Dodge Caliber Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Hot-Wired Accessory Plug

Ahh finally found the golden nugget :) . Was looking at new PT's the other day and noticed that they have a nearly identical fuse box to the Caliber, but the cig lighter is controlled by the "2 position fuse" in the fuse box (put it in one way that says IGN and the lighter is powered only with the key in run/accessory, but it in BAT and it's on all the time.)

So after finding some helpful folks and looking through the PT and Caliber service manuals, here's what I got:

-- The 12V power feed for the in-dash power outlet is in "cavity 21" of the black 22-way connector for the underhood fuse block. This is the black "big" connector on the back.
-- On the PT, the power feed is in "cavity 14" of the grey connector on the back of the fuse block. (this cavity is conspicuously empty on the Caliber).

So all you have to do is pull the pink/black power feed out of cavity 21 on the black connector, pull it back/out of the wire loom a bit, and plug it into cavity 14 on the grey connector. Tried it out and it worked like a charm. Put the fuse (Fuse 11?) in the "Batt" position and you get constant power. Put it in the "Ign" position and you only have power with ignition (it even keeps the key-off power delay!).

Worked on the 1 car we tried it on, but I can't guarantee anything. All we used was a pair of pliers to pull the white "lock" out of the connector, and a narrow pin to remove the terminal..... Probably ought to disconnect the battery before you mess with it.... Anyone else want to try and let us know??

Looking into the end of the connector with the release tab thing up, the pin numbers are something like this, the red cavities are the ones you care about. Note that you'll need to swap from the Black connector into the Grey connector!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Hot-Wired Accessory Plug

Well, I don't have a digital camera, so I'm not going to be of much help with pics. MrTyke's got the right component -- you need to pull this box up a bit and get at the Black and Grey connectors at the back. It's a little easier if you pull the airbox snorkel off first (there are two 1/4-turn fasterns at the front, twist them 1/4 turn and you can pull out the snorkel).

There are red "locks" on the connectors that keep them from getting accidentally unplugged, so you need to slide the red locks back a bit, then pull this lever on the side of the connector to actually get the connector out (as I said before, probably want to disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally short to gound). Once you get the black connector off, if you look into the end of the connector, there is a big white plastic thing stuffed into the end -- this thing locks all the terminals in and you just need to pull it straight out with a pair of needle nose. Then, go to pin 21 (use the drawing I posted to find pin 21) and use a safety pin to release the terminal (you need to push the pin into the end of the connector and push a little plastic tab out of the way). Pull the wire out of the connector and pull it out of the wire harness enough so you've got some room to plug it into the grey connector.

Then remove the grey connector, pull out the white terminal lock, and stuff the pin into cavity 14 & reassemble. Now the Batt/IGN fuse will control the cig lighter. This is the blue fues in MrTyke's pic about 1/2 way down and all the way to the right. You can see that it's got two different positions you can put it in -- one way is on all the time, the other is just with ignition.

As far as the whole pins/terminals/whatever terms I'm using -- you basically need to pull one wire out of the "black" connector and put that wire back into the "grey" connector. Both connectors are the same type, so you don't need to cut/solder/etc, you can just pull it out of one connector and stuff it into the other (if you're patient and careful and don't break anything).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.