Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 started acting a little wierd tonite and i'm trying to rule things out before getting to the dealership. I have a fluid leak somewhere. I was told that it was an oil leak, but everytime I check it, the stick is always in the hash marks and is not really going down, i dont know how to check the tranny fluid (it was my assumption it can only be checked by the dealer). I'm suspicious i'm not leaking oil. "whatever" it is, it's starting to leak more. I'm not driving it anymore until it's being driven to the dealership.

tonite, it would act like it wants to stall when accelerating from a complete stop. It did this almost constantly and I was fearful I had to use my AAA card tonite :( other things I noticed is that there's like a "whirring" noise at low speeds and it's really loud when making left turns. I'm used to the rpms going up steady but I saw it at least twice do sort of a downshift (between 2nd and 3rd I believe)

what color is the transmission fluid for this car? what else can I investigate?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
My 07 started acting a little wierd tonite and i'm trying to rule things out before getting to the dealership. I have a fluid leak somewhere. I was told that it was an oil leak, but everytime I check it, the stick is always in the hash marks and is not really going down, i dont know how to check the tranny fluid (it was my assumption it can only be checked by the dealer). I'm suspicious i'm not leaking oil. "whatever" it is, it's starting to leak more. I'm not driving it anymore until it's being driven to the dealership.

tonite, it would act like it wants to stall when accelerating from a complete stop. It did this almost constantly and I was fearful I had to use my AAA card tonite :( other things I noticed is that there's like a "whirring" noise at low speeds and it's really loud when making left turns. I'm used to the rpms going up steady but I saw it at least twice do sort of a downshift (between 2nd and 3rd I believe)

what color is the transmission fluid for this car? what else can I investigate?
If you have a CVT transmission, you shouldn't feel anything that resembles shifting gears. When I had the rental Caliber (was a 2010), I found that I could feel almost like the chain was slack a bit when I went from deacceleration to acceleration, but that was in an abused rental.
Unfortunately because I have the 6-speed manual, I can't help you on where or how to check the fluid. If you are able to check it, the instructions should be in your owner's manual under maintainance (or check the index).
As for tranny color... It can vary, but I would guess a redish color is most common.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at the dealership now. To be on the safe side I'm going to leave it here and get a rental. There's an obvious rattle under the hood that needs further investigation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they still have the car because they couldnt pinpoint the problem at first. I was told that my alternator is going bad and I need a tensioner. I almost went into heart failure when he quoted the price for the alternator :icon_eek: but some of the noticeable light dimming and/or flickering coincides with a failing alternator (or battery). the noise itself was coming from the tensioner according to them.

I read a few threads on this site that mentioned alternators being noisy when they fail. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, but that means I have to turn in my rental that I've fallen in love with (Dodge Journey) :bump:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so they replaced the tensioner but i couldnt do the alternator because of the price. I dont know the purpose of the tensioner but nothing haschanged. I still have a rattling sound under the hood, which i'm told is the alternator still making the noise. I dont have the hesitation anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think i have the same problem you have, I have a cvt and just recently it started making a weird whirring noise. Though mine does not show any abnormal side effect other than the noise. I thought mine might have been the cvt because it dissapears when i shift into neutral but it def sounds like it's coming from the pulleys.

It didn't dawn on me til just now, do calibers have timing chains or belts? if it's chains then i can almost bet thats probably what the problem is. My vehicle has a little over 100k on it now.

·
Registered
971 Posts
All Calibers have timing chains regardless of the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all,

I forgot to give an update to anyone that was following. the hesitation issue was my fuel pump. it ended up going bad, replaced it and no more hesitation.

the rattling noise continued and got worse until the car died. turns out it was the alternator. i paid for a belt tensioner for nothing :icon_eek: they told me the alternator was pretty much destroyed on the inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 caliber and i just got on this site to browse...the transmission temp light comes on constantly if its over 65 degrees...the tranny sounds like a jet engine prepping for take off then slows down until you have to stop and let it cool of for an hour...everyone seems happy with these cars...omg they are junk mine has been well kept k&N filters and fully synthetic 5w-20, serviced at all intervals....gas mileage is a joke, and my alternator crapped out too I bought one from the dodge dealer, I am a tech for a competitor and that was a pain..iridium plugs the best i get on gas mileage is about 23 highway....I live in the south I opened the owners manual and it tells you not to drive over 60 ish in temps over 65.....really ok if you are in the south your goose is cooked...took 6 hours to get to tenn frome north ga. Sorry dodge fans my 2000 four cylinder s10 has more miles waaay less problems and better gas mileage....just saying I wish I did not buy this clunker....trade in value is to laugh at too..mine is the 2.0 automatic thankfully its paid for... any ideas on my transmission issue...no way im buying a 2400 dollar transmission for a 1500 car

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2011 caliber And lately it has been acting like it’s hesitating after I start to drive it and I’m not sure what could be causing that I did however look at my battery and it does have a bit of corrosion on it not sure about the alternator and not sure about the fuel pump. Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts