Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday was the first road trip in my caliber. the car does not have cruise control. (coming soon though) i wore my right foot out on the 300 mile trip on interstate 64 between louisville, ky and evansville, in. and back. the interstate has elevation changes up to 300 feet. my speed would vary from 65 mph to 80 mph and the rpm's would go from 2200 to 4200. it is extremly hard to maintain a constant speed. has anyone drove in an area with greater elevation changes and passingers in the car? how does the car perform in that situation?

how well do the calibers perform in this situation with cruise control? does the car maintain a constant speed within 5 mph? does the engine rev on inclines?

also i found the ultimate sub woofer. lower the rear two windows and drive 50+ mph. the buffeting is so intense it hurt your whole body, and vibrates the interior panel of the car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well, i drove from florida to minnesota in july without cruise control (can that be added aftermarket?) and there was 1 part on tenn. (can't remember the elevation) where the caliber would not go over 60mph....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Going on a +2000km trip in the next couple of weeks....

I'll let you know. I don't have cruise either.

Regards

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea, this CVT feels too different for me. I'm assuming thats what it is. It almost feels like it doesn't do what I expect it to do. I was driving a Hyundai Accent before which was like driving a 'go cart'.

·
Registered
258 Posts
go figure.... the wife's previous car was an accent.... got the caliber since an f150 took a red light... she scuffed his door... and totalled her car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am also in the Accent club. Will be trading that in for the Caliber.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tigerr said:
I am also in the Accent club. Will be trading that in for the Caliber.
good call.... the caliber drives 199% better than the accent!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A lot of that probably just has to do with getting used to the CVT. It's totally different than a normal automatic. Of course I have cruise control on my caliber(wouldn't have it any other way) I did find it hard to maintain a steady speed without the cruise on when I forst got the car, and even still sometimes find my speed wandering if I'm not paying attention.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is everyone else a flatlander? lol! I live in Arizona which is anything but flat. 300 foot elevation changes is pretty flat to me. Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff sees a 6,000 foot change. I've driven several long trips of 400 miles or so each way. My Caliber SXT 2.0L performed great. I've learned how the engine and CVT perform and kept it where it felt the RPM's/Speed wanted to be for the hill I was climbing. I do have cruise but turn it off in mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I drive in new mexico... no cruise control but yea the caliber is pretty good on the moutainous terrain if you don't mind going to higher RPMs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The cruise control keeps our R/T at a constant speed on hills better than any other cruise control car I have driven. I think that it is because the CVT does not have to shift to up the RPM's. The only thing that is disconcerting is when you hit a hill that is curvy, the RPM's ramp up so it sounds like you are really accelerating into the curve. It is a bit on the freaky side the first few times, then it just gets fun.

It seems to creep up on me if I do not use the cruise control, be it flat lands or hills.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like the cruise control, it works well, however idiots in California who can't drive don't allow me to use it much. I don't have any problem with keeping the car at a constant speed with the pedal.

I love the CVT so much more than a regular auto tranny. I was given a PT crapper for my rental, and I hated how hard it shifted, and how it has to drop the gear when you accellerate. The CVT just goes :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
I like the cruise control, it works well, however idiots in California who can't drive don't allow me to use it much. I don't have any problem with keeping the car at a constant speed with the pedal.

I love the CVT so much more than a regular auto tranny. I was given a PT crapper for my rental, and I hated how hard it shifted, and how it has to drop the gear when you accelerate. The CVT just goes :)
Yea. I've had no problem keeping constant speed either. I've only used the cruise control once so far. When I accelerate from a signal, I just press the pedal down till the engine hits 2500 rpms and hold it there till I hit the speed I want. On the freeway I just drive it like a "normal" transmission. Hold the pedal down and press or release as needed. No problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use the CVT "low" a lot to slow down vs. lighting up the brake lights and attracting attention. the computer or whatever takes care of the gearing down nicely and never overrevs. I have no qualms about racheting it down on the highway even downhill to moderate speed. I guess I would enjoy an autostick more. this just reminds me of an old powerglide a/t.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've done several road trips over 1k km's in length throughout the canadian rockies and through the foothills.. from what I've noticed is that at 100-130km/h if you keep the rpm's at 3000-3200 you can maintain speed real easily. 140-150km/h is kept at 3500-3700rpm and 160+ km/h takes about 4200-4500rpm and really sucks the gas.. ( went from calgary to edmonton at about 2 in the morning, wich is a 278km trip travelling 160km/h the whole way and it spent a whole tank of gas, whereas if you do 130-140 the whole way it wastes a half a tank). Besides bieng sidetracked there, climbing steep mountain grades is not as nice as doing it in a large v6 or v8 but it is still rather easy, although to keep speed up you need to feed your cali some love. All I know is this.. once you learn how to drive the cvt it can take the caliber from a gutless wonder to an adequate performer... just ask the legions of civic's and vw's that I've wasted in the street drags ;)... hell I even beat a bmw 325i down the highway twice.. but I suspect he was a rather crappy driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts