Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the CAIS (Canadian International Autoshow) when at the Dodge booth and I asked the sales people when the Caliber SRT4 would be available and one answer was (1) apparently it is breaking drivetrain parts and has been delayed until next year and the second person said (2) with the merger talks, Dodge is focused on selling higher volume units and didn't have the time or resources to fix the pre-production launch issues and has delayed the srt4 until next year.

two different dodge employees at two different locations in their booth, two similar answers i didn't like... I gave up. Like many I had planned a getting a car last year but held off for this spring when I read about the SRT4 but I am simply not willing to play this kept in the dark game any longer so i walked over to the mazda booth

A week later I have a deposit on a black mica MS3 which I should get in 6-7 weeks



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
I went to the Mazda site and could not find a Mica. What is a Mica based from and what would it be called in the States? I am confused if this is even out yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo we've LOST you!!!!

Ah well.. good call.. i'm tired of waiting too. Makes it a little easier for ME to wait longer though since i'm still sportin' around in the Neon SRT-4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
holy crap.. $30,000 base? Thats around 25,500 USD right? That much for a car without AWD i would definetly go for a mustang instead. Or maybe a used magnum R/T :) NA V8 power with massive aftermarkets and TONS of potential. Thats just me though, Mr. Anti japanese car himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Did I miss something when I specd it out? The motor is a 2.3, correct?

No turbo, or is it a turbo and I can't read. The money does seem pretty high though. But, alas we STILL don't have the REAL price for an SRT Caliber.

Good Luck with you purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironside said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo we've LOST you!!!!

Ah well.. good call.. i'm tired of waiting too. Makes it a little easier for ME to wait longer though since i'm still sportin' around in the Neon SRT-4.
The caliber has been my first choice since last January last year, but seeing as we sold one car last may i can't wait another year to replace it. the offer is conditional, so should the srt4 magically hit lots in the next 7-8 weeks lol

i hope dodge reads notes like this to see they are losing people, i wasn't joking when i said i would get a car in the spring lol. i plan to hang around though as an adopted srt fan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OrangeRT said:
Did I miss something when I specd it out? The motor is a 2.3, correct?

No turbo, or is it a turbo and I can't read. The money does seem pretty high though. But, alas we STILL don't have the REAL price for an SRT Caliber.

Good Luck with you purchase.
Review
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0610sccp_2007_mazdaspeed_3/index.html
Specs
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11724/2007-mazdaspeed-3-specs-page4.html

2.3L turbo, 263hp 280lbs tq. should probally be a touch slower than the srt4 stock to stock, but it seems like a good all arounder and you can buy them this year lol. http://www.ajac.ca/english/ccoty/2007/test_data.asp?lang=1 scroll down to the sub 50k sports car category to get the MS3's data, the 80-120kmph is not far behind the gt500 and audi rs4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Fingernipp said:
holy crap.. $30,000 base? Thats around 25,500 USD right? That much for a car without AWD i would definetly go for a mustang instead. Or maybe a used magnum R/T :) NA V8 power with massive aftermarkets and TONS of potential. Thats just me though, Mr. Anti japanese car himself.
The US gets two models, a sport and a GT. The GT gets leather, HID's, Led tails, sat nav (option) etc. the sport is around 23k and the GT is about 24-25k.

Canada (keep in mind the currency) gets the GT minus the leather side seat trim, and sat is not an option so it is about 24K USD or 30k CND... i managed to get it for about $1700 below MRSP so importing wouldn't really be any cheaper.

A Dodge R/T in Canada is $41,775k MRSP and a Mustang GT starts at 34K.... both cost more than 29k and both are alot slower stock to stock as factory FI is cheaper to put down big numbers. It like the srt4 are more my style as they offer hatch back practicality, good handling and performance at a reasonable price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
It must be me. I swear I looked at the Mazda site for 10 minutes and never saw the word turbo. Duh!

Glad that you will stick around.

I hope/wish the SRT would come before your Mazda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OrangeRT said:
It must be me. I swear I looked at the Mazda site for 10 minutes and never saw the word turbo. Duh!

Glad that you will stick around.

I hope/wish the SRT would come before your Mazda.
I had wished that before deciding both would have been out and been compared in the rags and were available for a test drive... that was before dodge dropped the ball on the srt4 and put it to the back of the priority bus.

if you go to the mazda 3 and select the mazdaspeed 3 all the specs are available from the link and it mentions some of the differences on the front page (pasted below from mazda.ca)

Based upon the Mazda3 Sport hatchback, the MAZDASPEED3 gives sports-minded consumers a double dose of Zoom-Zoom. With its compact, lightweight body and maximum power of 263 horsepower @ 5500 rpm and 280 lb.-ft. of torque at 3000 rpm, the MAZDASPEED3 is one of the highest performance sports compacts with front-wheel-drive on the road today.

MAZDASPEED3 dramatically reinforces the acclaimed dynamics of the original Mazda3 and delivers maximum driving pleasure through outstanding performance and a superior chassis.

To create this new benchmark, Mazda looked to embody the following three requirements:

-Driving Fun: Formidable performance from the MZR 2.3L DISI Turbo engine, along with sharply responsive handling achieved by capitalizing on the characteristics of the compact, lightweight body.

-Ownership Delight: Exterior styling that gives an immediate impression of driving fun, and an interior with a quality feel that exceeds expectations.

-Everyday, User Friendly Convenience: An exceptional balance of driving pleasure with everyday functionality and comfort.

As a result, the flagship of the Mazda3 range features a stylishly sophisticated look combined with performance levels that make it one of the fastest sports compacts with a FWD layout. MAZDASPEED3 offers truly exhilarating acceleration from a standing start, superior passing acceleration in the practical speed range and one of the highest top speeds in its class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
A Dodge R/T in Canada is $41,775k MRSP and a Mustang GT starts at 34K.... both cost more than 29k and both are alot slower stock to stock as factory FI is cheaper to put down big numbers.
A mustang GT is definetly not slower than the mazda speed3 and teh GT in the states starts at 26k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fingernipp said:
A mustang GT is definetly not slower than the mazda speed3 and teh GT in the states starts at 26k
Sorry, I knew i would have to clarify that slightly... I am reffering to the 80-120kmph tests where the MS3 is just behind the 500HP Shelby GT500 and would dust a stock GT from a roll. Mustang does - 13.8 sec @ 103 mph vs. 14.4 sec @ 99 mph for the ms3 as the fwd just doesn't launch all that well

The GT MRSP is 24,550 on Mazda's website, 26k would include every option available (i.e. nav).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
The caliber has been my first choice since last January last year, but seeing as we sold one car last may i can't wait another year to replace it. the offer is conditional, so should the srt4 magically hit lots in the next 7-8 weeks lol

i hope dodge reads notes like this to see they are losing people, i wasn't joking when i said i would get a car in the spring lol. i plan to hang around though as an adopted srt fan
Congrats on the purchase. You wont be the only one giving up the wait. If they don't get the SRT/4 out before the Mitsu Lancer EVO they're going to lose even more sales.









by Norm Mort, Sun Media
At the NAIAS in January, Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) announced the world debut of the all-new 2008 Lancer compact sedan, which reaches dealerships in March. Also unveiled was Prototype X (“X” being the Roman numeral for 10), a concept version of the next-generation, street legend Lancer Evolution 10 that will become available in the first quarter of 2008.
In Detroit I had an exclusive interview with Dan Sims, general manager MDAR in charge of design.
I am happy to report the new Evo 10 will be sold in Canada.

A leap in evolution
It’s all-new and offers a huge boost in specifications and performance over the previous model, which was not available here.

The next Evo will share the new Lancer’s overall styling including its distinctive shark-nose grille, but in a larger, more accentuated opening. As well as a unique front end and sculptured hood with functional scoop, the rear fenders pontoon out over the 20-in. alloy rear wheels. A different decklid and larger spoiler distinguish the Evo. The new Evo differs slightly in most dimensions - including a 50-mm-wider track than the current Evo 9.

Inside, the deeply contoured bucket seats are upholstered in high-grip Alcantara with full high tech instrumentation and fittings.

The next Lancer Evolution will be powered by a turbocharged version of the new 20-kg (53.4 lbs) lighter, aluminum 4B11 2.0-litre DOHC MIVEC engine used in the 2008 Lancer.
It will yield the highest power rating ever in an Evolution model with its cross-flow head, but that hasn’t been disclosed yet. A lighter front end weight and lower centre of gravity will provide the new Evo with even better balance.

The new engine was designed from the outset for high-performance turbocharged applications. High inherent strength has been achieved partly through over-engineering of the open deck block, and the use of large water jackets and metal areas around each siamesed cylinder bore. The reciprocating assembly of the turbocharged 4B11 is capable of withstanding high levels of boost.
Prototype X and subsequent new Evo will be equipped with an automated manual transmission with magnesium steering wheel paddle shifters

According to Mitsubishi, this new transmission will offer lightning-fast, paddle-shift-actuated shifting when desired, along with offering a fully automatic mode. Apparently, this unit is not a conventional torque-converter automatic transmission, but rather a true auto-capable manual similar to that used on some of the world’s most notable performance models. For stick shift purists, the next Lancer Evolution will still offer a conventional five-speed manual transmission.

The next Lancer Evolution will also feature the new Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) system. Combining intelligent full-time four-wheel drive with stability control, S-AWC is a further development of the advanced full-time 4WD technology first introduced on the new-generation Outlander SUV for 2007.

This next-generation system in the Evo combines an Active Centre Differential (ACD) with an Active Yaw Control (AYC) rear differential and Active Skid Control (ASC). The AYC rear differential has never been offered on a Lancer Evolution sold in the U.S. market. The combination of all these technologies will ensure the Evo makes optimal use out of the engine’s torque and also ensure the highest level of dynamic capability and stability.

Better every-day driving

The next Lancer Evolution once again features its own suspension system with race-proven forged aluminum components. This new global C-platform allows for the suspension to be tuned to provide a more compliant and stable ride than before without compromising handling performance.

Mitsubishi also stressed the upcoming Lancer Evolution will be a markedly better car for everyday driving. User technologies introduced on the new Outlander and Lancer models will also be offered in the next Lancer Evolution, including a premium Rockford-Fosgate 650-watt (max.) audio system, HDD navigation system with music server, Bluetooth, steering wheel audio controls and an automatic climate control system.

The new Evo will be backed by Mitsubishi’s comprehensive warranty.
For all intents and purposes, the Concept X and the new Mitsubishi Evo 10 differ only in minor details according to Dan Sims, who is a big enthusiast as well as designer.

Look for such goodies as Brembo brakes, BBS wheels, a functional spoiler, twin exhaust, Recarro seats, while Dan also stressed the increased refinemen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xlimodriver said:
Congrats on the purchase. You wont be the only one giving up the wait. If they don't get the SRT/4 out before the Mitsu Lancer EVO they're going to lose even more sales.




by Norm Mort, Sun Media
At the NAIAS in January, Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) announced the world debut of the all-new 2008 Lancer compact sedan, which reaches dealerships in March. Also unveiled was Prototype X (“X” being the Roman numeral for 10), a concept version of the next-generation, street legend Lancer Evolution 10 that will become available in the first quarter of 2008.
In Detroit I had an exclusive interview with Dan Sims, general manager MDAR in charge of design.
I am happy to report the new Evo 10 will be sold in Canada.

A leap in evolution
It’s all-new and offers a huge boost in specifications and performance over the previous model, which was not available here.

The next Evo will share the new Lancer’s overall styling including its distinctive shark-nose grille, but in a larger, more accentuated opening. As well as a unique front end and sculptured hood with functional scoop, the rear fenders pontoon out over the 20-in. alloy rear wheels. A different decklid and larger spoiler distinguish the Evo. The new Evo differs slightly in most dimensions - including a 50-mm-wider track than the current Evo 9.

Inside, the deeply contoured bucket seats are upholstered in high-grip Alcantara with full high tech instrumentation and fittings.

The next Lancer Evolution will be powered by a turbocharged version of the new 20-kg (53.4 lbs) lighter, aluminum 4B11 2.0-litre DOHC MIVEC engine used in the 2008 Lancer.
It will yield the highest power rating ever in an Evolution model with its cross-flow head, but that hasn’t been disclosed yet. A lighter front end weight and lower centre of gravity will provide the new Evo with even better balance.

The new engine was designed from the outset for high-performance turbocharged applications. High inherent strength has been achieved partly through over-engineering of the open deck block, and the use of large water jackets and metal areas around each siamesed cylinder bore. The reciprocating assembly of the turbocharged 4B11 is capable of withstanding high levels of boost.
Prototype X and subsequent new Evo will be equipped with an automated manual transmission with magnesium steering wheel paddle shifters

According to Mitsubishi, this new transmission will offer lightning-fast, paddle-shift-actuated shifting when desired, along with offering a fully automatic mode. Apparently, this unit is not a conventional torque-converter automatic transmission, but rather a true auto-capable manual similar to that used on some of the world’s most notable performance models. For stick shift purists, the next Lancer Evolution will still offer a conventional five-speed manual transmission.

The next Lancer Evolution will also feature the new Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) system. Combining intelligent full-time four-wheel drive with stability control, S-AWC is a further development of the advanced full-time 4WD technology first introduced on the new-generation Outlander SUV for 2007.

This next-generation system in the Evo combines an Active Centre Differential (ACD) with an Active Yaw Control (AYC) rear differential and Active Skid Control (ASC). The AYC rear differential has never been offered on a Lancer Evolution sold in the U.S. market. The combination of all these technologies will ensure the Evo makes optimal use out of the engine’s torque and also ensure the highest level of dynamic capability and stability.

Better every-day driving

The next Lancer Evolution once again features its own suspension system with race-proven forged aluminum components. This new global C-platform allows for the suspension to be tuned to provide a more compliant and stable ride than before without compromising handling performance.

Mitsubishi also stressed the upcoming Lancer Evolution will be a markedly better car for everyday driving. User technologies introduced on the new Outlander and Lancer models will also be offered in the next Lancer Evolution, including a premium Rockford-Fosgate 650-watt (max.) audio system, HDD navigation system with music server, Bluetooth, steering wheel audio controls and an automatic climate control system.

The new Evo will be backed by Mitsubishi’s comprehensive warranty.
For all intents and purposes, the Concept X and the new Mitsubishi Evo 10 differ only in minor details according to Dan Sims, who is a big enthusiast as well as designer.

Look for such goodies as Brembo brakes, BBS wheels, a functional spoiler, twin exhaust, Recarro seats, while Dan also stressed the increased refinemen


they already have pics of what it should look like :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Just 1 question? Seeing that Lancer and Caliber 2L engines are basically the same, could you not go to the Mitsu parts counter for EVO performance goodies for your Caliber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Same engine family, but Hyundai and Mitsu's look very different and I think that it it COULD be done, but it would probably include bolting on more than just the obvious.

Mitsu Galant has same 2.4 engine but different intake fuel management and totally different trans setup. As example.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

This is a chop, but omg !!! (They keep saying JANUARY 2008 RELEASE!!!) for another 5k over SRT i think ill take it! ( no prices confirmed yet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Yeah, but.......... I know Mitsu and MOPAR have done things together since the early 70's but it still does not have a PENTASTAR on it's fender.

MOPAR only for me, good or bad. Mitsu IS (of course) second on my list of cars to own. (I had a few variants 80's Challenger, Early 70s colt, etc)

Killer pic of the EVO. Hopefully it WILL look that good in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
You don't need to look at the EVO anymore. They're going to make the Ralliart lancer an AWD mid step between the **** lancer and the EVO. It'll be competition for the WRX, but should (might?) put down more power. Considering that the new evo is supposed to be 300+bhp right?

(can you tell I've been following the ralliart lancer?)
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top