Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my queston is if i use syntatic oil what you only have to change every 10000km does it void your waranty or you still have to change every 5000km??? cheers thomas

·
Registered
135 Posts
tupmeier said:
Hello my queston is if i use syntatic oil what you only have to change every 10000km does it void your waranty or you still have to change every 5000km??? cheers thomas
I'll check further in the AM but I do know that they suggest not using it and actually warned agianst it in the manual. I am lazy and don't want to trek back out to the car for it in the middle of the night but I'm sure someone here has it on them ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
You can use synthetic but you still must change the oil per your manuals schedule A or B. I am a fan of synthetic but not one of extended change intervals. Synthetics do not break down with heat as easily but they still get dirty just the same. I change mine every 3K with Dino oil or 5K with synthetic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
im not an engineer by anymeans but i always change oil at 3000 miles no matter what. It doesnt hurt to keep you oil filter fresh *** keep all the junk from circulating in your engine. The longer you wait on oil changes, the longer you filter can clog. *** also additives in the oil have more time to dissapate *** evaporate. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it can get into smaller places. *** the newer engines have closer tolerances so synthetic is required. Now since you have a br*** new engine i would recommend synthetic oil. As your engine gets older *** more worn in, with synthetic oil you may start to notice oil consumption, thats not a bad thing, you should just switch to a semi-synthetic oil. I know ill run synthetic oil when i get my cali...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
DodgeCaliberSXT said:
im not an engineer by anymeans but i always change oil at 3000 miles no matter what. It doesnt hurt to keep you oil filter fresh *** keep all the junk from circulating in your engine. The longer you wait on oil changes, the longer you filter can clog. *** also additives in the oil have more time to dissapate *** evaporate. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it can get into smaller places. *** the newer engines have closer tolerances so synthetic is required. Now since you have a br*** new engine i would recommend synthetic oil. As your engine gets older *** more worn in, with synthetic oil you may start to notice oil consumption, thats not a bad thing, you should just switch to a semi-synthetic oil. I know ill run synthetic oil when i get my cali...
I'm going to be up all night trying to figure out what all those 3 letter swear words are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
xlimodriver said:
I'm going to be up all night trying to figure out what all those 3 letter swear words are.
Please tell me you are kidding :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure it is an accident. Unless A_N_D has become a curse word without me know it :) Could it be that maybe that word was in one of the links people were trying to post that they shouldn't have been?

·
Registered
775 Posts
DodgeCaliberSXT said:
could it be that the FCC has finally cracked down on conjuctions!?!?! NOW HOW WILL I CONNECT SENTENCES
"Conjunction Junction what's you function. . ."

I like the new swear word. I think I'll start using it. "AND YOU buddy!" "Boy, did I just get anded."

·
Registered
108 Posts
The owner's manuel says you can use synthetic. I don't recall wich weight. But i was wondering if we can use some of the Mobile 1 zero weight oils ??? I cant remember if it is oW40 or oW50 . These really protect on start up. And incress horse and gas mileage because of less friction. What do you guys think ???

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Medic said:
It's on several of ekool's boards and is fixed now.

Medic
DOH!! After me spending all night going through my "Swear Word Thesaurus", you tell me it was a filter error.:mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
jguerra3235 said:
The owner's manuel says you can use synthetic. I don't recall wich weight. But i was wondering if we can use some of the Mobile 1 zero weight oils ??? I cant remember if it is oW40 or oW50 . These really protect on start up. And incress horse and gas mileage because of less friction. What do you guys think ???
You need to use SAE grade 5W-20 to protect your warranty. It specifically states "Lubricants which do not have both, the engine oil certifcation mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used." The manual does say you can use the synthetic oils, it says just to make sure that they are API Certified. It does say NEVER to add any additives to the engine oil what-so-ever. A little off topic but I do believe it also said never to add any additives to the gasoline either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
jguerra3235 said:
Follow the manual/bible. First gas mileage has a lot to do with drivers habit if you are easy on the throttle it equals good gas mileage, if you are into the throttle (example: Dale jarrett syndrome) then that equals poor mileage. No oil type will help under this condition. Also good maintance is a key to maintaining good fuel mileage. Also IF synthetic oil does increase h.p MAYBE a few h.p will you notice that any way? Nope. Remember when you here that using our product increases fuel mileage and h.p they want you to but there product. Like I said follow what the manufacture recommends for weight and mileage between oil changes. If they wanted you to use mobil 1 full synthetic then it would be tagged on you engine besides in the manual. (Example: Chevy corvette).

·
Registered
4 Posts
jguerra3235 said:
But i was wondering if we can use some of the Mobile 1 zero weight oils ??? I cant remember if it is oW40 or oW50 . These really protect on start up.
Well, I'd say it's most of the time waste of money going from 5W oil to 0W oil, UNLESS you're living in a very very very cold area. Even 5W oil is OK up to -35 Celsius (or -31F).

-JJ-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts