Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys If theres one thing that I hate about our cars is the black plastics on the roof, but worst than that is the black trim on the doors right under the windows.

How do you keep that black!?

look at mines

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Oh the joys of black.

A good finishing wax and detailer spray for the between wash/wax times.

Owning a black car or motorcycle is like having a hot girlfriend. Pain in the bass, but oh do they look good if you are willing to put in the efford.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh the joys of black.

A good finishing wax and detailer spray for the between wash/wax times.
I believe egk69 is asking about the rubber trim below the windows.
...Do NOT wax that.

Meguiars back to black, lightly on a sponge or rag and then wipe the rubber/plastics.
Edit: also use it on the top rails. Does wonders.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I believe egk69 is asking about the rubber trim below the windows.
...Do NOT wax that.

Meguiars back to black, lightly on a sponge or rag and then wipe the rubber/plastics.
Edit: also use it on the top rails. Does wonders.
Sounds good I'll try that
Im having the same problem as well :/

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I use synthetic polish and not wax. Make sure it's the man made synthetic stuff and not the nature made carnuba type of wax. I apply it straight onto the surface and rub out within a minute not letting it set up and dry. If you do let it dry, reapply and wipe off when still wet. Haven't had any problems as I did this to a lot of different cars. It even works great on my Neon's rubber trim around the windshield, rear glass and below the side windows. 'Til this day it still looks brand new and in fact even better.

Reactions: blackbeastsrt4

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I use synthetic polish and not wax. Make sure it's the man made synthetic stuff and not the nature made carnuba type of wax. I apply it straight onto the surface and rub out within a minute not letting it set up and dry. If you do let it dry, reapply and wipe off when still wet. Haven't had any problems as I did this to a lot of different cars. It even works great on my Neon's rubber trim around the windshield, rear glass and below the side windows. 'Til this day it still looks brand new and in fact even better.
i get my carnuba/regular wax on mine all the time. and mine still look pretty damn good :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHA I bough Back to Black like 6 months ago , no joke!, and i havent used it yet! LOL!

I'll try it tomorow!...

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
i get my carnuba/regular wax on mine all the time. and mine still look pretty damn good :bigthumb:
That has been what I have used on both my bikes and my cars.
My father swears by it, and his mid 80's bikes still look like the day he bought them (until you look at the odometer).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Carnuba is the hardest wax available but doesn't have the depth of shine w/ one coat that the polymers do. It is an all natural product too!!

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Carnuba is the hardest wax available but doesn't have the depth of shine w/ one coat that the polymers do. It is an all natural product too!!
Hold on here. That statement is kinda off. (I'm a former detailer.)

Carnauba is the hardest wax, correct.
But if your using a quality Carnauba wax, it will produce a better depth of shine than a synthetic. Hands down. Even with one coat, though I myself do several.

A synthetic sealant will produce a hard-shell-shiny surface, but it will not carry that deep wet look that a carnauba will. Synthetic will also out last carnauba considerably, carnauba will only last about 90 days, synthetics can last 6+ months.

So best look: Carnauba, longest lasting: polymer/Sealant

I myself use polymer sealant over the winter since I cant clean my car as often, but over the summer its Carnauba all the way. Waxed about once a month or so.

Hopefully that clears things up a tad.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Carnauba is the hardest wax, correct.
But if your using a quality Carnauba wax, it will produce a better depth of shine than a synthetic. Hands down. Even with one coat, though I myself do several.
Well, being trained by Meguiar's myself, I may be a little biased towards all the propaganda I was fed over the years!! That being said, I will defer to "Spits" on this matter because being trained in the sales of a product and continually working with a product are two totally DIFFERENT ANIMALS.:bowdown:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well, being trained by Meguiar's myself, I may be a little biased towards all the propaganda I was fed over the years!! That being said, I will defer to "Spits" on this matter because being trained in the sales of a product and continually working with a product are two totally DIFFERENT ANIMALS.:bowdown:
Meh, I'll admit I may just be stuck in my ways, but from my experience thats what I've came to.

Get some Pinnacle Souveran wax, or Wolfgang Fuzion (wax/poly mix)... wouldnt say its worth it for a daily driver, but if your putting something into a show... its worth it. (either one is about 50 bucks on amazon)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WELL! Today i tried to apply back to black, and i didnt do sh!t!, haha it just stay the same, I noticed that I could kinda peel off that white thing it haves with my nails, So I had some Scratch X 2.0 and i just polished that trim with it and then i apply back to black to it

It looks 100 times better at least now it looks black again! but i dont know if it looks like when it was new cause i cant remember how it used to look...

Maybe pictures later...

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
WELL! Today i tried to apply back to black, and i didnt do sh!t!, haha it just stay the same, I noticed that I could kinda peel off that white thing it haves with my nails, So I had some Scratch X 2.0 and i just polished that trim with it and then i apply back to black to it

It looks 100 times better at least now it looks black again! but i dont know if it looks like when it was new cause i cant remember how it used to look...

Maybe pictures later...
white thing?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts