Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've been driving the Caliber, there's been something about the high/low beam headlights that just seemed odd to me. Tonight, I think I figured out what it is. In every car I've owned previously, when switching from high to low or vice versa, there's a moment between the two setting when one setting shuts off, then the next turns on, for a fraction of a second, it's as if neither setting is on. The lights almost shut off between settings. It's very quick and not something one would really notice unless they were looking for it. In the Caliber, it's the complete opposite. Between high and low beam, there is a very short moment when both setting are on. There is now "dark moment" between setting, there is a moment when things are much brighter.

Having driven all of these years with the lights working one way, it is something I am accustomed to. Now that I have a car that works another way, something just seemed different, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until tonight. I actually figured this out while driving my Nissan and not the Caliber.

·
Registered
258 Posts
really? all the cars i have ever owned (4 total) have always had all the lights on when switching.... i even enjoyed holding the switch in such a way that all would stay on in VERY dark areas...

·
Registered
683 Posts
All my cars have had both beams on for a split second. Older cars may behave different. Newer cars are computer controlled rather than electro-mechanical.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ashram said:
really? all the cars i have ever owned (4 total) have always had all the lights on when switching.... i even enjoyed holding the switch in such a way that all would stay on in VERY dark areas...
Me too. Beause I had 55/100w bulbs instead of the 55/60's in my Rabbit. And if you flashed someone who's highbeams were on, they knew about it...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The only other vehicle I can remember having that split second of "extra bright" when switching to high beam was my old 95 Jeep Cherokee. The Mercedes and BMW's always had a seperate housing for the high beam and the low beam stayed on all the time. Something I just noticed today driving home from Toronto was a silver Caliber in my rear view mirror and every time he cut in and out using his signals the DRL on the opposite side would dim. When he turned of the signal both DRL's would be bright. I got home and tried to duplicate this and couldn't. The DRL on the opposite side to the one that went out with the signal stayed bright.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All my previous cars had both lights on when switching, it seems to me like the Caliber has a little lag but not nearly as bad as the caravan.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
xlimodriver said:
The only other vehicle I can remember having that split second of "extra bright" when switching to high beam was my old 95 Jeep Cherokee. The Mercedes and BMW's always had a seperate housing for the high beam and the low beam stayed on all the time. Something I just noticed today driving home from Toronto was a silver Caliber in my rear view mirror and every time he cut in and out using his signals the DRL on the opposite side would dim. When he turned of the signal both DRL's would be bright. I got home and tried to duplicate this and couldn't. The DRL on the opposite side to the one that went out with the signal stayed bright.
the drl on the side of the signal should turn off, maybe it was just because it was in ur mirror?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
the drl on the side of the signal should turn off, maybe it was just because it was in ur mirror?
Sorry, what i'm trying to say is that the light that stayed on dimmed when the signal was put on, then both went bright when signal turned off. I've had my Caliber since April and the one remaining light remains bright when signal activated. Maybe this only on newer models or I have to get my eyes checked. Anyway, as others have posted on different threads over the months, the DRL's are way to bright. Members have posted about being "flashed":D by other drivers who think they have their high beams on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i noticed that with my cali that there a delay between the low and high beams...i push the stick forward and there like .5-1 sec delay between having high beams...the low beams stay on in the .5-1 second...it's just a small delay...and it's there from high to low too...
maybe that's what you're seeing...*shrugs*...

·
Registered
154 Posts
spike22 said:
i noticed that with my cali that there a delay between the low and high beams...i push the stick forward and there like .5-1 sec delay between having high beams...the low beams stay on in the .5-1 second...it's just a small delay...and it's there from high to low too...
maybe that's what you're seeing...*shrugs*...
Yup that's what I get, not as bad as the Caravan, but it just takes getting used to.

·
Registered
294 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Anyway, as others have posted on different threads over the months, the DRL's are way to bright. Members have posted about being "flashed":D by other drivers who think they have their high beams on.
Maybe because DRL are the high beams, but low power. If you use them at dawn/dusk, night, the aim is high (flashed). As long as you remember drl is front only, your back end is still unlite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts