Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Caliber SXT 2.0 with the CVT. Sometimes on hills and such at low speeds and low RPM's, I could swear I hear random spark knock. You wouldn't notice it unless you're listening for it. But I swear it's there. Nontheles, there are no trouble codes. Am I imagining things?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nope -- you're not imagining things. Several people (I think all with the 2.0L caliber?) have had spark knock complaints. Dodge has been working on an ECU re-flash and just released a TSB for this today. Go complain to your dealer and get the new engine software, which should make things better-er....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would you potentially hear it taking off from a stop? Sometimes I swear I hear a knock pulling away from fast food places...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tito said:
Dodge has been working on an ECU re-flash and just released a TSB for this today. Go complain to your dealer and get the new engine software, which should make things better-er....
They are, they did?!!! Those guys where I just took my Caliber to told me it was perfectly normal and actually good... that it means there is "good detonation". :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quad - DC has had ping issues (otherwise known as detonation) going all the way back to my 1999 Dodge Ram. There have been several 're-flashes' released over the years to supposedly address timing issues.

GOT - if the service people told you it is "normal", ask them to put it in writing - they tried the same thing with me on the Ram, and when I demanded that they put it in writing (and called DC directly to complain), they backed off real quick on the "that ping is normal" BS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Funny thing I get a quick bit of knock (detonation) when reversing up a slight incline.. this happens just off idle... I listened as the better half drives off in the morning after dropping me off at work and I don't notice a knock... full throttle acceleration (using the AutoStick) doesn't produce the knock either... gonna watch and wait to see if it gets worse (only 1200 miles on the clock right now).

·
Registered
82 Posts
ya I've got the knock to I just heard it today does anyone know for sure if they have a fix. dealer visits seem to go better if you are informed somewhat before going in

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I don't know for sure if it's a 100% fix, but Dodge definitley has a TSB that references an ECU re-flash, specifically for knock. I'll try to dig up the TSB number from my buddy and post.

As far as "good knock" and "damage" etc. -- knock is not really a good thing, but at low to moderate levels, you won't damage anything. You could think of it as a way to know that your spark is optimized -- ideal spark timing would be just on the edge of knock (you'd barely hear it). Any real fix by Dodge will result in running less spark advance, which will hurt performance and fuel economy at least a bit (although it'll probably be so subtle that you won't notice).

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK, my friend dug up the TSB number for this:

18-020-06 06/13/2006 2007 PM Flash: Warm Weather Spark Knock or DTC2173

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
MikeinWoodstock said:
GOT - if the service people told you it is "normal", ask them to put it in writing - they tried the same thing with me on the Ram, and when I demanded that they put it in writing (and called DC directly to complain), they backed off real quick on the "that ping is normal" BS.
Actually I do have it in writing.
Here's exactly what the "INVOICE" says
E C/S THAT ENGINE KNOCKING
CAUSE: OK
1 OK - LIGHT DETONATION ON TIP IN - OK
464 WAR

2611 FOUND NO KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE AREA
They told me that they did hear the engine knocking and then he gave me a long winded explanation as to why... several things about good detonation. The guy seems to be a great guy and I have nothign against him but I don't think what is happening is "good detonation". I could be wrong...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tito said:
OK, my friend dug up the TSB number for this:

18-020-06 06/13/2006 2007 PM Flash: Warm Weather Spark Knock or DTC2173

Good luck!
Cool, thanks man!

·
Registered
81 Posts
GOT - he could very well be right, but I would ask the following: "If engine knock and 'ping' are GOOD, why don't ALL cars do it"?

·
Registered
506 Posts
when i was growing up my pops drove a 1990 mitsubishi montero 4 dr with the V6... well one day we were working under the hood... he says start it up... i do so all excited that pops let me start the truck... well i come bak to the hood and he has his ear like on the valve cover of that V6.. i was like what the hell are you doing... he said... listening for the knock... is this how you guys are all hearing this shit.... cuz i thought my dad was just an insane off the boat italian just being nuts... and if you are all hearing it this way... maybe i think you guys are all nuts too lol :-D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
mudstone said:
is this how you guys are all hearing this shit....
I hear it while driving... and when you are between two cars or next to a building you can hear it better (because the sound bounces off the cars and building). I hear it at cruise speeds, and I hear it at acceleration. The only time I don't hear it is de-accelerating and coasting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was browsing my manual today and noticed that it said using anything other than 87 gasoline can cause spark knock. Also, they didn't give you anything in writing saying "it's o.k."...It says:

2611 FOUND NO KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE AREA
Thats officially what they gave you in writing...I would go back or go to another Dodge dealer if you have another close by.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
MOOK3452 said:
I was browsing my manual today and noticed that it said using anything other than 87 gasoline can cause spark knock. .
That's only referring to grades lower than 87, not higher.

A fuel's octane rating is a rating of how resistant it is to burn. The lower the octane rating, the more likely the air/fuel mix is to ignite without spark being present. This is detonation - uncontrolled combustion. The fuel starts to ignite before it is supposed to from high cylinder pressures. This can also be caused by over-advanced ignition timing (spark knock), which is why vehicles have a knock sensor to tell the computer to retard timing. So why is it that the knock sensor and PCM are not doing their job in these cases?:confused:

Running high octane gas in an engine designed for lower numbers would decrease fuel economy since the mixture is more resistant to burn, but increase it's resistance to detonation. This is why flex fuel vehicles get lower mileage when running ethanol, which has an octane rating above 100.

Personally, if I wanted to run premium gas in my car, I would've splurged and bought the PT cruiser turbo GT. Lets see if the dealers address this or if they prefer to gamble on replacing burned pistons later down the road.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, last night I drove through a fast food drive-up and was listening for a knock. However, I couldn't hear anything but that damn ticking that comes from the exhaust (the infamous caliber "pinging" noise).
What does the knock sound like and how do I pick it out from the pinging noise?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not rhythmic like a rod knock or valve tick, but more random. As for what it sounds like, to me it sounds like the sound a bag of marbles would make if you shook it slightly in your hand.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts