Dodge Caliber Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: Hot-Wired Accessory Plug

I just looked at my fuse box... completely dif in shape/location. I dif find a fuse with batt/ign, however, mine was already in the batt setting (and I don't get constant power).

·
Registered
689 Posts

From what he is discribing, I don't think it is in the fuse box. I could be wrong, but I think it is another box or connector, and when you do the jumper thing he is talking about, the batt/ignition fuse switch actually works.

·
Registered
506 Posts

i think he is talking about the fuse box located in the engine compartment under the hood...

·
Registered
506 Posts

well now i guess just do whatever he said to lol

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)

I wish it were that easy. I looked and there are three large connectors around the fuse box. I was a bit rushed when I peeked, but maybe one of them plugs to the front of the box (i.e., towards front end, furthest away from fire wall). Pictures with annotations would be great.
.....edit....
I went out and took a few more pictures of the fuse box assembly. I have a better understanding, but I haven't got all the details yet. I'm adding pictures that give the process of removing the fuse box...at least lifting it up a bit. Beyond that, I am still not fully versed in this suggested fix.

Tyke

·
Registered
59 Posts

Well, I don't have a digital camera, so I'm not going to be of much help with pics. MrTyke's got the right component -- you need to pull this box up a bit and get at the Black and Grey connectors at the back. It's a little easier if you pull the airbox snorkel off first (there are two 1/4-turn fasterns at the front, twist them 1/4 turn and you can pull out the snorkel).

There are red "locks" on the connectors that keep them from getting accidentally unplugged, so you need to slide the red locks back a bit, then pull this lever on the side of the connector to actually get the connector out (as I said before, probably want to disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally short to gound). Once you get the black connector off, if you look into the end of the connector, there is a big white plastic thing stuffed into the end -- this thing locks all the terminals in and you just need to pull it straight out with a pair of needle nose. Then, go to pin 21 (use the drawing I posted to find pin 21) and use a safety pin to release the terminal (you need to push the pin into the end of the connector and push a little plastic tab out of the way). Pull the wire out of the connector and pull it out of the wire harness enough so you've got some room to plug it into the grey connector.

Then remove the grey connector, pull out the white terminal lock, and stuff the pin into cavity 14 & reassemble. Now the Batt/IGN fuse will control the cig lighter. This is the blue fues in MrTyke's pic about 1/2 way down and all the way to the right. You can see that it's got two different positions you can put it in -- one way is on all the time, the other is just with ignition.

As far as the whole pins/terminals/whatever terms I'm using -- you basically need to pull one wire out of the "black" connector and put that wire back into the "grey" connector. Both connectors are the same type, so you don't need to cut/solder/etc, you can just pull it out of one connector and stuff it into the other (if you're patient and careful and don't break anything).

·
Registered
17 Posts

OK, I have the best solution so far.....(I borrowed, edited and hosted a previous picture to make it easy)

READ THE WHOLE POST PLEASE BEFORE ATTEMPTING!!!!!!!

OK, the terminal on the left side of the open fuse in the lower left of the picture is hot from the battery. You need to get some wire and crimp on a blade type connector (female half) and attach it here.

Then run the wire to the lower connection where the blue 15a fuse is (as shown in this picture). This will apply power to the cigarette lighter circuit. BUT , IMPORTANT**** This will also supply power to at least one other circuit, (the AC outlet , I think) and maybe more, I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE AS I HAVE NOT TESTED IT FULLY YET. You really should figure out how to attach it without backfeeding power into other circuits. You can do one of a couple things ----> first, find a blown fuse or somehow intentionally blow the 15a in there now. Then use the fuse to press the jumper wire into place. OR, use a blown fuse and get a fuse tap.....I will have to look up an exact part number and then you can get another female blade type connector and attach it like that. You want to use a blown fuse to keep power from feeding back into other circuits. The new jumper wire will apply power at all time so a good fuse is not necessary.

NOTE, applying power to the circuit will also apply power to the sunroof circuit if you have one on your car. I do not know if the sunroof will leak any current when not in use. If it does, it could drain the battery. If it doesnt leak any current, this could be a good thing because then your sunroof can be opened and/or closed at any time without a key.

I would suggest testing this out before you go somewhere that you cannot get a jump start in case there is some type of unforeseen drain.

Also, make sure that the wire you use to jump the fuses has an inline 15A fuse or else the accessory outlet and sunroof circuit will not be protected against a short circuit.

·
Registered
746 Posts

i have a caliber and i'm a little bit worried about doing this... i want to sooo bad! who wants to head up to guelph ontario for a quick afternoon of modding my fuse box and then a fun round of golf?? anyone?

·
Registered
187 Posts

(I posted a version of this message in another thread on this subject, but replicate here in case it helps someone.)

I did the accessory mod you see two posts up. My method may be a little easier. No soldering. No destroying a fuse. In fact, you make use of the fuse you pull out.

I bought everything I needed standing in one spot at my local Walmart. I bought the mini-fuse holder with pre-stripped wires at both ends, the crimp-on female blade recepticle, and for the other end, instead of blowing the fuse and soldering, I bought (still standing at that same spot at Walmart) an assortment of crimp-on connectors. What I was looking for was the open-ended terminal connector. It looks like a tiny horseshoe. I crimped on the female blade receptical on one of the fuse holder wires, crimped on the terminal connector on the other, CLIPPED OFF ONE OF THE 'FINGERS' of the horseshoe terminal connector, pushed on the female blade connector end of my new fused-jumper cable onto the source 12V blade (see picture two posts up to see where), PULLED THE 15AMP mini-fuse (refer to picture), inserted the terminal connector end (with only one finger left - it's now very similar to one leg of the fuse) into ONE of the fuse receptical pin sockets, the one closest to the left fender, and then made use of the fuse I had pulled by putting it into the fuse holderof the jumper cable I had just connected to my fuse box.

Simple. Elegant. I was able to put together the cable in about three minutes and about three minutes to install in the car.

I'm writing this from work and have no pictures, but you can get the idea looking at the picture provided just two posts above this one.

I've now installed it in both Calibers with success. Oh yes, I bought the crimping tool I needed still standing at that same spot at Walmart.

After three days no ill effects. The accessory port is now full-time. I put a ham radio walkie talkie on charge for hours while the car sat in the garage and again later I let the ham radio charge all afternoon while at work.

·
Registered
340 Posts

After reading all the ideas==>>

I just drilled a huge hole in the dash and screwed (wood screws of course) a remote outlet into the hole and then ran a set of jumper cables directly to the battery. It works but I think it detracts from the view (as I put right on top of the dash above the speedo cluster)

Truthfully, will try that latest mod and get back to you......

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

donsmith said:
(I posted a version of this message in another thread on this subject, but replicate here in case it helps someone.)

I did the accessory mod you see two posts up. My method may be a little easier. No soldering. No destroying a fuse. In fact, you make use of the fuse you pull out.
...I'm writing this from work and have no pictures, but you can get the idea looking at the picture provided just two posts above this one.
...After three days no ill effects. The accessory port is now full-time. I put a ham radio walkie talkie on charge for hours while the car sat in the garage and again later I let the ham radio charge all afternoon while at work.
donsmith, when you can, please post pic of final product. I can follow your writing, but would like to see the work.

Thanks for sticking with it.

Tyke

·
Registered
187 Posts

Attached are two pictures. One of the fusebox with the cable installed (slightly out of focus but close enough to see what's happening - same connection points as you see in a clear picture a few posts above this one), and a picture of the cable I made. Keep in mind that the fuse in the rubber fuse holder is the one pulled from the fusebox.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts

Anyone willing to do a full depth how-to with pictures and full description (parts list) please do, and I can sticky the post and would be a great addition to the massive information found on this forum!!

·
Registered
187 Posts

Parts From Wal Mart-

"Heavy Duty Fuse Holder - Mini Fuse" - Cat. No. BP/HHM
(For 20 to 30 Amp ATM Blade Type Fuses.
Yellow hanging package with red diagonal corner on top left.)

"Slide Connects Female" for use with 14-14 guage wire. 3M.
(Mostly yellow hanging package with red diagonal upper RIGHT corner.)

"Assorted Connects" 3M
(Same looking package as Slide Connects above)
(From this package I get the open terminal connector)
(With a little more searching, you can find a package that
contains only the open terminal connectors. Maybe at Radio Shack)

(If needed...) Professional Ergo Stripping and Cimping Tool.
(Hanging among connectors listed above.)

Using the stripping and crimping tool you might have to strip a few strands of the exposed copper wire to get the remaining group of wires to fit into the connectors.

Crimp the slide connect femail on one end of the fuseholder and the open (horseshoe-looking) terminal connector to the other end. Clip off one of the "fingers" of the open terminal connector.

Refer to the picture of the completed cable.

Open the hood of your Caliber. The fuse box is next to the left front fender (the car's left). It's rectangular with one corner curved inward. Pull on the two tabs on the edge toward the front of the car and left that edge up. It'll rotate toward the rear of the car and release itself from the opposed side.

Pull the 15-Amp fuse from the point indicated by the graphic below I borrowed from another post and put that fuse into the fuseholder of your new cable and close it's rubber cap.

Connect the female blade end of the cable to the blade indicated in the picture (of the two explosed blades its the one to your left as you lean over the right front fender, or the one closest to the front of the car.)

Connect the other end of the cable, the terminal connector with one finger cut off, into one of the holes left vacant by the fuse you pulled and put into your cable fuseholder. Put the remaining "finger" of your terminal connector, the opposite end of your new cable, into the now vacant fuse pin hole closest to the left front fender.

Dress down and replace the fusebox cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts

Errata from post above....

"Crimp the slide connect femail on one end ..."
-Should be "Crimp the slide connect female on one end "
(Correcting 'femail')

"...toward the front of the car and left that edge up..."
-Shoud be "...toward the front of the car and lift that edge up..."
(Correcting 'left')

"Connect the female blade end of the cable to the blade indicated in the picture (of the two explosed blades its the one to your left as you lean over the right front fender, or the one closest to the front of the car.)"
-Should be "Connect the female blade end of the cable to the blade indicated in the picture (of the two exposed blades its the one to your left as you lean over the left front fender, or the one closest to the front of the car.)"
Correcting "famail", explosed, and changing 'right' to 'left'.

"Dress down and replace the fusebox cover." should be clarified as "
Dress down the new jumper cable and replace the fusebox cover.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.