Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a survey of anyone who has used an in vehicle navigation system. I am involved in a project at work to install Mobile data computers in our paratransit fleet. As part of the package is onboard mapping which shows drivers their next series of pick ups and drop offs. We are working with a vender how feels that when you look at the map north should always be at the top and the vehicle icon should move around in the map. To me it seem that it would be more intuitive of the vehicle icon was stationary (pointing forward) and the map moved. That way when you are coming up to a turn it would be clear that it would be a right or left turn.

So that was my long winded way of asking people who have used in vehicle navigation what they have seen and prefer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
On my rec nav i noticed that the large map will stay oriented in the same way as we typically view the globe but the turn by turn map always keeps the vehicle facing the same direction and the map itself is turned to face realitive to vehicle position. If it were any other way i wouldnt like it as much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Car is always going straight, the scenary moves around you, ie, you take a right turn down a street, the surrounding area changes. This is standard pretty much across the board, tell them they shouldn't reinvint the wheel:)

Here's a pic, in this one the arrow is telling you where to turn, the route is highlighted, and once you turn/as you turn it puts you straight again etc...

I've seen other systems earlier on, and alot of the handhelds do it slightly different, but this one seems to work best in vehicles due to the always forward outlook:)

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I prefer the vehicle stationary/pointed up & the roads moving around accordingly, however a friend that borrowed my GPS preferred the GPS oriented North=Up.

Luckily, our Garmin Nuvi 350 allows the user to select what they prefer. So, if possible, make it an option. But I think 90% of the population would prefer vehicle pointed up at all times.

J

·
Registered
361 Posts
On my Garmin 60CS unit, I like to have the position marker stationary and have the map move so the direction I'm heading in is always up. I prefer that for driving and hiking. I noticed the Garmin unit in a friends SR-20 aircraft is set the same way. For myself, it seems to make it easier as you're a fixed refrence point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the vendor offers both solutions, have him set one up the way you like it and the other the way they like it and try them out. Make sure you poll the drivers since they will be the end users. Choose on the results of the tests.

If the vendor only offers one type of solution, of course they are going to promote it. If they are not locked in by contract, then tell them to compete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts