Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I am going to take the plunge. I haven't gotten out to test drive one yet, but I will this week. Obviously that is the real test, but we haven't found any other cars in this price range that we dig. But first I wanted some info (that I can't seem to find anywhere) and couple of opinions.

CVT2 is very interesting to me. How do you guys like it? We love MTX, but this is going to be the main family car so having an ATX(ish) I think is the way to go this time around.

I think that the R/T is the only way to go (I was going to wait for the SRT-4, but I LOVE the creature comforts in the R/T, and AWD). Are there any differences in suspension for the R/T like there was in the Neon? Any other real differences between the R/T and the SXT besides AWD?

Anyone had a chance to really try out the AWD? Thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions, but $22k is a lot of ching to throw down.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think people that have not driven the CVT think it is a completely different way of driving. The only thing that I can see with our R/T in driving difference is off the start, it feels sluggish, until you look at the speedo and see that you are steadily speeding up. At highway speeds there is no real big difference.

I have not "tested" the AWD (wife has been with me the last few times I have driven)

I am thankful to the God of Calibers that I ended up getting the R/T rather than an SXT.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think if you searched this forum, specifically on the subjects you were wondering about, you could find out more of people's opinions.

The CVT to me felt weird, like the car wasn't doing something it should, or like driving a golf cart. But it was a good weird! Different...

I'm getting the SXT only because I don't like the colored inserts and my salesman told me you had to get them in the RT. Plus I just don't see much of a difference, for me really. And the SXT was just fine for me. More than fine really ;)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The only difference in the R/T is a stronger motor which is slugged up by the AWD, and more creature comforts..:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I'm disappointed that there aren't any suspension upgrades with the R/T. I think I need AWD, but I have had nothing but FWD for like EVER and have had no problems. I want leather and whatnot, but then I have to go R/T and I would be stuck with AWD. Maybe I will have to wait until different configs come out.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wait, scratch my previous statement:

The Dodge Caliber R/T with all-wheel drive features a standard 172-horsepower 2.4-liter World Engine with dual VVT coupled with CVT2, anti-lock brakes, AutoStick, a sport-suspension, performance steering and 18-inch aluminum wheels.

In addition to the standard features on the SE and SXT models, standard features on the Dodge Caliber R/T include leather steering wheel with radio controls, tonneau cover, premium fabric seats, silver bezels on the instrument panel and chrome interior door handles. The Dodge Caliber R/T’s exterior features a chrome grille, body-color lower fascias, body-color sill moldings, chrome plated body-side moldings, body-color door handles and fog lamps. An optional feature on the Dodge Caliber R/T models equipped with all-wheel drive, beyond those offered on the SXT, include 18-inch chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, the FWD R/T will be late availiblity though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
caliber4whoosh said:
Wait, scratch my previous statement:

In addition to the standard features on the SE and SXT models, standard features on the Dodge Caliber R/T include leather steering wheel with radio controls
Does the SXT with the Musicgate upgrade also come with the steering wheel radio controls?

·
Registered
414 Posts
OUWxGuesser said:
Wheel radio controls standard.... even without musicgate if I'm not mistaken. Musicgate gets you the leather wrapped wheel : )
I think you need to have the musicgate to get the controls on the wheel too, or maybe it was 1 step up from the base stereo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, why do you guy keep saying the R/T is sluggish of the line because of the AWD system? Considering the AWD system is not involved unless your really pushing it or its slippery. How does it cause sluggishness off the line?
I know it adds a few pounds, but the torque increase easly offsets that.
Maybe all you have driven is the R/T and your just assuming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Darnice said:
So, why do you guy keep saying the R/T is sluggish of the line because of the AWD system? Considering the AWD system is not involved unless your really pushing it or its slippery. How does it cause sluggishness off the line?
I know it adds a few pounds, but the torque increase easly offsets that.
Maybe all you have driven is the R/T and your just assuming.
The current R/T, along with the 2.0L SE and SXT, feel "sluggish" off the line because of the CVT. I haven't driven the 5-speed YET (gimmie about 6 hours), but the CVT doesn't really give the seat of the pants launch that a conventional tranny gives ya because it does not "lock" onto a certain "gear ratio." As I understand it, using the R/T's autostick feature can get you off the line quicker.

·
Registered
901 Posts
katiescaliber said:
Does the SXT with the Musicgate upgrade also come with the steering wheel radio controls?
Yes. When you add MusicGate to an SXT, this package adds the steering wheel radio controls and leather-wrapped steering wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
katiescaliber said:
I'm getting the SXT only because I don't like the colored inserts and my salesman told me you had to get them in the RT. Plus I just don't see much of a difference, for me really. And the SXT was just fine for me. More than fine really ;)

Sorry to jack the thread for a second, I have an R/T ordered and I didn't like th idea of the coloured inserts so the dealer changed it for me... I'm getting the dark slate leather with the slate grey inserts...

·
Registered
901 Posts
sickcycle said:
Sorry to jack the thread for a second, I have an R/T ordered and I didn't like th idea of the coloured inserts so the dealer changed it for me... I'm getting the dark slate leather with the slate grey inserts...
True, the only way to avoid getting the color keyed cloth seats is to go with leather seats. (for extra $$ of course).

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can opt out of the colored inserts even with the cloth seats I believe, in fact with some exterior colors (steel blue for example) you cannot get the colored seat inserts. I have found that another real difference between the R/T and SXT is rear disc brakes on the R/T, the SXT and SE have drums in the rear. That was a big deal to me, and a major reason why I bought an R/T. The R/T's suspension upgrade is noticable particularly in body lean when cornering. The R/T is so stable on curvy roads it almost feels boring unless you're speeding enough to absolutely guarantee a ticket if you get caught. The 18" wheels help give the car loads of grip, but the tires are not wonderful in the rain. The slightly heavier weight of the R/T helps overcome the stiffness of the suspension to where the ride is still pretty good, but not as good as the ride of the SXT (which I thought was terrific for this class of vehicle). And those of us with experience know that the AutoStick helps overcome any power lost by the added weight of the AWD system, and when you're driving in a more sane fashion the smoothness of the CVT2 is the selling feature of the vehicle. I've had several people notice while riding with me how smooth the car was because it never shifts when in normal drive mode. I love my R/T, and if something happened to it I would order the exact same vehicle again, no changes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That's awesome to hear. I cannot wait for my Caliber. It is inevitable..:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow thanks for all the input! I just have to drive them and then decide. I think that AWD is a nice feature, autostick is cool (I guess it has preset "gear ratios" or something) and the suspension and whatnot really seal it for the R/T.

Thanks again!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts