Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

For the last month or two my 08 Caliber has been acting a little strange. It started with the horn honking twice when you turn the key to start the car. I tried googling this situation, but I can't seem to find any related threads. A few weeks ago, it also started honking once when the the unlock button was pushed. That night, when I went to start it, the panic alarm started going off and the key would not start the car. A friend advised me to unplug the battery for ten minutes, and then start the car, which worked fine. This week, I went to start my car in the morning and it was dead. It jumped fine, I drove it all day, parked it, then couldn't start it again around five hours later. I jumped it again, brought it home, left it over night, intending to jump it again in the morning, but it started fine, so I drove it over to AutoZone where they checked the battery and said it was "a little low" and that he could try to charge it or just replace it. I had him replace it, and the car has been acting fine since then, except the horn still honks twice every time I start the car. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have an idea why the horn honks when I try to start the car, if all these symptoms are related to something, and if the new battery will solve anything or do I need to take it in? I'm totally lost on this one! :mecry:
Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not. I suspect it is something electrical, but it is strange that it consistently honks when I start it. It almost seems like it is a warning or some kind, but I cant find any information on it. I tried replacing the battery in the key fob as well just in case, but no luck! I'm really just afraid that something is draining the battery (and trying to warn me?), and that replacing it will only get me so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it new from the dealer, but now that you mention it, when I purchased it there was some type of alarm system that they were trying to push, and I didn't want it. This particular one already had it installed and they said they removed it, but I wonder if they didn't. When the panic alarm had gone off and the key didn't work there was a light under the dash (in between the hood release and steering column) that was flashing. I definitely never noticed it before that day so I dont think it is something that normally ever comes on. I wonder if they just disabled the alarm or something, but left it in, and somehow it is failing and interfering?

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
I bought it new from the dealer, but now that you mention it, when I purchased it there was some type of alarm system that they were trying to push, and I didn't want it. This particular one already had it installed and they said they removed it, but I wonder if they didn't. When the panic alarm had gone off and the key didn't work there was a light under the dash (in between the hood release and steering column) that was flashing. I definitely never noticed it before that day so I dont think it is something that normally ever comes on. I wonder if they just disabled the alarm or something, but left it in, and somehow it is failing and interfering?
yeah thats definitely an aftermarket alarm.

I'm going to suspect that is the root of your problems...

I'd call the dealer and see if they are able to help you.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Does it have remote start? I know my Caliber Rush has it and the horn beeps twice before it starts when I press the remote start button on the remote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have a remote start, just keyless entry. Yesterday it was honking three times when I started it, so it might be getting worse, or maybe just more annoying. I'll schedule an appointment at the dealership to see if they can help. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
I dont have a remote start, just keyless entry. Yesterday it was honking three times when I started it, so it might be getting worse, or maybe just more annoying. I'll schedule an appointment at the dealership to see if they can help. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
keep us posted.

that light is NOT factory, and if you haven't had anything added aftermarket to the car I'd be holding the dealer responsible for any problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bet it's an aftermarket thing going on. I have the same issue, but it seems nobody knows how to disable my aftermarket one.
That's not good at all! I hope I don't run into the same problem, since the dealership is the one that had installed it originally.

As for my horn honking, I was ready to schedule an appointment at the dealership last week when suddenly this stopped happening. It has been just fine for almost a week now! I guess it could be the new battery or the drop in humidity. After two months of daily problems, I'm not sure it is actually fixed but I don't think I can take it in yet since I can no longer replicate the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

For the last month or two my 08 Caliber has been acting a little strange. It started with the horn honking twice when you turn the key to start the car. I tried googling this situation, but I can't seem to find any related threads. A few weeks ago, it also started honking once when the the unlock button was pushed. That night, when I went to start it, the panic alarm started going off and the key would not start the car. A friend advised me to unplug the battery for ten minutes, and then start the car, which worked fine. This week, I went to start my car in the morning and it was dead. It jumped fine, I drove it all day, parked it, then couldn't start it again around five hours later. I jumped it again, brought it home, left it over night, intending to jump it again in the morning, but it started fine, so I drove it over to AutoZone where they checked the battery and said it was "a little low" and that he could try to charge it or just replace it. I had him replace it, and the car has been acting fine since then, except the horn still honks twice every time I start the car. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have an idea why the horn honks when I try to start the car, if all these symptoms are related to something, and if the new battery will solve anything or do I need to take it in? I'm totally lost on this one! :mecry:
Thanks for any info you can provide!
I just got a used 07 caliber sxt, I'm here looking for help on the same issue...horn sounds when I turn the ignition on, it's irritating to say the least

1 - 12 of 12 Posts