Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well its been just about six months for me with the Caliber. I've enjoyed the car, and feel in some ways it has even exceeded my expectations. After reading posts about speeding tickets, inspiring European autobahn limits, unaware speeding, tire specs, and all kinds of similar car performance / driver chatter (very good contributors here:) ), I thought I'd ask you all a couple of straight forward questions about how fast and how good your car is.

I've not gone over 150km/hr(90+mph) in my R/T AWD. At that speed however, I felt I had a lot of car still under me, both in composure and in leftover acceleration. As I've never gone any faster, what experience can you pass on about your Caliber at speed?

In short form, what is the fastest you have "really" travelled in your Caliber and how good/comfortable/safe did it feel?

For any younger forum members out there getting the wrong idea, there is NO contest here. The forum members are from all over the world with wildly varying regulations and speed limits. Speed is dangerous and should only be pursued under the proper conditions with supervision and good equipment.

Lets hear your stories. How fast and how good?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
On my trip to Florida in October I had my SXT, 2L CVT up to 150, 160 kms. for about a 1/2 a hour drafting some maniac in a 18 wheeler. I felt about as safe as I used to doing high speed motorcades in a Lincoln Town Car with the RCMP. In other words, not too safe. Since putting on the "H" speed rated snow tires on the car it feels more stable and safe. I'll put on some decent "V" or "Z" rated summer tires on and i'm sure everything should improve.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Barking Spider said:
2.0L or 2.4L doesn't matter, aerodynamics is a bitch. it's way to heavy and way to boxy to pull decent speed, in the srt-4 maybe it'll hit 135-140mph (217km/h-225km/h)

But with out significant power adders like turbo, s/c or NOS your looking at, IMO, est. 110-115.

This is a video of a CRD 2.0L doing 184 km/h (~114mph)
I think we have an idea on the upper limits of max speed but the question at hand is how fast YOU have driven YOUR Caliber and what were your impressions. IE How fast and how good? The aerodynamics are definitely an issue with air resistance and power requirements producing a very steep graph curve at high speed. If a car can feel good at 100mph I think its been well done. Faster speeds than that are for professionals and idiots.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Barking Spider said:
2.0L or 2.4L doesn't matter, aerodynamics is a bitch. it's way to heavy and way to boxy to pull decent speed, in the srt-4 maybe it'll hit 135-140mph (217km/h-225km/h)

But with out significant power adders like turbo, s/c or NOS your looking at, IMO, est. 110-115.

This is a video of a CRD 2.0L doing 184 km/h (~114mph)

HA HA HA you have no idea what you're talking about.

The SRT engineers have always claimed that the SRT-4 caliber is going to be a 155mph+ car.

And the extra horsepower and torque that the 2.4 will give you over the 2.0 liter will greatly help with any topspeed nonesense.

To contribute, 110 mph in the 2.4 with lots of headroom.

·
Registered
687 Posts
110mph (many times before ticket) maybe a little over that before I let off (hands on wheel, eyes on road) in 2.0L and felt like there was more pedal. Before doing so I looked up the speed rating on my stock SXT tires and it is 118mph so of course I have no desire to touch that speed.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I routinely cruise between 80-100MPH and feel very comfortable with the car at those speeds. I have also reached the speed limiter at 120MPH many times with no feer that the car would be a problem that fast. I would actually be more concerned about my own driving ability than the car's ability to travel at 120MPH. 120MPH is very smooth and easy to control. 120MPH is the max speed with the speed limiter.

Euepoe was hit with a pretty severe storm last week with high winds and heavy rain (my neighbor lost part of his roof in the storm). I actually got up to 100MPH in a heavy downpour with 50MPH crosswinds (not my brightest moment) and the Caliber handled very well and felt very stable.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Michael K. said:
I actually got up to 100MPH in a heavy downpour with 50MPH crosswinds (not my brightest moment) and the Caliber handled very well and felt very stable.
I agree the Caliber handles crosswinds and the turbulance from passing tractor trailers as well as any car i've driven, including my old Mercedes E class. But, Michael, if you had the Firestone Affinitys instead of your Dunlops, i'm sure you would think twice about hitting 100 mph in the rain. They aquaplane through the shallowest puddles.:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Amandyke said:
HA HA HA you have no idea what you're talking about.

The SRT engineers have always claimed that the SRT-4 caliber is going to be a 155mph+ car.

And the extra horsepower and torque that the 2.4 will give you over the 2.0 liter will greatly help with any topspeed nonesense.

To contribute, 110 mph in the 2.4 with lots of headroom.
no **** you have no idea what your talking about, just because the DCX engineers of all people "claimed" the 3200 lb+ box can hit 155+ is nonsense and you are a feeble minded idiot for believing them...i suppose you believe in aliens as well?

Do yourself a favor and do YOUR OWN research and come up with YOUR OWN conclusion instead of what your read and hear;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
xlimodriver said:
I agree the Caliber handles crosswinds and the turbulance from passing tractor trailers as well as any car i've driven, including my old Mercedes E class. But, Michael, if you had the Firestone Affinitys instead of your Dunlops, i'm sure you would think twice about hitting 100 mph in the rain. They aquaplane through the shallowest puddles.:eek:
Thats the truth, the Cali is so much more stable when those 18 wheelers fly by in the opposite direction than my previous car (neon.) I dont agree with the dunlops either, i lose traction in the rain real easy im my 2.0L CVT. The torque steer isn't as bad as it used to be though, i think it's because of the rubber band loosening up in the cvt.

To be more precise about your question i know my car isn't a sports car or anywhere near one. So i personaly dont drive it like one. That being said the caliber has ENOUGH power for driving and passing. I'm a little heavy on the pedal due to my lack of time management, and i am satisfied with with it's power. And because i live in a city where people drive like the speed limit is 60-20, the caliber has some great passing power under the hood. Im sure if i had no speed limit i would probably cruise at a good 90-95mph.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You might be suprised what a little HP can do. My lincoln has a higher drag coefficient than the caliber SRT4 and with a similar power to weight ratio (now much greater) it was easily capable of 145mph+ but VERY unstable. And this is with an AOD which will not shift to OD in WOT so basically 3 speed auto. Car would definetly need some downforce but is definetly capable. The SRT boys may have this in mind when they make the top speed claims.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So far I've gotten my SXT (2.0L, CVT) up to 106mph. Had a bit more oomph left, but there was some oncoming traffic on the state highway in the near distance. Last thing I want to do is trust an oncoming driver when I'm going at a high rate of speed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't enjoy driving at high speeds, so have barely taken my AWD R/T over 90 MPH, and even then only when passing. At that speed it feels pretty stable and definitely has plenty more room for speed. But what still puts a smile on my face more than anything else about this car is the way it carves up the curves effortlessly. There's a very curvy road I take every day going to work that has very little traffic. Most days driving that road is the highlight of my day. I would love to have that road closed on both ends and be made into my personal road course for an afternoon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
Last thing I want to do is trust an oncoming driver when I'm going at a high rate of speed.
For good reason too, at that speed, when you look in the mirror it looks like your going at a lower speed so you think it's ok untill it's too late. Kinda like a train. It doesn't look like it's coming fast but as it closes distance, ya end up thinking again

·
Registered
40 Posts
what does your tach report when the caliber is cruising at 70 mph, 80mph? i'm curious to compare the CVT 2.0L and the manual 1.8L. i have the 1.8 manual and am at like 70mph @ approx 3100 rpms. that seems kinda high for me, anyone else get simliar results? at 80mph i'm @ amost 4000 rpms

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have done 10.000 mls with my Caliber SE 2.0 CRD (Diesel); on the Dutch highways I'm cruising 90-100 mls, on the German highways (no speed limit) it is full throttle and the Caliber reaches 130 mls easily and feels very safe and stable; acceleration over 80 mls is impressive

·
Registered
137 Posts
I cruise @ 70 MPH turning just below 2500 RPMs on a flat road.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ninbri64 said:
what does your tach report when the caliber is cruising at 70 mph, 80mph? i'm curious to compare the CVT 2.0L and the manual 1.8L. i have the 1.8 manual and am at like 70mph @ approx 3100 rpms. that seems kinda high for me, anyone else get simliar results? at 80mph i'm @ amost 4000 rpms
clockmaker said:
I cruise @ 70 MPH turning just below 2500 RPMs on a flat road.
With the 2.4 in our R/T we are at 2200 rpm at 70 mph. The fastest I have "cruised" is right around 80 to 85. I have only topped it out once. It felt very stable. I have no complaints about wind noise, or buffeting.

We are happier today with the Caliber than when we bought it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts