Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really posted here before, and sorry for the long thread, but I'm so happy right now that I just had to post.

Anyway, my story starts about a month ago. There are two Dodge dealerships in town, and I decided to go to the closer one to place an order on a Caliber. I figured that they wouldn't have any in stock, and knew that placing an order would take some time. I arrived ready to talk to this Tony guy who I had spoken with on a couple earlier occasions about my interest in buying a car. He ended up dumping me on his fiancé because he was busy with another customer. She was probably the worst salesperson I've ever dealt with. She had very limited knowledge of the vehicle (it's sad when I, as a customer, am answering her questions about the car), kept drifting off into stories about her personal life (???) and kind of dismissed the sale by prejudging me as "just some kid."

Despite my inhibitions, I placed the order anyway, and put down a $500 deposit to prove my intent. Well, I actually just wrote down what I wanted on a post-it note because they claimed they were unable to order the car at that time. Over the following weeks, I emailed him a couple times to see if he had ordered the car, which he had not. Why it takes a month to just place an order, I don’t know.

Fast forward to yesterday when my coworker informed me that he had just purchased a vehicle from the other Dodge dealership in town and said he had one of the best salespeople ever. I asked him to give the guy my business card and tell him what I was looking for. The salesman called me last night and after I explained the situation told me he couldn't guarantee anything, but he'd do his best at finding me a vehicle. This morning, not even 24 hours later, he told me he had a Cali, which was spec'd almost exactly how I wanted it. Turns out the couple who originally ordered it decided to get a mini-van instead. I hauled ass to get down there before someone else could get their hands on it, took it for a test drive, and immediately fell in love. I put a promise-to-buy deposit down (he only asked for $100) because the earliest I can get the money for my down payment is Friday.

So, basically, come Friday, I'll be the owner of a new silver Caliber SXT Sport with blue inserts, 6-disc changer, Sirius, MusicGate, moon roof, cruise control, and heated seats (this is the one option I didn't want, but I'll live :D). I'll post pictures as soon as she's mine!

Now all I have to do is go fight with the original dealership to get my deposit back. Wish me luck!

P.S. I also read today in the local newspaper that the dealership I had originally went to is being sued by DCX for fraudulent sales practices.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sweet congrats!!! Did you get your $500 back from them???

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sweet! They have to give your $500 back from them. Unless the car is in D status, they can cancel the order at any time, which they'd be dumb to do anyways if it is in fact ordered.

Thats almost what I ordered minus the heated seats and MP3 player and I got Orange w/orange inserts.

Hope you like your Caliber!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Congrats man, looks like you got a little bit than you originally wanted!!:)

Definately post pictures, I am sure you know what will happen if you don't:D

Hope all works out well with the other deposit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
orangecalibersxt said:
Sweet! They have to give your $500 back from them. Unless the car is in D status, they can cancel the order at any time, which they'd be dumb to do anyways if it is in fact ordered.

Thats almost what I ordered minus the heated seats and MP3 player and I got Orange w/orange inserts.

Hope you like your Caliber!
Yeah, I wanted orange, because the silver on dodge.com looks ugly, but when I saw it in person I immediately loved it. The blue inserts accent it perfectly. I also wanted the base radio because of the Aux jack, but I like Sirius so much that I'd probably never use my iPod anyway. I also get a 15% Sirius discount through my work for when my year of service ends.

edit: Also, the car I originally wanted isn't even ordered yet. It's been a month and he still hasn't ordered the vehicle. I should have no problems getting my deposit back, because according to the other dealership Ohio state law states that all deposits must be 100% refundable. Even if they did order the vehicle, I'm sure they'd sell it in a day or two.

·
Registered
135 Posts
SpacedOut said:
She had very limited knowledge of the vehicle (it's sad when I, as a customer, am answering her questions about the car)
I know how this is lol :) They need to do some research...at least look over the specs! But mainly I think it just means we had spent to much time researching and in the forums. LOL j/k

SpacedOut said:
Why it takes a month to just place an order, I don’t know.
Not that it matters anymore I guess since you got lucky :) But I have an idea as to why this happend. (Other than the dealership just being "challenged")

From what I have been told evidently before the Caliber was released Dodge made a bunch of them based on thier own options. When the dealerships were contacted they were allowed to order so many and then had to take the rest out of this "pool" of premade cars. Until this "pool" was gone they were limited to the number of cars they could order.

Is this 100%....WHO KNOWS! If we have learned even one thing here it is that not even Dodge knows EXACTLY what is going on with ANYTHING! :D lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
:D Congratulations. I'm sorry you had such a tough time with the dealership. I am glad the second one came through so quickly. I tell you, when I hear how tough it is to order. I'm glad I let my friend talk me into indulging myself with all the options I wouldn't have normally chosen. Tough to handle that music gate ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BethJ said:
I know how this is lol :) They need to do some research...at least look over the specs! But mainly I think it just means we had spent to much time researching and in the forums. LOL j/k
I'll admit, I did a lot of reading here and on dodge.com before hand, but she was asking things like "did you want A/C in your SXT? It's a $1,000 option" But, A/C comes standard in all SXT's! And "You should get cruise control, it's only like $40 extra!" Don't tell me it's like $40 when it's actually like $210 more than that!

savimia said:
:DCongratulations. I'm sorry you had such a tough time with the dealership. I am glad the second one came through so quickly. I tell you, when I hear how tough it is to order. I'm glad I let my friend talk me into indulging myself with all the options I wouldn't have normally chosen. Tough to handle that music gate;)
Yeah, I debated getting the MusicGate because I would never actually use the tailgate option, but now that I've heard the overall improved soundsystem I'm totally sold. I don't know what the base system sounded like, but with this it's excellent! I'm leasing, too, so if the base system sucked I wouldn't be able to upgrade it. I had some nice Infinity soundsystem speakers in my old Stratus, so I've been spoiled!

·
Registered
343 Posts
congratulations SpacedOut. What town in Ohio are you in so I can avoid that dealership?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is always nice when a dealer goes against the grain and actually does their job of selling a car to someone. No hassles and no games with just deciding on a price to be the biggest worry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
SXTANDME said:
It is always nice when a dealer goes against the grain and actually does their job of selling a car to someone. No hassles and no games with just deciding on a price to be the biggest worry.
Fortunately I get EP pricing through my mom, so I don't even need to haggle the price. :D

edit: I guess I should've mentioned, I got my deposit back from the original dealership! They were reall asses about it, but, eh, it was expected!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
SpacedOut said:
Fortunately I get EP pricing through my mom, so I don't even need to haggle the price. :D

edit: I guess I should've mentioned, I got my deposit back from the original dealership! They were reall asses about it, but, eh, it was expected!!!
I am just being curious, but how much is EP pricing for your vehicle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
SXTANDME said:
I am just being curious, but how much is EP pricing for your vehicle?
Well my sticker was $19,900, and I got it for $18,100. Works out to about 9%, or in my math system, 200 12-packs of beer. :D

[edit] I guess I should've added that I got the car today! I wasn't able to drive around in it much because I did the whole signing thing during an extended break my manger gave me between a meeting and the rest of my work shift, but I'll definately be showing it off around town tomorrow. :) I'll also add pics as soon as I get a battery for my camera.

·
Registered
162 Posts
SpacedOut said:
Well my sticker was $19,900, and I got it for $18,100. Works out to about 9%, or in my math system, 200 12-packs of beer. :D

[edit] I guess I should've added that I got the car today! I wasn't able to drive around in it much because I did the whole signing thing during an extended break my manger gave me between a meeting and the rest of my work shift, but I'll definately be showing it off around town tomorrow. :) I'll also add pics as soon as I get a battery for my camera.
Actually, at 8 bucks a six-pack, I could only get 112 12-packs. :( NY sucks on beer prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts