Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
before i took the car of the lot i told the dealer that i want on the car rustproving done ,now its comes with a life time waranty and they say that you only hat to do it that one time ,i truly don't believe that because with my mazda i dit rustpoving every year for the first 4 years and then they told me every 3 years its ok now ,because its so thick ,what do you think ???
Ps: come on xlimodriver i put some speling errors in so you regonice me:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I had some early VW Beetles, 58, 61 and a 72 convertible with the thick dealer/factory undercoating which would come loose and trap water, salty slush and other crap causing premature rust. Most of the cars I've owned in the past 30 some odd years have had a oil based spray applied yearly. My Mercedes is 10 years old and looks like new. Of course I had $14.000 worth of body work done 3 years ago when I hit a 350 lb. deer at 120 kpm. As for spelling, even though I was born in Toronto when I started school I could hardly speak English and had to go into what is now called an ESL class. We were living in a small Finnish ghetto at Broadview and Danforth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i ditend meen your spelling i was prefering to my speeling ,your not pretty far away from hamilton i believe 2-3 houres right ,maby we can get together some times when we go to quebec city ,Cheers thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Never. It cause more problems then it helps. It clogs drain holes and voids factory rust warranty. Have you ever tried claim on the warranty from the rust proving company, good luck. Read the contract the most they have to do is refund you the cost you paid for the rust proving. What usually is covered is rust thru, not surface rust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steveb said:
Never. It cause more problems then it helps. It clogs drain holes and voids factory rust warranty. Have you ever tried claim on the warranty from the rust proving company, good luck. Read the contract the most they have to do is refund you the cost you paid for the rust proving. What usually is covered is rust thru, not surface rust.
yeah i hear you but i do got the one direct from Chrysler wich does not voids the waranty ,aftermarket yes it does voids the waranty ,but i like a rust free car ,my madza 12 years old was completly rustfree when i sold it 2 weeks ago,and i will keep this car untill its dies what i hope going to be a long long time:D .you know its like when you get maried;) :p ,Cheers thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Do you mean this extended Chrysler backed.

Quote.
MOPAR warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage caused by environmental factors or Acts of God. "Environmental factors" include such items as airborne fallout, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray and road hazards. "Acts of God" include such things as hail, floods, windstorms, lightning, tornadoes, sandstorms and earthquakes.

MASTER SHIELD® RUST PROTECTION LIMITED WARRANTY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
tupmeier said:
i ditend meen your spelling i was prefering to my speeling ,your not pretty far away from hamilton i believe 2-3 houres right ,maby we can get together some times when we go to quebec city ,Cheers thomas
Let me think about it. Maybe if you pack your CoolZone with some German potato salad, cold cuts and some of that red cabbage coleslaw from your deli. I'm going to be in Toronto most of September working the Toronto Film Festival for 10 days and right after that the WWE has a big show in town, SummerSlam I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
steveb said:
Never. It cause more problems then it helps. It clogs drain holes and voids factory rust warranty.
Tough to prove, but a valid point.

Go for the annual, or bi-annual, Krown type of spray. Is a liquid, a water displacement, will not bung drain holes, nor trap water/salt/grit, ... It also lubricates averything when you get the spray done.

I have never had rust on any vehicle which I have owned, and I live in the Salt Belt as well.

On the Cali (I was going to do a new post), I found the underneath VOID of any real coating on alot of areas, especially behind the wheels. I bought a can of asphalt based undercoating and sprayed where I thought the underbody needed it. I did the same on the other cars which I have owned. This stuff is NASTY, so spray on a calm day, and wear disposable clothing!

I do not believe in Zeibart or dealer rustproofing at all. My opinion.

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Sean said:
Tough to prove, but a valid point.

Go for the annual, or bi-annual, Krown type of spray. Is a liquid, a water displacement, will not bung drain holes, nor trap water/salt/grit, ... It also lubricates averything when you get the spray done.
A couple guys I spoke to for products that compete with Krown, say it goes thick and gums things up after a year years of applications. I've used Krown on my old car, and didn't see much of that...Anyone else? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Principal said:
A couple guys I spoke to for products that compete with Krown, say it goes thick and gums things up after a year years of applications. I've used Krown on my old car, and didn't see much of that...Anyone else? :)
Of course the salesman is going to say the other guys stuff isn't as good as his, and is going to list "problems" with the other stuff to sway you to use the stuff he is selling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
HSKR said:
Of course the salesman is going to say the other guys stuff isn't as good as his, and is going to list "problems" with the other stuff to sway you to use the stuff he is selling.
I wouldn't expect anything less :) I was wondering if it's true though. It does seem to leave a bit of a mess, dirt sticks to it. I give it a cleaning afterwards, which is probably counter productive :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
The first oil based rustproofing I used years ago was a company called ProtectOil and they told me to drive on a dusty dirt road as soon as possible to put a coating on the exposed parts on the undercarrige. I agree that the overspray on the painted parts is a pain to keep clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
xlimodriver said:
The first oil based rustproofing I used years ago was a company called ProtectOil and they told me to drive on a dusty dirt road as soon as possible to put a coating on the exposed parts on the undercarrige. I agree that the overspray on the painted parts is a pain to keep clean.
The prob with that, other than the mess!, is that too much dust results in globs of the dust/oil combo actually falling off over time, exposing the parts its meant to protect.

My Krown cars have never gummed up, or went on in globs, sounds like sour grapes. :(
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top