Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums so, hi everyone. I really like and am contemplating buying a Caliber SRT-4 when they come out, but I had an idea about a custom HEMI powered Caliber. Don't flame for this as I'm a mopar fan, but there is a kit out there to turn a focus into a V8 powered rear wheel drive car. I was curious as to see if anyone think it would ever be possible to make a rear wheel drive HEMI powered Caliber as the car does have a driveshaft tunnel for the all wheel drive. I know it would take a lot of custom work and parts and be expensive, but barring money, would it be feasible? I'm mainly interested in if the drivetrain would fit into the Caliber chassis. Do you think it would be possible to even fit a HEMI V8 in the engine bay? Also, it would more than likely have to be an automatic as I don't see the shift linkage on the manual squaring up to where a shifter position would be from how it sits off the dash, and engine management wouldn't be a problem as there companies supporting the HEMI now. Anyways, just an idea I was toying with and wanted some input from you guys, negative or positive. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
twinturbohemi said:
New to the forums so, hi everyone. I really like and am contemplating buying a Caliber SRT-4 when they come out, but I had an idea about a custom HEMI powered Caliber. Don't flame for this as I'm a mopar fan, but there is a kit out there to turn a focus into a V8 powered rear wheel drive car. I was curious as to see if anyone think it would ever be possible to make a rear wheel drive HEMI powered Caliber as the car does have a driveshaft tunnel for the all wheel drive. I know it would take a lot of custom work and parts and be expensive, but barring money, would it be feasible? I'm mainly interested in if the drivetrain would fit into the Caliber chassis. Do you think it would be possible to even fit a HEMI V8 in the engine bay? Also, it would more than likely have to be an automatic as I don't see the shift linkage on the manual squaring up to where a shifter position would be from how it sits off the dash, and engine management wouldn't be a problem as there companies supporting the HEMI now. Anyways, just an idea I was toying with and wanted some input from you guys, negative or positive. Thanks. :)
Transverse engine bays are generally quite spacious, as long as it isn't a short nose vehicle. So will the Hemi engine fit? Most likely, dimensions needed to be proven.

It may have a driveshaft tunnel, but you forget about what is between the driveshaft and engine, that giant transmission. There is no provision in the firewall for it, nor is there any provision in the cabin to fit it, the forward center of the cabin would have to be completely remodeled.

You must also remember that the car operates on the CAN bus, the Hemi engine doesn't, nor does aftermarket stand-alone ECUs. Getting the dash and throttle to cooperate will be a major hurdle.

If you want an engine swap, take the 3.5L V6 from the 07 Sebring Limited with it's 6-spd autostick. It is as close to plug-n-bolt-n-play as it gets on this car without being as expensive.

·
Registered
683 Posts
CoolCallie said:
You must also remember that the car operates on the CAN bus, the Hemi engine doesn't
My 2004 Hemi Durango uses the CAN-BUS. I thought most Dodges since 2004 do.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know, silly question but why would anyone want to add a huge engine to a small unibody style car? If I'm gonna put money into making a fast car I'd want something thats better to start from such that a fast, great handling vehicle is the result.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was not aware Dodge adapted to CAN so soon. I know Ford started in 2003 with some on its Mazda line and had full implementation by 2006.

Again, when it comes to major engine swaps in newer vehicles like this, it requires a standalone ECU, which I haven't seen any that used CAN yet. The chance of the Ram pickup using same electronic body components as the Caliber are very slim. Either that or you do like the Neon and carb the damn thing and forget about an ECU all together.

That is why I recommend the much more realistic engine swap above. The autostick in the R/T is a 41AE Ultradrive automatic. The 2007 Sebring uses a 41TES Ultradrive with it's 2.7L V6 and the modified version of the 41TE, the 62TE Ultradrive with the 3.5L V6. The 62TE is the 6-spd version.

The 2007 Pacifica also uses the 62TE and the previous year Pacificas used the 41TE and 41AE Ultradrives in their FWD and AWD configuration. The 41AE was the AWD transmission, found as far back as the early 90s AWD Caravans. I mention this for those who would like the idea of AWD and a 3.5L (Or perhaps a 4.0L adaptation?).

·
Registered
683 Posts
suzq044 said:
because small unibody cars = lighter than the cars/trucks that come stock with the Hemi or other v8's
Ya but a ton more flex and thus poorer handling than a car built for speed.

I love my Caliber but it's not the same as my old T/A. That car was fast, handled great but guzzled gas and leaked oil!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
this is why reinforcement is always a good thing [ie - rollcage/support beams under the interior trim.. stuff like that].. im getting to the point where i'm ready to lay out my design for the neon.. i photoshopped just something random yesterday -- basically; the foglights from hell. [i want projectors, a bad-boy bonnet, and rally lights that flip up from the bumper; to retain stock look; this (my 1gen neon) is going to be a mostly show car with the v8 power to push it.. i dont plan on racing it. much].. i may get another as a d/d or rally car, dunno yet .. but i love my neons :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts