Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know of those crash ratings the car got? i now know why...

Last night, i went on a little drive with 2 of my friends, and i was about to go around the corner, when i turned the wheel and the car didnt turn, the front right tire had a flat, and i lost control, and ended up hitting an embankment, and rolling the car 2 times, and doing a 180 somewhere in there... everyone walked away from the crash with minor cuts, scrapes and burises. i was the only one who had had an actual injury (just some shoulder pain, doc said everything was fine). The air bags didnt deploy either.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thats what I was thinking... Who cares though. You guys are alright, that's what matters most. The caliber can be replaced of course, as much as I hate to see one setting there all banged up like that. It did surprisingly well I think to roll like it did.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I find it strange that the curtain airbags didn't deploy. This is something you should contact Dodge about. Cause they Should have deployed in the roll over.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is serious. If I'm not mistaken, every accident that a caliberforums member has been in the airbags have not deployed. Could this be a hidden design flaw that has gone by unnoticed and might cause someone to have a life threatening injury in the future?. Glad to hear that you and your friends made it out safe.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
soory to see a caliber like that but the most importent thing is that everyone is allright ,i shure hope your getting a new caliber ,all the best Thomas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12am said:
This is serious. If I'm not mistaken, every accident that a caliberforums member has been in the airbags have not deployed. Could this be a hidden design flaw that has gone by unnoticed and might cause someone to have a life threatening injury in the future?. Glad to hear that you and your friends made it out safe.
the owners manual says that the side curtin airbags are not designed to deploy in the event of a roll over.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm glad to hear everyone walked away. Sorry about your accident. Hope you have smooth sailing with insurance and get a car you can feel good about whatever you get. In my prayers for fast healing even minor injuries in an accident like that are jarring. Mia

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the side curtain airbags as well as the front airbags are only supposed to deploy when the car is impacted. A rollover is not an impact. The bags POP and can snap your head and neck unless your head and neck are being pressed hard into the bag by the force of the impact. It would be dangerous to have them pop your head when you're not being impacted and thus not thrown into the bags with force as they deploy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
12am said:
This is serious. If I'm not mistaken, every accident that a caliberforums member has been in the airbags have not deployed. Could this be a hidden design flaw that has gone by unnoticed and might cause someone to have a life threatening injury in the future?
The problems is that airbags are misunderstood. Since they are meant to protect the occupants from heavy impacts, they will not always deploy in an accident. Front airbags deploy during a hard frontal impact & curtains deploy under a hard side collision.

In general, a rollover is a low impact collision as the car is not impacting anything, just rolling. More chaos than direct impact.

J

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dang it, that thing is torn up. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dude, glad you're here to tell the story. Sorry 'bout your Caliber...

Did you have the Driver's Convenience package? If so, the tire pressure monitor should have given you a warning about the flat.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
MetroAWD said:

Did you have the Driver's Convenience package? If so, the tire pressure monitor should have given you a warning about the flat.
or the soft feel in the wheel accompanied by the sound of a tire down

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Aww man that sucks alot! Glad everyone is ok.
Im guessing the insurance co is taking the car. I suggest you grab everything you can get your hands on first too. Definetly dont forget any aftermarket parts you may have added.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MetroAWD said:

i didnt have the DCG, and when i started to turn, the tire gave out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
Wow!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Being it is a total loss, are you thinking of another Caliber, or going to try something else?
i'm hoping another caliber, but we'll see how everything goes.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts