that the problem was very common among other problems that, thank god, I never got.
The car plastic material squeaks, groans and pops more that a Rice Kispies cereal's commercial. Once, I pushed the emergency signal button and it went all the way in. It also took them around 3 times (keeping the car the full day) to replace it.
My engine gives me around 17 MPG (City) and 20 MPG (HW). On later models they change the engine to something a little more efficient.
Needless to say, stay away from Saturn

·
Registered
321 Posts
The most important thing you'll need is a Bluetooth ready phone, which I'm sure you have. Once you're in the car, browse the manual to set everything up and then have someone call you. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
1) start the car
2) Set your phone to look for a bluetooth connection
3) Press the u-connect button
4) Say "Phone Pairing"
5) Say a Pin number
6) Enter the Pin number into the phone when it asks for it
7) Everything is setup now. Now hit the u-connect button and say "Call" then say the phone number.

·
Registered
245 Posts
athos1800 said:
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I have read almost all the posts and appreciate the wealth of information you guys provide. I decided to order a Caliber and went to a dealership with my specifications. They told me they were about to get one with everything I wanted but the uConnect, but they could install it.
I believe them but I will like to have a way to test it before signing the contract. I don't have the manual for the car but I know it is suppose to be integrated with the car stereo to pause the music when a call comes in.
Do you guys know a way I can run a test to see if everything is working properly with the uConnect? I was burn by a Saturn dealership a few years ago and I don't want to repeat the same mistake.
The UConnect System should be available as a factory option on all Caliber SXT/RT models equipped with the Driver Convenience Group. The Driver Convenience Group is a $400 option and UConnect runs $275. Installation of the system can take place after the vehicle has left the factory but I can understand your hesitation considering your issues with your Saturn VUE. It’s a modular swap so I don’t anticipate the dealership would have any problem at all.

First and foremost you want to make sure your phone is compatible with the system. A list of supported Phones can be found Here.

My suggestion is that before you take delivery of the vehicle, test the UConnect throughly.
Here are the instructions to pairing a phone to the system:

• Press the "Phone" button to begin.
• After the "Ready" prompt and the following beep, say "Setup Phone Pairing."
• When prompted, after the voice on beep, say "Pair a Phone."
• You will be asked to say a four-digit pin number which you will later need to enter into your cellular.
(You can enter any four-digit pin number. You will not need to remember this pin number after the initial pairing process.)

The UConnect™ system will then prompt you to begin the cellular phone pairing process on your cellular phone. Before attempting to pair phone, please see your cellular phone’s user manual (Bluetooth section) for instructions on how to complete this step.

Additional Notes
• For identification purposes, you will be prompted to give the UConnect™ system a name for your cellular phone. Each cellular phone that is paired should be given a unique phone name.

• You will then be asked to give your cellular phone a priority level between 1 and 7, 1 being the highest priority. You can pair up to seven cellular phones to your UConnect™ system. However, at any given time, only one cellular phone can be in use, connected to your UConnect™ System. The priority allows the UConnect™ system to know which cellular phone to use if multiple cellular phones are in the vehicle at the same time. For example, if priority 3 and priority 5 phones are present in the vehicle, the UConnect™ system will use the priority 3 cellular phone when you make a call. You can select to use a lower priority cellular phone at any time.

I hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Dan

·
Registered
245 Posts
Your welcome.

While I was composing mine, Steve posted. The information seems to coincide one another, one for your phone and one for the system itself.

I am sure this thread will be referenced sometime in the future. If you need further assistance you can contact UConnect directly @ 1-877-855-8400 (24/7)

Dan

·
Registered
118 Posts
The dealer installed Uconnect blows goats in comparison to the factory installed version. They are made by two completely different companies. The factory option one is made by Johnson Controls(HeHe, Good ol' Minnesota Company) and the other is from some outfit in Germany. Seriously, If you can wait the couple of weeks to get the factory one, do it. You will be really disapointed with the dealer one. It has it's own speaker and mic and it really isn't integrated into the car at all other than it turn off your radio when you use it. That and it has a dash "wart" where the controls are located. Just not as nice as the Factory one. I'm in the process of installing the parts for a factory one in mine. Just got it Monday. First one at the dealership. It will end up costing the same either way so might as well have it the way it was designed to be in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rcompart,

This are news to me. I assumed they will install the factory one (mirror). I'll speak with them since they pretty much told me that there will be no difference with the one installed in the factory. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Been there with other "dealer installed" options. Over the years and models they sure do have huge differences. Been dissatisfied with dealer options from way back. Sorry, I am biased - I like Factory installed stuff!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am getting the new blue tooth phones on Wednesday. Our service was out of the ones we were looking at, so again, I have to wait to try the new stuff.

We went with the Sony-Ericsson Z520A, it is even Mac compatible!

More to come..........

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks for helping out Dan and Steve! :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
rcompart said:
The dealer installed Uconnect blows goats ... I'm in the process of installing the parts for a factory one in mine. Just got it Monday. ....
I sure hope you're going to do us a favor and take pictures along the way. I'd like to know what connectors and components have to be fiddled with to get the factory mod in place. Lots of details is good, thank you.

This was the only option that I did not have in my vehicle that I thought I wanted, but it was also the only option that I was willing to accept as a no-show item. If I can put it in myself, I'll be one cool happy camper!!! As it is now, I'm just a happy camper.

Tyke

·
Registered
746 Posts
so i don't have a bluetooth phone yet as my contract still has one year and i want a contract discount on a phone, but just explain this to me if someone could... to call out you just press the button and say call and then the number, i get that, but if someone calls you, does it automatically go through the car or just the phone? i'm guessing it'll go through the uconnect system on a call in... right?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts