Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, may be a dumb question but I see in threads people talking about breaking in the engine but don't know the best way to do it. We picked up our Caliber last week with 100 km on it (sorry I'm CDN so I go by km's :) ). It currently has 400 kms. on it. What should I be doing to "break it in" and what is the purpose of "breaking it in"?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Drive it.. don't race it or do anything extreme for at least 10,000 miles.. just drive it normally. That's all you can do. It takes time for the components of the engine to break in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
10,000 miles?
Todays cars don't really need much of a break in period...about 600 miles (sorry American so we use miles...hehehe). After that, you can drive it any way you like (drive it like you stole it). I've always had really good luck with driving them hard...gets them used to that way of driving. (I like to drive, not move the car around from one parking spot to another). In any case...your owners manual should tell you what Chrysler recommends as a break in, but I'm pretty sure I'm close to their recommendations

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed, breaking it in doesn't take 10k miles. maybe 1k if that. just to let the engine get use to being used since it is new. after the 10k mark i've noticed thats more of the extreme break in where my gas mileage got a lot better. went from 22 mpg 2.0L cvt to 26 mpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
There have been other threads on this topic, just do a search on "break in"

Personally I've just driven my Caliber normally and tried to keep the rpm's below 3000 for the first 5,000 km.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I kept it easy for the 1st 1000 miles and drove it like i wanted to. just be prepared to b*tch about the gas mileage because for some reason the car supposedly doesn't get the advertised mileage until 10k miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I stand corrected.. You don't need to baby the car for 10k miles.. but from everything I've read here from others (including the previous replies) it takes at least that long before it's completely broken in, giving you the best gas mileage and performance. I'm at about 6k and it still feels a bit stiff but is slowly loosening up. I've noticed a difference since my first oil change too, which is assuring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i just hit 15k this morning!!!!!! and yeah i have the 2.0L with 26mpg
and yeah the performance has gotten a lot better from when i first got it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts