Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a "General" question here... I took my car to get the tint put on yesterday.But while the tint guy was parking, I heard the engine revving high & loud for about 2 seconds. I wanted to whoop his arss.

Could this cause damage to the engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess it would depend on how high he got the RPMs. In any case, I'd be pretty pissed too. Did he say what the heck he was doing?

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TimSax said:
I guess it would depend on how high he got the RPMs. In any case, I'd be pretty pissed too. Did he say what the heck he was doing?
You know Tim... I didn't even ask. He had to have the RPMs near or at 4000-5000 After the engine idled, I kind of left it at that. But I noticed while on my way home entering on the freeway after the tint was done, I eased on the pedal as usual, but the car kind of stalled for a split second. It NEVER did that on me. Also, it took about 7-8 seconds more to get up to 60 MPH. I hope that MFCKR didn't do any damage. :mad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man, I'm with you on that. Might be worth at least a call to the dealer's service dept., although 4 - 5000 RPMs for 2 seconds shouldn't of hurt anything. I've had mine up past 4000 several times and it runs great. In fact with only 1350 miles, the last tank got 2 more miles to the gallon, over 28.
I should probably add that I'm no car expert and I'd defer to some of the more car savy members on this one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Rev Limiter on the car should keep the revs below what would cause damage. On my Dodge Truck, you cannot even rev it in neutral over about 5000 RPM's. It should cut out the engine when it reaches the rev limit. On my Truck, the Rev Limiter even if you keep it floored in first gear will cut out at 5700 RPMS. It is not something you want to do, but it should not hurt the vehicle on a stock engine.

If you notice any more problems though, I would take it in to have it checked.

But it is obvious that someone driving your car like that to work on it should not be in that position. I think a call to the shop owner would be a good idea.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
a couple of days ago, i went to start going forward, and i hit the gas, and i didnt go anywhere (didnt quite get it into D, from reverse... had it in neutral), i hit a rev limiter at 4k rpm, and it wont go past that.... even when its floored while in Park, and Neutral

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Brooksie1of1 said:
a couple of days ago, i went to start going forward, and i hit the gas, and i didnt go anywhere (didnt quite get it into D, from reverse... had it in neutral), i hit a rev limiter at 4k rpm, and it wont go past that.... even when its floored while in Park, and Neutral
This info is correct. I went on a test drive and tested it out, it was also weird not to see the RPM needle "bounce", it just stayed at 4K constant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It could have been an accident on tint guy's part.

A few years ago, I pulled the same thing on my own car. As I was parked (engine was still running), I reached into the back seat to get something and my foot hit the gas pedal. I floored it. Thankfully, the car was in park. I heard the engine revving up and I was thinking "what's that sound?" It took me about a second or two to realize that I was stepping on the gas pedal.

It could have been a similar situation with the tint guy if you want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sleazy said:
It could have been an accident on tint guy's part.

A few years ago, I pulled the same thing on my own car. As I was parked (engine was still running), I reached into the back seat to get something and my foot hit the gas pedal. I floored it. Thankfully, the car was in park. I heard the engine revving up and I was thinking "what's that sound?" It took me about a second or two to realize that I was stepping on the gas pedal.

It could have been a similar situation with the tint guy if you want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

That happen to me to, when I was getting my Dodge Ram truck wash the guy was backing up the truck and he did the same thing. My truck had Flowmaster Dual exhaust so it was pretty loud. Everyone in the car wash station got mad, especially the old people HAHA lol. That was funny.... I didnt care because I always did it to....

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your replies, input. I definitely feel a little better knowing that there is a "rev limiter" on the vehicle. But yea, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, car feels normal as far as I can tell. The pickup was just as good today while driving on the interstate this morning. We'll see! I'll keep my tight eyes on the matter.

Thank you all! I LOVE YOU GUYS!:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
This info is correct. I went on a test drive and tested it out, it was also weird not to see the RPM needle "bounce", it just stayed at 4K constant.
Wait a minute. So the engine would never rev past 4K? If that's true, then you'll never get the rated horsepower and torque out of that engine.

For the 2.4L engine, the rated HP is at 6K revs, and the rated torque is 4.4K revs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sleazy said:
Wait a minute. So the engine would never rev past 4K? If that's true, then you'll never get the rated horsepower and torque out of that engine...
I think he meant the limiter was in effect in Park and Neutral only....?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey, two comments from me... In my R/T, sometimes off the line I hit the pedal and I'm like WTF, no accel, and it almost seems to stall. More or Less gas and everything goes back to normal. There is definitely some technique to getting max accel off the line with my particular R/T.

Second, after seeing other owners testify to this, I left my autostick in gear without tipping it up a gear, and sure as shit, it shifts to the next gear on its own before redline. A built-in failsafe. While I don't recommend this for daily driving, if your late for a funeral, this is the way to go.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MetroAWD said:
Hey, two comments from me... In my R/T, sometimes off the line I hit the pedal and I'm like WTF, no accel, and it almost seems to stall. More or Less gas and everything goes back to normal. There is definitely some technique to getting max accel off the line with my particular R/T.

Second, after seeing other owners testify to this, I left my autostick in gear without tipping it up a gear, and sure as shit, it shifts to the next gear on its own before redline. A built-in failsafe. While I don't recommend this for daily driving, if your late for a funeral, this is the way to go.
Ouch! This isn't how it's supposed to be.:(

·
Registered
251 Posts
The rev limiter is only in park. The other limiter I have heard of kicks in when you're at 115. I'm not sure about Autostick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts