Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a letter in the mail today from a Dodge dealer in town other than the one I bought my car from. It says "vehicle buy-back notice" When I first saw it, I was like, oh boy, here we go again. When i bought my '99 Dakota R/T, there was a factory buy-back on them due to incorrect towing capacity quoted in owners manual. So here I am thinking, for some reason Dodge is doing the same thing with the Caliber. The fact that it was from a different dealer hadn't even hit me yet. So i go on to read the letter, and it says the dealer is experiencing a "severe shortage" of vehicles in the "pre-owned" market. Meaning used. Says they have been authorized to buy my car back above market value and get me into another 2007 car for less than I am paying now. I'm half tempted to see what they are willing to offer me. Maybe upgrade to an Avenger if the price is right. Only thing that would suck, is having to start a loan all over again, and I really doubt they could keep me from going upside down on the loan.

Should I go see what the deal is. If all else, I use a little gas, and spend time at the dealer looking at new cars.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I get those type of letters all the time. The dealer just uses it as a gimmick to get you to their dealer to sell you a new car. They make the claim about lowering your payment without knowing a dang thing about how much you owe nor how much you are paying currently nor what your credit history is like nor how many months you owe at what interest rate. Besides, the dealer doesn't loan the money anyways. They just submit to various banks.

Sure they can get you into a new car at a lower payment. But you;ll owe for more months than you currently do.

It's a sales gimmick.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt I can owe for more months than I already do. I have a 72 month loan. And i realize they have no clue how much I have left to pay on my car, nor my credit history.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Something sounds a little scammy to me on this. The Dakota R/T was a different story though. I wonder how many owners took advantage of it. Don't see many of them around where I live and it was such a sweet truck.

Medic

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know of quite a few who took them up on the buy back for the Dakota R/T, only to turn right around and buy a '00 R/T replacement. I kept mine and took the 5 year 60K mile warranty option, and glad i did, since most of the problems I had occured after the factory 3/36 was finished. And luckily I found a mod friendly dealer to take my truck to. They always enjoyed when I took my truck in for work just to see what else I had done to it since the previous visit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Of course it's a sales pitch!

If you have nothing to do one day and want to check out the new lineup - what a better reason to. Especially ones that you would never think of buying but always wanted to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts