Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Calibers only built in one plant????
If it is a "World" car, you would think there
are several plants. Are cars for Europe made
in the USA too???

Wilson

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, there is only one plant which is in Belvidere, USA.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hhmmm....rumours go, that there is a company in Austria, that is taking care of the assembly of european Calibers!?
At least this is, what somebody on a german forum said this morning.

I was kinda surprised, but some Googles later I found out, that there is a company in Graz/Austria, which is currently assembling the C300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Cherokee and Voyager, as well as the Mercedes E-Class and G-Models and a Saab and does some localization work on cars of different brands, such as right side steering and diesel engines and what not.....

Their website: http://www.magnasteyr.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3F57F7E5-C31DEB17/magna_steyr_internet/hs.xsl/19_717.php?rdeLocaleAttr=en

I wasn't able to find any information about them producing Calibers though.

Newest child to their family seems to be the Jeep Commander!?

Any ideas 'bout that folks?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Swoop said:
Hhmmm....rumours go, that there is a company in Austria, that is taking care of the assembly of european Calibers!?

I was kinda surprised, but some Googles later I found out, that there is a company in Graz/Austria, which is currently assembling the C300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Cherokee and Voyager, as well as the Mercedes E-Class and G-Models and a Saab and does some localization work on cars of different brands, such as right side steering and diesel engines and what not.....

Their website: http://www.magnasteyr.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3F57F7E5-C31DEB17/magna_steyr_internet/hs.xsl/19_717.php?rdeLocaleAttr=en

The tooling for Caliber exists solely in Belvedire. With the weak dollar vs Euro, I doubt DCX would build it in Austria.

When this car was planned, gasoline was quite a bit cheaper. DCX could not possible anticipate the demand that would be caused by $3 gas.

If they decide to raise capacity, it will take time. Until then, customers can expect to wait and dealers will add "additional dealer profit" to every unit sold. :mad:

If you can't tolerate that, buy something else.:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Swoop said:

It's confirmed that there is only one plant that builds Calibers. In Finland you have to wait till next spring if you want your Caliber with CVT or SXT-accessories. So some of the dealers are not taking orders in...

·
Banned
76 Posts
Complete Vehicle Assembly Sales​

The terms of our various vehicle assembly contracts differ with respect to the ownership of components and supplies related to the assembly process and the method of determining the selling price to the OEM customer. Under certain contracts, we are acting as principal, and purchased components and systems in assembled vehicles are included in our inventory and cost of sales. These costs are reflected on a full-cost basis in the selling price of the final assembled vehicle to the OEM customer. Other contracts provide that third party components and systems are held on consignment by us, and the selling price to the OEM customer reflects a value-added assembly fee only. Production levels of the various vehicles assembled by us have an impact on the level of our sales and profitability. In addition, the relative proportion of programs accounted for on a full-cost basis and programs accounted for on a value-added basis also impact our levels of sales and operating margin percentage, but may not necessarily affect our overall level of profitability. Assuming no change in total vehicles assembled, a relative increase in the assembly of vehicles accounted for on a full-cost basis has the effect of increasing the level of total
sales and, because purchased components are included in cost of sales, profitability as a percentage of total sales is reduced.
Conversely, a relative increase in the assembly of vehicles accounted for on a value-added basis has the effect of reducing the level of
total sales and increasing profitability as a percentage of total sales.

2005​
Complete Vehicle Assembly Sales $ 4,110​
Complete Vehicle Assembly Volumes
Full-Costed:

BMW X3, Mercedes E-Class and G-Class, Saab 9 3 Convertible
Value-Added:

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, Chrysler Voyager 227,244 + 1%

Although assembly volumes increased 1% or 3,261 units, complete vehicle assembly sales decreased 8% or $340 million to $4.1 billion
for 2005 compared to $4.5 billion for 2004. The decrease in complete vehicle assembly sales is primarily the result of lower assembly volumes
for all vehicles accounted for on a full-cost basis, partially offset by:
• higher assembly volumes for the Jeep Grand Cherokee which is accounted for on a value-added basis as a result of the launch of a
new model in January 2005; and
• the start of assembly in the second quarter of 2005 of the Chrysler 300 for distribution in European markets and certain other markets
outside North America.

– Annual Report 2005

– 18 –​

Tooling, Engineering and Other​

Tooling, engineering and other sales increased 28% or $431 million to $2.0 billion for 2005 compared to $1.5 billion for 2004.
In 2005 the major programs for which we recorded tooling, engineering and other sales were:
• the BMW X5;
• the Jeep Wrangler;
• the Mercedes M-Class and R-Class;
• GM's next generation full-size pickup and sport utilities platform;
• the Ford F-Series Super Duty;
• the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr;
• the Hummer H3; and
• the Dodge Caliber.
In 2004 the major programs for which we recorded tooling, engineering and other sales were:
• the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan;
• the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer; and
• the Mercedes M-Class and R-Class.
In addition, tooling, engineering and other sales increased as a result of the strengthening of the Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dodge Caliber Production
Production of the Dodge Caliber began in early 2006 at the newly refurbished Belvidere, Ill., Assembly Plant. The new four-cylinder World Engines for this vehicle are built in the state-of-the-art Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) assembly plant in Dundee, Mich.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/05/05/005820.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts