Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy’s

I’m in need of a little help.

I have been trying to remove the door panels op my Caliber but after taking out all the screws the panel is still stock to the door (due to the plastic clips) . I have seen the plastic clips that attach the door panel to the door but can not seem to figure out how the work them. I thought if would be a simple matter of lifting up the door panel and than pull it back but this does not seem to work

If anybody has any good advice on this matter please let me know.

Tnx,
DutchCaliber

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tried, but failed. I caused more damage than it was worth. If you are doing this to replace the speakers, the grill comes pops off separately. The speaker is then attached by 4 screws.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Prop1 - Did you do that damage thinking that you needed to take it all apart to get the speaker out? :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Prop1 - Did you do that damage thinking that you needed to take it all apart to get the speaker out? :confused:
No. I was trying to develop a quick mod for adding lighting to the door switches. There are obviously special tools needed to remove the panels, which is why the speakers were done the way they are. Fortunately, I'm professional enough that I know when to stop, and could repair or coverup any damage.;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Prop1 said:
No. I was trying to develop a quick mod for adding lighting to the door switches. There are obviously special tools needed to remove the panels, which is why the speakers were done the way they are. Fortunately, I'm professional enough that I know when to stop, and could repair or coverup any damage.;)
Out of curiousity, what kind of damage did you do to the door paneling? Broken clips? Cracked the panel?

·
Registered
153 Posts
mahal3680 said:
Out of curiousity, what kind of damage did you do to the door paneling? Broken clips? Cracked the panel?
Broken clips, cracked the plastic, damaged the fastener on the cover under the door handle, and left pry marks. Some of it was just from the frustration of being defeated. I've had door panels off on nearly every car I've owned, and never had so much trouble. Dodge obviously has something to hide under those panels.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guy’s I want to remove the door panels in order to remove the windows so I can put the window film on it. I to broke one clip, that was when I decided o stop , put the speaker and all the screws back and ask for some help here. You said something about a special tool, any specs on this tool?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The door panel is called a Bolster. To remove:
1. remove pull cup screw (in finger recess area rear of switches)
2. remove window crank (if equipped)
3. There are four catches that need to be unhooked in a certain order.

Using the trim stick or a flat plastic impliment (1/2 inch wide or so) start at bottom center. Slide trim stick under bolster and push along door towards the front of vehicle. Next go to top rear and do same as first one except push towards top of door. Third one is top front, push trim stick towards front of vehicle, the fourth one is near bottom front. Push trim stick in same direction as the slope of the bolster (towards front/down)
Next remove the sock seals that wrap around the switch bezel and wire harness. There are two of them one on each side of the switch bank. Disconnect the two connectors.

Remove Bolster by unsnapping the two plastic tethers from the Bolster backside of the surface. These are like little hangers you would use when installing a ceiling fan. They take the weight off and support the Bolster while you work on it.

Do your thing with the window glass and reverse the order to reinstall.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
199 Posts
FRONT DOOR GLASS​

REMOVAL​

1. Remove bolster.
2. Move glass to line up snap plates with access holes.
3. Using a punch or equivalent, press tabs releasing glass from window regulator.
4. Manually move glass upward to full up position and remove from window frame.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I may have failed, but I do know that there are 3 screws along the bottom (1 under the speaker, the bolster one, and another one behind the trim piece below the door handle. There is trully a technique to it, because I tried using a flat piece of metal, a putty knife, and a slim jim to release the catches and had no luck. Maybe I just did it in the wrong order.:confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
HSKR said:
You do not need to remove the glass to tint them.
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I had my windows tinted professionally. I watched from the waiting area, and the guy did it without removing any windows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guy's,

I know that you can Tint without removing the window but it is so much essayer to do it that way. At least it is when the door panels are easy to remove :)
I might just do it with the windows in this time, because I have tried the door panels again but still no luck.

Thanks anyway for all the advice.

Greets
Dutch Caliber

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have to clear up previous post on Bolster removal. Sorry for the confusion ( I edited it a bit). The instructions I left for you are for the Bolster only (thats the center portion that is usually the darker color) One must take off the door module itself (including the speaker and grill) after that to gain complete access to the metal door skin. There are several screws and caps to remove, as well as I believe nine (9) reusable catches holding the module to the door itself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
also, did you over look the star screw in the opening in front of the power windows n such?

its how i got my panels off, or at least access to it..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts