Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a few recent negative articles about the Caliber (L.A. times etc.) I would like some honest feedback from Caliber owners (not non owners who have nothing educated to say) as to if you have buyers remorse. I would prefer owners who have had their Cali for at least a few weeks so you are not all rose colored glasses when the car is right off the lot. I am serioulsy considering getting my down pmt back and waiting another year for the diesel or maybe something completely different like a Civic. So lets hear it folks.....would you do it again?

PS please don't factor in the wait for the car....just relate to the car itself.

thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a few regrets from my purchase itself, I wish I would have gotten an R/T..also Musicgate, Sirius and a few other things.

Not about the car itself, although I am one of the few that has had zero problems with mine.

Since you've already ordered my suggestion if make sure to order exactly what you want isn't helpful to you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have no regrets in the purchase... I wish mine had the Driver's Convenience Group, but since I bought mine off the lot, I can't really b*tch. Granted I have only had mine 4 weeks and one of those it spent in the bodyshop, I love the way the car "feels" and looks.. time will tell if it is as dependable as my trade-in was.. I guess it all boils down to what you are looking for in a car... this one fit EXACTLY what I was looking for.. is it perfect.. nope, but show me a machine built by humans that is... is it fun, damn straight...is it a race car in street trim.. not hardly, it is fun... YES... and I like RED....

·
Registered
901 Posts
ZERO regrets at all. i LOVE my caliber. I've had it since April 5 and approx 4400 miles.

I had a couple nit-picky things "wrong" (a micro mini paint chip I saw at delivery that was fixed within a week; a rattle that ended up being a loose heat shield; the very infrequently drippy rear washer) and a more serious issue of a cracked thermostat housing.

But these things get fixed - these problems can happen with ANY new car, not even a 1st model year, and all is good after they are fixed.

What exactly is the thing that is bothering you the most?

·
Registered
86 Posts
We've had my wife's Caliber SXT 2.0 for a month now. She is short and has a bad knee so I had to install handicapped pedal extenders. It also sits a little high for her and it's awkard for her to enter/exit. I've ordered lowering springs to drop it almost 2" for her. She drives it every day, shopping, etc. She likes it but is still getting familiar with it. I enjoy driving it but it feels slow off the line, but I drive my Magnum Hemi so I can't use that for comparison. It seems to have more cabin noise than I would expect but it's acceptable. I don't think it's insulated as well as the Magnum. The interior is OK. I got a dashmat to cut down on the reflection of the dash in the windshield. The air conditioning works very well and doesn't seem to load the 2.0 engine. I installed the Mopar CatBack exhaust and thea seems to add a little more pep to the engine. The system was not cheap but it was very easy to install and it's all stainless. The stock exhaust looks like it may be regular pipe, it's showing signs if rust. The Mopar CAI is much too expensive for what you get so I'm waiting for a reasonable priced one. All in all, we're very happy with our Marine Blur SXT.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had my Caliber since April and have approx 3600 miles on it. I love the car and do not regret my purchase at all. I have recommended the Caliber to friends who are in the market for a car. I like the aggressive styling, smooth ride, functional flexibility, the musicgate sound. Mileage is better than the Intrepid I replaced. The CVT is still weird. Not designed for lead foot like me.
Remember, though, this is a very personal decision and should be based on your wants and needs, not what anyone else says.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think my only regret involves the dealer, not the car. I've made several highway trips, been in town a good bit, down dirt roads and in one wicked thunderstorm and have had no problems. No, it's not going to have the get up and go of a 6 or 8 cylinder but I wasn't looking for a sports car. Although the transmission takes some getting used to, I often find myself going faster then I realized at first because you don't feel the shift. The room is awesome inside, love musicgate and the system, extremely happy I sprung for the sunroof. Don't expect the chill zone to reeze your stuff but it never said it would, it does however keep my cold drink chilled when needed. It really depends on exactly what you are looking for in a vehicle but I personally love my after a month.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
ZERO regrets at all. i LOVE my caliber. I've had it since April 5 and approx 4400 miles.

I had a couple nit-picky things "wrong" (a micro mini paint chip I saw at delivery that was fixed within a week; a rattle that ended up being a loose heat shield; the very infrequently drippy rear washer) and a more serious issue of a cracked thermostat housing.

But these things get fixed - these problems can happen with ANY new car, not even a 1st model year, and all is good after they are fixed.

I guess what is bothering me the most is I want Japanese quality with "all wheel drive" and the price of a Caliber instead of a Subaru. Also the first year thing bugs me too. I'm having to sell my mint 03 Dakota to pay for the Cali so my wife and kids have something economical and safe to drive. That leaves me with my wifes current 98 Neon to drive. I would rather drive the Neon than my wife and kids having to because of crash results/safety scores. I've never bought a japanese car and kind of want to but Dodge keeps coming up with these funky cars that grab me like a magnet.

·
Banned
400 Posts
kaptain said:
With a few recent negative articles about the Caliber (L.A. times etc.) I would like some honest feedback from Caliber owners (not non owners who have nothing educated to say) as to if you have buyers remorse. I would prefer owners who have had their Cali for at least a few weeks so you are not all rose colored glasses when the car is right off the lot. I am serioulsy considering getting my down pmt back and waiting another year for the diesel or maybe something completely different like a Civic. So lets hear it folks.....would you do it again?

PS please don't factor in the wait for the car....just relate to the car itself.

thanks
None with mine other than the "pinging", and that getting fixed in the morning. I do however have a gripe with the DEALER!

DodgeGirlKathy said:

DGK, I have a some what micro mini paint chip on mine too. Did they have to paint the whole part of that car, or did you just get a touch up?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm still wearing my rose coloured glasses, and I'm loving my new R/T AWD! Rides great, gas mileage is improving at 0.1 MPG per day, I'm at 600 miles now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wife loves hers. Over 2000km on it. She's had it almost 2 months. She keeps saying she can't believe how fast it will"giddy up and go"...just like her sled. It goes so far without gas that she forgets to ever look.
She's complained of rear washer leak, an exhaust rattle and that is about it. Only regret, her not wanting to wait a year for an SRT4. She loves the SRT4 but wanted a ride that had air conditioning for the summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am beginning to have regrets buying my Inferno Red SXT Caliber. I had electrical problems with it and in the first two weeks had it in shop 2 days. Then three weeks later it did the same thing again and was in for a week. I have 2000 miles on it and now my gas mileage has gone from 26 on the first tank to 18.5 on the one I just filled up yesterday. This car is rated at 26 to 31. I realize that is with the very best driver and conditions, but almost 10 miles less a gallon simply is not acceptable. Am thinking of keeping it for a few more months and trading it in before end of the year.

·
Registered
644 Posts
3K MILES. LOVE IT.... i have an R/T

·
Registered
381 Posts
6k+ miles. Working out great. mpg seems to be getting up there too. Last tank was 28.8mpg. with 70%highway @ 70mph and 20%city (25-45mph)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an R/T with nearly 4,000 miles on it, and I am still thrilled with this car. I would do it all over again in a second. Only regret is that I don't have the YESessentials fabric because I bought one too early. I enjoy this car completely,and I *LIKE* the fact that it isn't a fast car because it helps me stay out of trouble and keeps my insurance costs down. Fast driving belongs on a race track, not the public streets. Curvy roads are always fair game tho...........

·
Registered
901 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
DGK, I have a some what micro mini paint chip on mine too. Did they have to paint the whole part of that car, or did you just get a touch up?
It was just a while-u-wait touch-up. The spot was only about 1mm, and it was on an outward-protruding corner of the liftgate. Couple dots of paint over the spot, dot of clear coat, done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm very happy with my R/T. I've got 6000 miles on it now. I will say that I plan on getting the SRT-4 version when it comes out. But hands down, you cannot buy as much of a car as the Caliber for the same amount of money. There are so many features on the car, it's just incredible. True, some cars in the class may be a bit faster, but they'll cost several THOUSAND more than the caliber if you equip both cars equally. It's very quiet, very smooth riding, very comfortable. It packs a lot of storage space in it. And even more if you drop the rear seats and the passenger seat. It's a very versatile vehicle.

The Caliber is just a whole lot of car for the money.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Seats are not bolstered enough.

Armrest are hard and uncomfortable.

Gas mileage is adequate.

All the exhaust noise (clicking).

Torque steer on acceleration and vague steering on the highway.

Lacks power (2.0 l CVT).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts