Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it. I have successfully modified the accessory outlet (cigarette lighter plug) to be on constantly. Here is a picture of what I did.

Basically , I took out the 15A fuse and intentionally blew it so the circuit was open. This is to prevent the 12v coming in from powering any other parts of the car and keeping the accessory circuit isolated.

Then I ran a fuse holder (with 15A fuse installed) from the constant 12v supply (lower left of the picture where wire is attached) to the fuse that was intentionally blown. The power must be applied to the side of the fuse that is toward the bottom of the picture or the accessory circuit will not be powered up.

I have had it installed for over a week with no other problems whatsoever. There is also another HUGE bonus! This will also power the sunroof (if installed) so that you can open and or close the sunroof without a key......perfect in case it starts raining and the keys are in the house somewhere.

If anybody would like me to make the fuse holder with everything you need to do the job (including an intentionally blown fuse) let me know [email protected] and I can send you one for about $10 to cover the cost of parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yellow Fever said:
Basically , I took out the 15A fuse and intentionally blew it so the circuit was open. This is to prevent the 12v coming in from powering any other parts of the car and keeping the accessory circuit isolated.
how did you intentionally blow the fuse?

other than that, sweet job!!! now ill finally be able to charge my phone with the car off! haha... thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does this also power the 120V outlet as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brooksie1of1 said:
how did you intentionally blow the fuse?

other than that, sweet job!!! now ill finally be able to charge my phone with the car off! haha... thanks!

I had a car battery in the garage. Just pull the fuse, clip a wire to each tab and touch the wires to the battery terminals. It lights up for an instant and whammo, you have a blown fuse ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very interesting concept. I wanted to try that other method of moving a wire from one circuit to the other, but I couldn't fully wrap my self around the process and potential harm.

Your option sounds good. Should be easy enough to blow a fuze. With that blown, the in-line fuse that you discussed resolves any harm to other circuits. That's something that I can definitely understand. I guess I'll have to remember to have a spare fuze onboard and remember to remove the mod prior to delearshiip visits.

Thank you.

Tyke

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's some good electrician work there! Now I have a way to power my neons when the ignition is off. Actually, I kind of like it, because at night, i can leave the switch on and have them come on when I start the car, making it look like it's stock or something, lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just gr8

i'll do that first thing in tha morning.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did the accessory mod at the top of this thread, but I think my method is a little easier.

I bought everything I needed standing in one spot at my local Walmart. I bought the mini-fuse holder with pre-stripped wires at both ends, the crimp-on female blade recepticle, and for the other end, instead of blowing the fuse and soldering, I bought (still standing at that same spot at Walmart) an assortment of crimp-on connectors. What I was looking for was the open-ended terminal connector. It looks like a horseshoe. I crimped on the female blade receptical on one of the fuse holder wires, crimped on the terminal connector on the other, CLIPPED OFF ONE OF THE 'FINGERS' of the terminal connector, pushed on the female blade connector end of my new fused-jumper cable onto the source 12V blade (see original post at top of this thread to see where), PULLED THE 15AMP mini-fuse (refer to picture in top post), inserted the terminal connector end (with only one finger left - it's now very similar to one leg of the fuse) into ONE of the fuse receptical pin sockets, the one closest to the left fender, and then made use of the fuse I had pulled by putting it into the fuse holderof the jumper cable I had just connected to my fuse box.

Simple. Elegant. I was able to put together the cable in about three minutes and about three minutes to install in the car.

I'm writing this from work and have no pictures, but you can get the idea looking at the picture provided with the post that started this thread.

I've now installed it in both Calibers with success. Oh yes, I bought the crimping tool I needed still standing at that same spot at Walmart.

After 24 hours no ill effects. The accessory port is now full-time. I put a ham radio walkie talkie on charge for about three house while the car sat in the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts