Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I am new here.
I am thinking of getting me one of these Calibers.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of Caliber ownership?
I am really liking the SRT-4.
Does anyone know when it will become available?
So why should I get a Caliber..please add your pros and cons ok?
thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, as for when the srt4 version is coming out.. that I'm not sure of.. however you need to ask yourself this.. Are you in the market for a sub sports car, or a fun daily commuter?. If you want the more sporty car by all means wait for the srt4 or purchase a mx5 from mazda, or the subaru wrx sti, or mitsubishi lancer evo. If your looking for a fun commuter you have various options.

Mazda 3 offers great acceleration via it's autostick mode, slightly tighter cornering abilities, but a less refined (imho) interior.
Toyota's matrix is a joke stacked up against the caliber for reasons too great for me to mention here.
Mitsubishi's Lancer is better than the caliber but has less road manners for daily commuting.. and an interior that is sub par when compared to the cars around it's class.
Ford's Focus line of cars are uninspiring in thier body designs and interiors.. and thier ride quality while subjective is rather poor...
Honda's Civic lineup is (imho) right on par with the caliber... it handles well, has a well thought out.. albiet odd interior and performs admirably with what it has under the hood.

Why did I bother throwing that in here.. well I dunno, I've spent time behind the wheel of all of them, and I figured I'd give you the quick and nasty of what I thought of them. Let's not forget that all the cars mentioned above cost between 4-7k CDN more than a similarly equipped caliber.

But back to the meat and potatoes of your question.. With the caliber you can expect this: Great interior room, and simplistic easy to use styling. A sporty (once you break it in and get used to it's nuances) sub wagon with adequate manuverability. Nifty feature set such as lighted cup holders, a chilled glove compartment for canned/bottled bevrages that works well on long trips, exceptional safety features such as side curtain air bags, and even shin/knee air bags for the driver, great stock audio options, Rock solid highway stability and the list goes on....

Now all is not well in utopia however... I won't bs you and make the caliber sound like it's the end all to be all.. she does have her share of problems like every car does.. here is the breakdown:
Some people don't like the fit and finish of the interior.. they say it looks cheap with all the plastic and that some trim panels don't fit as flush as they should. Also, interior noise can crop up such as rattles coming from the power window mechanism rubbing against the frame of the door (wich is fixable via warranty). Alot of reports about engine knock wich is fixed via a ecu flash that should already be applied to all new calibers.. and then there is the infamous "caliber click" in which the exhaust system emits a loud clicking noise while in operation and for 10 minutes afterwards ( that comes from the factory overtightening the exhaust resonator assembly).. the sad thing is, some people have had this fixed under warranty while others (myself included) cannot seem to wrange a fix out of our dealers and are forced to live with the annoying clicking.

A very limited amount of people report of stalling at random intervals. Now while this list sounds like the car is a lemon, in the grand scheme of things for a first run production car these kinda things are normal and are usually fixable via your warranty.

Well after a long winded post the final verdict is this.. The caliber is a great well rounded vehicle, it is a jack of all trades but master of none, has at least 4 key features that no other automobile on the road today can claim title to, has excellent road manners and on the whole is an absolute pleasure to drive day in and day out. While it does have it's problems 90% of it's owners have had the problems dealt with and continue to be extremly happy with thier purchases. With anything in life your mileage may vary, and I encourage you to check out the competition and drive all the cars that you have in your list of potential owners... Do not rely on kind or sour words you read in the forums or in magazines.. they are only guidelines... when push comes to shove it's going to be your money that you will be forking over to pay for the car.. please get the one that feels right for you!.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Please don't take this as a wise-guy response - it is meant to be more helpful and NOT meant to be rude in any way, but, everything that you are asking about is easily found if you simply browse the topics on the index page and enter some specific terms in the board's search feature.

If you browse the various topics on the index page, you will see these subjects mentioned many times - and other specific issues that may grab your attention. I considered the possibility that you may have already done this, but figured that if you had, the SRT-4 question and overall general questions probably would not have been posted as such in the first place.

It is indeed nice to have it all condensed, but there are just so many comments from so many people that can be entered in response to a series of very general questions like the ones that you asked - and many folks hesitate to post the same information over and over again (unless it is referring it to a previous entry or updated information).

Plus, some of our more helpful members may not see your posting, and we have lost a few members for various reasons who had contributed some really great input in the past about their Caliber experiences.

If you browse the index page, with the various forums categorized, you will see several discussion threads with titles that address what people like about the Caliber, what they don't like about it - with some containing that general wording (likes, dislikes, "problems", etc) in the title, AND some with specific likes/dislikes as part of the topic's title. Some of the issues are not directly related to the vehicle itself, but to concerns about the ordering process and availability of the Caliber depending on desired version, features, and geographic factors.

One of your specific questions that may be hard to answer is about the SRT-4 release - because it is indeed still not certain although it has been discussed and speculated on quite often on this board; it is one of those topics that is always closely watched by many AND receives much attention every time there is even a hint about a pending SRT-4 release.

My other basic input, as far as your more general questions about the pros and cons of Caliber ownership:

Pros:

- Economical, innovative, extremely cosmetically appealing, drives and handles well, no MAJOR defects/service concerns for a first-year vehicle, very versatile, etc.

Cons (see note after this):

- Performance and gas mileage seem marginal at first but noticeably improve during/after break-in, several minor service concerns by multiple owners(exhaust pinging, center console/seat/chill zone latch slide concerns, "not plush" interior (but it ISN'T a luxury car, either), etc.

NOTE: all these are discussed in many previous threads, which can be located by browsing the topics and entering the specific term as a keyword in the board's search feature. I should also mention that none of the "cons" seem to be very serious except in very isolated circumstances. The few dissatisfied persons were mostly addressing issues about the availability and wait for an ordered (versus an "on-the-lot" model) Caliber; these persons seemed to far outnumber the less than a handful who got a Caliber and regretted it.

Some other topics to ponder that don't necessarily fit into the "pro-con" list are issues about insurance, dealer impressions and actions, prices/financing various owners encountered, options (extended warranties, rustproofing, etc), finish maintenance (wax/polish, etc), modifications, options, and many others that you will see as you browse the index of topics. Our fellow board member "12AM" covered some specifics in his excellent reply before this.

As I said, I'm trying to be helpful with this reply. I'm sure you will receive more responses that may mostly recap some previous discussion and points about the Caliber; I just wanted to point out that you may get a lot more yet with BOTH these responses AND from actually browsing the previous topics and reading in more detail when you observe ones whose title shows that it has information that you may wish to see.

And, of course, whether it is the right vehicle for you may vary with what you like, need, and want. The Caliber seems to have a VERY broad appeal - across various age groups, vocations, etc. The more information that you have - the easier it is to consider and decide.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good post Harley. When I first read the thread title and post content my first thought was..whoa, all the info you need and then some is right at hand if you take the time to look. You posted my thoughts with great diplomacy and sensitivity.:cool:;) Now, can you tell me the meaning of life?:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a question and i know that its on here..but how is the leg room in the back seats and also how is the size of the interior overall????

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
TechMan said:
... Now, can you tell me the meaning of life?:rolleyes: :D
These 3 links can help answer that:

http://www.ericweisstein.com/images/meaning-of-life.jpg

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~dsroy/EVOLUTION.GIF

http://www.almeidacartoons.com/Biz_pix/meaning%20of%20life.jpg

My personal thought, as it applies to people:

There is no actual meaning to life, only a purpose. Our pursuit of the meaning of life often helps each of us find that purpose.

My own purpose of the moment is to pay more in college tuition this week for grateful Hooters waitresses than what I paid for my Caliber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 6 feet tall and I find there is plenty of room in all of the seats, no problems with head or leg room. I suppose three adults in the back seat for a long drive would be a little cramped, but this is not a giant SUV. I also think there is plenty of cargo space with the back seats up, and there is a ton of hauling capability with the back and front passenger seats folded down. Other posts have shown the vast amount "stuff" that can fit inside while still being ale to close the back.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
mistashady said:
i have a question and i know that its on here..but how is the leg room in the back seats and also how is the size of the interior overall????
I've had rear-seat passengers several times, no complaints from anyone. Their space, comfort level, etc all seemed appropriate for a car of this size and design. Some day, I may actually have someone else drive it while I ride in the back. I just don't want anyone else driving it yet. :p :eek:

Interior-wise, one notably positive thing that many have commented on was the head room. Taller drivers and passengers have been surprised and often expressed satisfaction here about that. It's interesting to note, as others have done so and I've noticed myself, that you can look at the Caliber from the outside and then feel like it's actually a larger vehicle when you get inside.

Interior cargo, etc space can be directly compared with other models by actual specifications from each manufacturer.- plus the innovative ways that seats, etc can fold or otherwise reposition for such interior versatility. The Caliber's brochure (available at any dealership) has a couple of pages devoted to showing the various combinations.

Also, as you stated about it being here, there are several previous posts under related topic headings here that feature photos of things that folks have hauled, plus family and pet-passenger comments and photos as well.

Overall, it just depends on the prospective owner's needs and what he/she expects to get back out of the Caliber. Based on the prior posts and my experiences, it's been mostly very positive as long as a person is realistic with such expectations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone.

Sorry. I am new to forums all together. I didn't think of searching.
Also, how do I put a photo in my posts?

I was wondering if the Caliber started out as the Dodge Advenger but chrysler changed their mind and made the Advenger into a Caliber.
Anyone here know?

·
Registered
901 Posts
X-Caliber said:
I was wondering if the Caliber started out as the Dodge Advenger but chrysler changed their mind and made the Advenger into a Caliber.
Anyone here know?
Nope, not related. Although, there WAS a concept vehicle a couple of years ago that was called Avenger, and looked a LOT like the current Caliber. But those who saw it in person said it was a much much larger vehicle. (PS: there is a picture of this concept car, posted by me, in the Pictures section.)

The previous Avenger was a 2-dr that became the Stratus Coupe. The replacement to the current Stratus might go back to being called Avenger, or it might stay Stratus. One web site that you might find useful on concept cars and what models are based on others is www.allpar.com.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you decide to get one, DO NOT order one! Find one you like on a dealer's lot somewhere. You'll be waiting at least 3 months for it to be built if you order one. There are plenty of Calibers out there now days unlike back when I ordered mine in May. I'm sure you'll fine one with the features you want, or at least most of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts