·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Hot-Wired Accessory Plug

donsmith said:
Parts From Wal Mart-

"Heavy Duty Fuse Holder - Mini Fuse" - Cat. No. BP/HHM
(For 20 to 30 Amp ATM Blade Type Fuses.
Yellow hanging package with red diagonal corner on top left.)

"Slide Connects Female" for use with 14-14 guage wire. 3M.
(Mostly yellow hanging package with red diagonal upper RIGHT corner.)

"Assorted Connects" 3M
(Same looking package as Slide Connects above)
(From this package I get the open terminal connector)
(With a little more searching, you can find a package that
contains only the open terminal connectors. Maybe at Radio Shack)

(If needed...) Professional Ergo Stripping and Cimping Tool.
(Hanging among connectors listed above.)

Using the stripping and crimping tool you might have to strip a few strands of the exposed copper wire to get the remaining group of wires to fit into the connectors.

Crimp the slide connect femail on one end of the fuseholder and the open (horseshoe-looking) terminal connector to the other end. Clip off one of the "fingers" of the open terminal connector.

Refer to the picture of the completed cable.

Open the hood of your Caliber. The fuse box is next to the left front fender (the car's left). It's rectangular with one corner curved inward. Pull on the two tabs on the edge toward the front of the car and left that edge up. It'll rotate toward the rear of the car and release itself from the opposed side.

Pull the 15-Amp fuse from the point indicated by the graphic below I borrowed from another post and put that fuse into the fuseholder of your new cable and close it's rubber cap.

Connect the female blade end of the cable to the blade indicated in the picture (of the two explosed blades its the one to your left as you lean over the right front fender, or the one closest to the front of the car.)

Connect the other end of the cable, the terminal connector with one finger cut off, into one of the holes left vacant by the fuse you pulled and put into your cable fuseholder. Put the remaining "finger" of your terminal connector, the opposite end of your new cable, into the now vacant fuse pin hole closest to the left front fender.

Dress down and replace the fusebox cover.
Looks just like my post above.

You could have just said "I did it like above except I clipped half off of a terminal and bought everything I needed at walmart." :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hot-Wired Accessory Plug CORRECTED

Parts From Wal Mart-

"Heavy Duty Fuse Holder - Mini Fuse" - Cat. No. BP/HHM
-For 20 to 30 Amp ATM Blade Type Fuses.
-Hanging yellow package with red diagonal corner on top left.

"Slide Connects Female" for use with 14-14 guage wire. 3M.
Mostly yellow hanging package with red diagonal upper RIGHT corner.

"Assorted Connects" 3M
-Same looking package as Slide Connects above.
-From this package I get the open terminal connector.
-With a little more searching, you can find a package that contains only the open terminal connectors. Maybe at Radio Shack.

(If needed...) Professional Ergo Stripping and Crimping Tool.
(Hanging among connectors at Wal Mart listed above.)

The wire ends of the fuseholder already have their insulation stripped off, however, using the stripping and crimping tool you might have to strip a few strands of the exposed copper wires from the fuseholder ends to get the remaining group of wires to fit into the terminal connectors.

Crimp a Slide Connect Female on the stripped end of one of the wires from the fuseholder and crimp an open (horseshoe-looking) Terminal Connector to the end of the other wire from the fuseholder. Clip off one of the "fingers" of the open Terminal Tonnector. (See attached picture of the cable.)

The jumper cable is complete except for the fuse you'll take from your Caliber's fusebox in the following steps to put into the fuseholder of the cable.

Open the hood of your Caliber. The fuse box is next to the left front fender (the car's left). It's rectangular with one corner curved inward. Pull on the bottom of the two tabs on the edge towards the front of the car and lift that edge up. It'll rotate up and toward the rear of the car and release itself from the opposite side of the fusebox.

Pull the 15-Amp fuse from the position indicated by the attached picture and put that fuse into the fuseholder of your new jumper cable and close it's rubber cap. You can also determine from the attached picture of the installed cable which fuse to pull (from the location at the right end of the jumper cable in the picture - that picture will also clarify which fuse pin hole to use with your new jumper cable).

Push on the female blade end of the jumper cable onto the blade indicated in the picture at the left end of the jumper cable (of the two exposed blades its the one to your left as you lean over the left front fender, the exposed blade closest to the front of the car.)

Connect the other end of the cable, the open (horseshoe) terminal connector with one finger cut off, into one of the holes left vacant by the fuse you just pulled to put into your jumper cable fuseholder. That happens at the right end of the jumper cable you see in the attached picture. Put the remaining "finger" of your terminal connector into the now vacant fuse pin hole closest to the left front fender. The pin hole closest to you as you lean over the left front fender. The attached picture clarifies this.

Dress down the cable and replace the fusebox cover. Reverse your movement to replace the fusebox cover. Lay down the end towards the rear of the car and rotate the opposite end down and snap the front tabs into place.

The nice thing about this mod is that it can be removed in a heartbeat in case you want to take your Caliber in for repair and not let them accuse you of voiding your warranty. I took the cable out of my Caliber to take the attached pictures and put it back in within a few moments. Just remember to take the fuse out of the fuseholder and put it back into it's empty slot in the fusebox if you decide to remove this mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts

Yellow Fever said:
Looks just like my post above.

You could have just said "I did it like above except I clipped half off of a terminal and bought everything I needed at walmart." :confused:
It's that kind of glossing-over that leads to confusion and readers looking through several posts to put it all together. I simply consolodated the best ideas and made an improvement. A moderator asked for an all-in-one to make sticky so I added a parts list, a picture of the cable with my change to make the cable simpler, a picture of the installed cable and clarified the instructions. I included all instructions for the one-stop convenience of interested readers. Never made a claim that I thought it all up myself. I would have been laughed at when readers can see many of the ideas scattered around previous posts. I just claimed to have what I thought was a better idea than blowing a fuse, breaking it, soldering, and buying another fuse for the cable. But, if your ego does not allow room to let others improve on an idea I'll let you have this forum and will keep my suggestions to myself.

So, to help your bruised ego, I therefore proclaim to all that I had no original thought on this project except to change one of the connectors to eliminate breaking, blowing, and soldering. No original contribution except to include a picture of my modified cable and a picture of the modified cable installed in the fusebox and to make the instructions all-inclusive. I now know better than to ever do that again.

·
Registered
775 Posts

I did this mod using the altered "C" connector in donsmith's instructions. All of the parts I already had, so I didn't have to spend any money, just time.

Total cost for mod: $0.00.
Total time spent on mod: <5 minutes.
Finished result: Priceless.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Hey Don- Just thought I'd let you know that your info was very useful for future reference for me. I'm not planning on doing this now, but when I get ready, it's good to know that this info is here. I've always thought that you had a lot of good input and ideas, so I hope you won't stop over that one comment. Besides, you seem like a pretty good guy, and you're a Texan! That's the way I see it anyway. Thanks.
Fitz

·
Registered
187 Posts

Fitz said:
... I've always thought that you had a lot of good input and ideas, so I hope you won't stop over that one comment. Besides, you seem like a pretty good guy, and you're a Texan! That's the way I see it anyway. Thanks.
Fitz
Boy, you don't realize just how Texan I am! Did you ever see the John Wayne movie "The Alamo"? The character of Almeron ****enson and his wife Susannah were an integral part of the movie. Almeron was captain of the artillery and Susannah cared for their infant daughter Angelina and would hide the baby behind a loose stone in the chapel of the Alamo whenever Santa Anna would attack. You may remember the ending where Susannah and the baby ride off on a horse led by a former slave and they pass by all the Mexican soldiers. Angelina became known as the "Baby of the Alamo". Angelina is my great, great grandmother. I myself was born in San Antonio. Look at the large painting of Susannah at the Alamo and you'll see where I got my nose!

If you know your Texas history then you know that Susannah made her way to Gonzales, TX to tell Gen. Sam Houston all she knew about Santa Anna, which helped Gen. Houston defeat Santa Anna in a fifteen minute battle at San Jacinto.

Here's a kicker for you: I work as a cameraman and videotape editor at NBC News working out the network bureau in Dallas (If you see this message soon enough you'll see a live shot from the Dallas Bureau on the Today Show tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 7:38am. I'll be the cameraman). I shoot and edit for the Today Show and Nightly News and Dateline. A Houston-based producer I often work with is Clint Houston, the great, great, great grandson of Gen. Sam Houston.

Anyway, thanks very much for your kind words. A couple of others have sent private messages of support as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Ruins Archaeological site Wall Historic site Fortification
Do I know my Texas history... Hell, I was there!!! Knew the whole family.
I sometimes work with Steve Houston who works for DuPont and is the nephew of (As much as I hate to say this, Kenny Rogers). Wonder if they're related.
Sorry to everyone for getting so off topic, but I had to send my Alamo pic. Besides, Mr. Don Smith is Texas Royalty! You can tell by the royal coach he drives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You guys know that you can make the outlet stay hot all the time by changing a setting in the car. All you do is pull the fuse out, cycle the ignition to the "ON" position 3 times in 10 seconds leaving it on the last time and hold the odometer button until it reads P-OFF and then release and press it once more so it reads P-On and then turn the ignition off and reinstall the fuse. I did this the night I bought my car. It's all in the owners manual. Don't you guys ever read that thing:confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just kidding guys!!!:D :D :D

I saw an opportunity because people were battling it out and I noticed that there was post 50 just waiting to be had. Hope nobody is :mad: about it. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts

donsmith said:
It's that kind of glossing-over that leads to confusion and readers looking through several posts to put it all together. I simply consolodated the best ideas and made an improvement. A moderator asked for an all-in-one to make sticky so I added a parts list, a picture of the cable with my change to make the cable simpler, a picture of the installed cable and clarified the instructions. I included all instructions for the one-stop convenience of interested readers. Never made a claim that I thought it all up myself. I would have been laughed at when readers can see many of the ideas scattered around previous posts. I just claimed to have what I thought was a better idea than blowing a fuse, breaking it, soldering, and buying another fuse for the cable. But, if your ego does not allow room to let others improve on an idea I'll let you have this forum and will keep my suggestions to myself.

So, to help your bruised ego, I therefore proclaim to all that I had no original thought on this project except to change one of the connectors to eliminate breaking, blowing, and soldering. No original contribution except to include a picture of my modified cable and a picture of the modified cable installed in the fusebox and to make the instructions all-inclusive. I now know better than to ever do that again.

HAHAHA , and I am the sensitive one with a bruised ego? :D :D :D :D You sound like my 3 year old son when he has a temper tantrum.

If you are trying to consolidate the info, why do you post your procedure in more than one thread? :
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230

Like I said, all you needed to do was say, "I did it just like above but I used a terminal with one side clipped off instead of a burned out fuse"

You could have saved all that time typing to figure out how to rewrite somebody else's idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey donsmith,

I think I figured out why Yellow Fever is so upset by you posting your helpful idea. You're cutting into his business venture.
Yellow Fever said:
If anybody would like me to make the fuse holder with everything you need to do the job (including an intentionally blown fuse) let me know [email protected] and I can send you one for about $10 to cover the cost of parts.
He'd rather charge people $10 to solder the wire onto a blown fuse than have you show people how to do it easier and cheaper. Don't you know it's not nice to mess with people's free market enterprises?

·
Registered
187 Posts

Yellow Fever said:
HAHAHA , and I am the sensitive one with a bruised ego? :D :D :D :D You sound like my 3 year old son when he has a temper tantrum.

If you are trying to consolidate the info, why do you post your procedure in more than one thread? :
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230

Like I said, all you needed to do was say, "I did it just like above but I used a terminal with one side clipped off instead of a burned out fuse"

You could have saved all that time typing to figure out how to rewrite somebody else's idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
As for posting my improvement in the other thread, well, there were two open discussions about making the accessory plug full-time. An eager new owner, searching for such information, could happen upon the other thread first and conclue there was no simple solution. I wasn't aware that the penalty for covering that possibility would be to endure your wrath. I am properly humiliated.

This is my last note on this subject. You're very needy and you require the attention of others. Knowing that I can understand how you think I've stolen your thunder and you're angry. However, your low self-esteem is not going to get to feed on my attention any longer. I've explained myself.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
Guys, I would have never asked for a How-To if there was going to be tension about who created it/ had the idea first.

THAT is why I left the thread intact, instead of creating a new post!
Don't worry bout it man. You'll never be able to please everyone. There is a good write up with parts needed and detailed instructions for everyone to follow. That's all you wanted so others can do this mod. If someone gets butt hurt over it, because it wasn't thier own write up, then they just need to get over it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HSKR said:
Don't worry bout it man. You'll never be able to please everyone. There is a good write up with parts needed and detailed instructions for everyone to follow. That's all you wanted so others can do this mod. If someone gets butt hurt over it, because it wasn't thier own write up, then they just need to get over it.
I never said I was hurt/upset/pissed off/mad over anything. It was one single solitary sentence.

You guys are turning this into a hell of alot more than it really is. I offered to sell them for $10 in another thread, but guess what, I have only sent out one since that thread was made so its hardly hurting the bottom line (and that was to canada and I paid the shipping and ended up losing $2). So that assumption is completely wrong. :rolleyes:

I have made a grand total profit of -$2. Wow:eek: , I could almost live off that!! You guys are funny!:D

Also, I am not upset about anything. I dont understand where you get that I am upset when I say that you did the same thing as an earlier post, (whether it was mine or not) with only one minor detail changed.

And remember, you said that your previous post was your last one:D :D :D
But I am sure you will reply and we can go on and on til someone gets banned or the thread is locked, I have lots of free time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yellow Fever said:
And remember, you said that your previous post was your last one:D :D :D
But I am sure you will reply and we can go on and on til someone gets banned or the thread is locked, I have lots of free time.
Uhh, this was my first post in this thread.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
If anyone has any further specific questions regarding the topic, please PM the appropriate members. At anytime something should be updated, please PM me and I will make the appropriate changes promptly!

Thanks!

:)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.