Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..it's just a personal thing I miss my truck. Also between the pinging (which was sucessfully fixed) and 2 different plastic shields on the bottom of the car mysteriously coming of I hate it and wish I would have got a truck.
Also went to trade it in and don't look at the depreciasion, obviously there would be some but I paid 18.5 for my SXT and I can only get 15 back.
Alot of cars would probably be the same but I made a mistake.
I will say everyone else loves this car people actually stop me so I know I am just hard to please, what can I say.

·
Registered
683 Posts
15K trade in value is about right. You paid retail but when you trade in you're gonna get wholesale value. It also varies by dealer and area.

I miss my truck at times too but I love the $35 fill ups compared to my trucks $85.

·
Registered
38 Posts
totally agree huff, that hemi ate my lunch, I was spending $1000 a month on gas, now I can get another harley or texas chopper:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also agree huff, my hemi was $500 a month or more. I miss my truck but do love the $35 fill ups and I also love getting looks from people when Im driving my caliber, Kirbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
I won't miss my truck...

I am trading in a standard cab 4x2 (no room), gas guzzler for a beauty, that when it rains my groceries and stuff won't get wet, and if I need to move something big I will call on a friend. If you think about it, just about everyone should know someone who has a truck, if not there are other alternatives.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I loved my truck but the fact that I was spending to much on gas and that we want to have kids made the Caliber a nice choice. I haven't had the problems you have discribed with mine but I don't think it is a bad vehicle. I know that you could have always bought something worse. I figure just give it a year. If you still hate it after a year of driving then ditch it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had two gas guzzlers. A 2001 Ram and a 2004 4x4 Hemi Durango. I traded the Ram in for the Caliber. Still have the Durango and love it. I don't drive it enough to worry about the gas. Use it to pull a small camp trailer and ski trips in the winter. One gas guzzler is enough!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to remember that you bought a first model year, there are going to many recalls, and problems along the way. I mean as other posts have said they are going to more shifts, well that just means more untrained people with minimal experience. It will get better. The gas doesnt bother me so much, i drove a honda civic, that was 25 to fill up, so this is just more room for me now. You would definatly have better luck selling it used on like autotrader, or cars.com they so hot right now some1 wud pay very close to what you paid depending on what shape and the mileage.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Maybe your expectations are too high.

You bought a compact station wagon that is the cheapest Dodge product. Can't buy coal and expect diamonds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ewitz said:
Maybe your expectations are too high.

You bought a compact station wagon that is the cheapest Dodge product. Can't buy coal and expect diamonds.
If this is coal then Santa loves me!!!:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Amen to that!!! This is a horrible analogy, but if the cali is coal, and fabrication and customization are time and pressure, you can have your diamonds...

·
Banned
76 Posts
The Great Mongo said:
Amen to that!!! This is a horrible analogy, but if the cali is coal, and fabrication and customization are time and pressure, you can have your diamonds...
Words of wisdom.........from a janitor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW! Never thought I would get that many replies. Thanks to all who didn't come at me with insults but I felt a little compasssion with good advice. Thanks again. Whoever recomended autotrader I think I may give it a try.
I have no political opinion on whether this war was right or not but damn these gas prices!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I also love the $35 fill ups compared to $54 fill ups for my Dakota R/T. Especially considering I get twice the miles per tank out of my Caliber. But I will never get rid of my truck. I've put to much time, energy, and money to get even half what I have into it, plus There no way I coudl ever replace it and have the same feeling I do driving my truck. As for the groceries getting wet, problem solved with a fiberglass tonneau cover, and I don't have to worry about trying to find a friend to haul stuff, just have to find a friend to help remove my tonneau. And if someone else asks me to hlep them haul stuff, I tell them I can't because of the tonneau cover, and they don't ask again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought a 2004 Durango which was a 1st year production vehicle. Very little was from earlier models. The engine and transmission were out for a few years but little else. I've had several issues but all minor and all quickly resolved. My experience with vehicles that had been out for several years has been horrible. Mostly GM products that I've had troubles with.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tony Rome said:
WOW! Never thought I would get that many replies. Thanks to all who didn't come at me with insults but I felt a little compasssion with good advice. Thanks again. Whoever recomended autotrader I think I may give it a try.
I have no political opinion on whether this war was right or not but damn these gas prices!!!!!!!!
What is really funny, it seems the ONLY outcome is higher gas prices, I find that very interesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bailed on my special order Caliber RT and bought a honda Civic instead. This is allowing me to keep my 2003 Dakota quad cab. If I had gone ahead with the Caliber it was a foregone conclusion that I'd be selling the truck to pay for the Caliber. With the Civic coming in at $3300 cheaper than the RT and getting significantly better mileage too (not to mention waaaaaaay more reliable), I can now keep my truck and drive the Civic as much as possible. I had real big issues with the possibility of selling the truck. Hauling our bikes, pulling our ATV and moving big purchases like TV's and furniture, were all things the Caliber couldn't do anyways. My truck is mint with 35,000KM. I'm not gonna give it away to someone (depreciation sucks) so I can save 80 bucks a month on gas by driving a Caliber. It would cost me $45,000 in a few years to get an equivalent Sport Ute to my Dakota. I was in love with the Caliber from day one. But, I was trying to fit a round peg in a square hole to justify buying one when it didn't really make sense for us at this time. Its still a nice little car but dang, do I like our Civic too!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
got my hemi truck and my caliber... i must say for day to day use i love my caliber much better... much more gentile on the wallet... although... my big truck has its perks as well... ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I heard an interview with T. Boone Pickens not long ago, and he predicted that gas would be $4.00 a gallon very soon. And it aint goin down! Generally, if this man tells you to k--- y--- a--, you do it. As far as the pickup thing- They're now reporting groups of people who go to trucks and just take anything that's in the back, whether it's valuable or not, and that's happened to me several times in the past.
I think I'll just keep my Caliber, and even though I'm a Texan, I'll never own a pickup again!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well here in the UK petrol is about £4.50 a gal at the moment. Thats $8.45 by the way, so thank your lucky stars n stripes that your in the good ole US of A.

$10.32 for 20 cigarettes over here too.

prices quoted are at exchange rate of £1.00 = $1.87810 @ 08:30-03/08/06

I'm opting for a diesel manual caliber to get the higher mpg.

Diesel prices are now more than petrol since more people started to buy diesel cars. The Government doesnt miss a trick !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts