Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want a diesel. I have had a 97 Passat TDI, 2001 Golf TDI with the automatic. The automatic was the wifes idea.

The VW TDI with the 5sp transmission was a blast to drive 40-45 mpg, 750 miles to a tank. The automatic did not get as good fuel milage. They put biger injector to make the automatic performer better. 38mpg was about all I could get out of it, and the Passat was a heaver car The new larger 2.0 Pump Duce TDI did not get the same fuel mileage as the older 1.9 TDI. The next ones will come out with the CRD which is already in use in Europe.

If they don't sell it here I may not buy one. If my Saturn VUE had the TDI I would keep it forever. I ran a Chevrolet Corsica for over 300,000 miles. Chevrolet did send us a Tee shirt. I would still have my Passat if some one had not stole it. It was never found.

I really hope they sell it in the US not just in Canada. They always get some cars and engines we never see.

Richard

·
Registered
67 Posts
The price of the gasoline in Europe caused that Dodge sold the Caliber with a diesel engine but in the U.S.A. the gasoline is cheaper.
In Holland the gasoline costs 1.41 euros/liter. :mad:
In Spain 0.99 €. :(
In the United States 0.57 € :eek:
In several petroleum-producing countries costs less than 0.20 € ;)

If you can buy the Caliber with diesel engine in U.S.A. you will have a trustworthy motor, economic and powerful, but also a little noisy… By the way, how much is the diesel in U.S.A.? :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
If the diesel would have been available I would have jumped on it big time.. the difference in fuel mileage more than makes up for the difference in price... besides.. I am kinda partial to diesels :D . Of course, they will come out with one in the next year or so here, that will be too late for me to trade..:( . Not gonna take that kind of beating on trade/price...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Diesel has come down, but it has been like FtK Shadow said. It has actually gone down in price below regular gas. Regular gas was $2.53 a gallon today with diesel a few cents lower. BUT their are some SOB's that still want to charge more for diesel LSD (low sulfur diesel) diesel is basically the by product of making gasoline. I know they are going through the conversion to put ethanol based fuel and to ULSD. Of course they have only known since 1990's. But I am getting a little off the subject. :D

My 2 TDI cars were great. I even autocrossed My Passat a few times just to see how it would do. It did real well and even kicked but on some VR6 VW's. Now it is nothing like my 85 Scirocco DSP car(now FSP after restructing the classes). SP is street prepared classes. I love to pick on the Honda boys...

Dodge is really missing the boat on this. in 08 the diesels will be back. VW with a whole new engine. The same crd the are putting in the Cailber, but updated to pass the newer emissions standards. By 2010 Most european and asian manufactures will all have new generation diesels here.With every one by 2012. (This is what auto trade magazines have said) so why doesn't Dodge jump on this?

I think the Caliber with this CRD, would still be classified as a domestic built auto and not subject to the Chicken Tax

Chicken Tax= Germany will not let the USA sell frozen chicken to be imported in to their country, so we limit the number of German cars, and TRUCKS imported into the US. Seen a New German Truck? Only some gray or black market ones. MB has some Unimog type trucks they sold the US Army. But not anymore. A lot of them are built in Sealy Texas at a STEWART & STEVENSON - (FMTV) plant

Quite a lot of people(me too) are building up the old VW 1.6 TD, 1.9 TDI's in front wheel drive car's and more. I have gathered my parts to put a 1.9 TDI in a mid 80's 4x4Toyota truck. I should start on it soon. The next one in line is a cummins 4bt (4 cyl engine used in Fritos delivery trucks)into a Jeep MJ truck.

While I can mess with this stuff, GOD forbid if my wife would drive some of these and break down, she would have my cajonies in a jar. For you non Texans or Tex-Mex people these are your Testicles

I am sorry about the long post, and drifting away sometimes but us seniors citizens get that way :) I had to work today Take care every one... Now back to your regular program already in process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saudi Arabia. :confused: I was on a couple of projects there. No worries mate, I am a fifth Cousin twice removed to the Royal Family. Gas Money? We don't need no stinkin gas money :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I will have to put it on my Christmas List and hope someone tells Santa I was a good boy

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the Caliber 2 litre Turbo Diesel with 6 speed manual box, pumped up with a naughty powerbox thats gives me 160+ BHP.

3rd and 4th midrange acceleration is very fast to say the least and with ABS and discs all round and the stiffer (allmost solid) European suspension pack the car drives and handle very well in deed.

I think the Calibers power to weight ratio is spot on with this setup and the car is a big-time pleasure to drive. Its nice to know I have the extra get up n go when I need it and Caliber dont hang around when she dont want to!

The car starts easy and there is hardly any delay with the glow plugs getting to temp..about half a second !

Its my first diesel and I love it, the torque output is like through the roof, ie, it pulls itself along at 10mph with no pushing the gas pedal help in 1st gear.....shear torque !!

I'm getting about 42 mpg around town as well, as the block gets run in more and more.

I would reccomend the diesel 2 litre Cali to anyone. I hope you guys in the USA can hold of a Euro spec one and then appreciate what a diesel Caliber is like !

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I really wsih they would release the Cali with a deisel here in the US. They finally started selling the Jeep Liberty's with the deisel last year, and I was pricing one along with the Caliber. But the deisel option in the Liberty put it out of my price range. I would consider trading in my current Caliber for a deisel one if they came out and I wasn't upside down in the loan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too. I can not get to the UK, but you have said what I fell

"That what Iam talking about" " I gotta get me one of these Things"
Will Smith- Indepence Day:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me tis the performance of the diesel not just the mpg. These common rail engines now really packa punch. They are not track day machines but in the cut and thrust of modern driving, having 230lbs of torque at 2k rpm or there about really works beautifully.

With UK fuel prices as they are it make a lot of sense.

UK gallons are larger then US gallon's for comparison purposes, about 20% i think.

US = 3.785 litres
UK = 4.546 litres for one gallon

We pay about £1 per litre of either depending on where you are.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes the CRD Common Rail Diesel whacks out so much torque whenI do a fast pull away I can feel the front wheels "digging in" as it were and the steering wheel tends to go left and right a few milimeters for a few seconds !

I love my Diesel ! and the fact I have a realy nice lookin, nice compact, built in the USA car.

I have always loved American cars. Rock on USA !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats how I felt with my VW TDI's @ 90 HP. Good memories and sad ones too.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry guys, I for one am not going to expect the diesel. DC right now is getting eaten alive by warranty claims on the VM Motori CRD in the Liberty. Something about EGR valves are really bad on them. Dont get me wrong, I want one bad, but I dont think we will see one for some time. For that matter, VW just discontinued the TDI in all cars but the Jetta and Beetle here while they change over the injector system in their diesels. (although I see nothing wrong with the pumpe duse system.) To go off on a tangent here, we have GM and Ford to thank for the lack of diesel engines here. Back in the 60s-70s, GM produced its first diesel pickup trucks. They were terrible.
So, we have GM to thank for ruining the reputation for diesel vehicles here in the US. But I cant really say for sure, we are finally being allowed to sell our CDI Mercedes SUVs here soon. so its maybe not out of the question. Perhaps they will. One last thing, we have the air control Nazis in California and New York and the like to cause us as much problems as possible as well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't expect one either :(

Jeep used the wrong engine, they should have used the 2.8 L Turbo Powerstroke from International in Brazil... Kick Ass engine. They designed the V-6 diesel that Ford wanted. Ford backed out and their was a Law Suit.. Guess who won... Not Ford.

TDI's get there intakes clooged up woth soot from the stupid EGR valve. Just like the gas engines of the late 70's and 80's. you have to pull the intake and clean the crud out VW is aware of this and dealers do too. All diesels VW's will be sold as 06, even those not made yet.

The PD is a good system, makes more horsepower, it does not get as good fuel millage as the TDI. I got 45 mpg's on my 97 Passat TDI. If I was easy I could get 48 mpg's They killed the diesel Passat mid 06.

My problem with this is the ULSD has been on the books since the 1990's. Were all the car makers asleep? VW aleready has a CRD. Mercedes has the blue (something) technogoly that is supposed the meet the 07 specs and the next 2 (IIRC) future EPA Specs.

Yup, the Cal-NY air boards are very close to that.

Oh, please read my sig. I know I may be the exception. I have two stock 5.7 olds. I has hit 400k, the 2nd over 200k. The first one wore out 2 cars and 1 truck. The second one truck. I have been looking for stock oversize piston which are the hardest(almost impossible) thing to find. I have found a set of silvolite 030 over pistons. So I get to rebuild one. It will go into a Luv truck or a s10

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Read this thread.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198

All Calibers even the diesel ones are built in one factory in Belvidere, Illinois, USA.

Any one want to make a midnight run to the plant?;) Bribe some worker to flip a Vin number? Oh well, you can't keep a guy for trying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would buy a diesel Caliber if it were available in the US

I currently drive a 2002 VW Jetta TDI, and I love it but it is a little small. I drove a regular Dodge Caliber when I rented a car and I liked it, the front seats have a bit more room.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts