Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side sun visor was very loose and flopped all over when unclipped. I took it to the dealer. Here's the steps I've gone through to get this solved.

1. Dealer finds bad sun visor mount and orders new part.
2. 1 week & part is in. I take it to the dealer and they replace part.
3. Headliner is badly stained from new part adhesive that bled through.
4. Dealer agrees to replace headliner.
5. 1 week & headliner is in so I drop car off.
6. Next day dealer says windshield must be removed to replace headliner.
7. Glass company removes windshield but leaves without reinstalling.
8. Next day Glass company not available. Dealer pays for rental car.
9. One more day and dealer says glass company tossed out windshield.
10. New windshield ordered from Los Angeles and Fed-Ex'd.
11. Awaiting new windshield which should arrive tomorrow.

All this mess to fix a loose sun visor. In all fairness the dealer has apologized, paid for a rental car etc. without me saying a thing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
wow a $5,- item cost now $500-$800 dollar ,not a bad deal for the service deparment :D .maby when your doornop isen'd working they rplace the whole door;) ,i am just kidding .But i am surpriced,Cheers thomas

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it should not be loose as it was. The door side of the visor is held by two screws through the headliner and into a mounting block. In my case that block was completely loose allowing the visor to hang down at about a 45 degree angle. When unclipped the visor should stay fairly parallel to the headliner.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The removal of the headliner was posted in Dodgeforums, and removing the windshield was not part of the removal process.

From Dodgeforums:
To carefully remove your headliner, after you've removed all hardware that bolts through the headliner, slide the headliner toward the rear of the car and drop its front down under the steering wheel. To get it out of the passenegr door, move out the front first.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ejfb said:
The removal of the headliner was posted in Dodgeforums, and removing the windshield was not part of the removal process.

From Dodgeforums:
To carefully remove your headliner, after you've removed all hardware that bolts through the headliner, slide the headliner toward the rear of the car and drop its front down under the steering wheel. To get it out of the passenegr door, move out the front first.
Thats odd. The service manual clearly says to remove the windshield. So someone found a better way than what DCX states? It didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

I know a lot of people drop headliners to run wires for DVD players, SAT wiring etc. I've never found a need to do that. Instead I tuck wires along the lip past the weather stripping, or fish it with a long rod.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Huff said:
The passenger side sun visor was very loose and flopped all over when unclipped. I took it to the dealer. Here's the steps I've gone through to get this solved.

1. Dealer finds bad sun visor mount and orders new part.
2. 1 week & part is in. I take it to the dealer and they replace part.
3. Headliner is badly stained from new part adhesive that bled through.
4. Dealer agrees to replace headliner.
5. 1 week & headliner is in so I drop car off.
6. Next day dealer says windshield must be removed to replace headliner.
7. Glass company removes windshield but leaves without reinstalling.
8. Next day Glass company not available. Dealer pays for rental car.
9. One more day and dealer says glass company tossed out windshield.
10. New windshield ordered from Los Angeles and Fed-Ex'd.
11. Awaiting new windshield which should arrive tomorrow.

All this mess to fix a loose sun visor. In all fairness the dealer has apologized, paid for a rental car etc. without me saying a thing.
Sorry to hear Huff, that is just crazy!:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey I've had a tough time with my dealer as well. I had the first and when I say fisrt I mean it warranty claim on a caliber in the midwest. They didnt' even have a part number for the replacement they were supposed to have for an A/C control that habitually broke not once, not twice but now a total of three times. No TSB though. My guess is they glues it together the first two times and then when they got another cali in, they pulled it from that. Long story short, to fix that, they ripped out the center dash, scratching all the plastic on the top dash, and side pieces as well as the cracking the bezel and damaging the face on the radio. and some how they also scratched the a pillar covers and the top glove box cover. Now it's gonna be the third time to take it in. Right now I have a crappy cli-Taurus that has the shakes like someone coming off a three day bender when you're on the brakes. Thanks guys! Find out today when I took it in the the total cost to replace that $14 part - $5,372.93 and that is only the parts and no labor. LOL They damn near totaled my cali and I hope the guys that messed it up in the first place got canned. I wonder if I have the right to anything special in a case like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never heard a Taurus referred to as a "cli-Taurus"... I think I just wet myself...

·
Registered
129 Posts
DAMM too bad.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, every time I take my car in for service I get a nice blue-ovaled Ford crapbox to drive around in. I swear I feel like I'm going to skitter off the road if I go 70mph and turning a casual corner at 20 miles an hour results in a super-scary experience as the car's tires break away.

Maybe the goal of Ford is to kill its competitor's customers when they are forced to drive a Taurus as a rental when their cars are under repair?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts