Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know exactly where the interior air filter is and how to replace it? The manual says to replace once a year but gives no clue as to location, filter part number etc.

I believe its somewhere in the rear drivers side quarter panel as my dealer said not to block the vents back there with luggage whenever using recirculation mode on the A/C.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The rear is just probably flow thru ventilation, which all cars have to have. The filter should be somewhere in the front of the vehicle, either where the air enters from the outside or before it gets to the fan blower. So either under cowl at windshield or in the passenger side dash area, would be my guess.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yeah, the manual pretty much implies it's a dealer-serviceable item.

Can one of you who bought the service manual CD confirm the location of this filter?

PS: This previous discussion from 3 wks ago (which, oddly, was under the Appearance/Body Mods section) also asks the same question, but we never got a definite answer then.
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103

·
Registered
976 Posts
The filter is located behind the glovebox/chillzone door.

·
Registered
901 Posts
bigtsr said:
The filter is located behind the glovebox/chillzone door.
wahht??!!
*goes outside to look*

well that certainly is not user-friendly!! Looks like you'd have to take the entire door OFF. Maybe that's why the owners manual doesn't have instructions. yeah but they show you how to remove the taillamps to replace a bulb... why NOT tell how to take the door off... hmmpf.

thanks for the info, bigtsr.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, it's behind the glove box. You you need to unhook the "spring" from the glove box on the right side, then you bend in the plastic tabs on the back side of the glove box. The whole glove box will then fold down and out of the way. The air filter is behind a little black plastic panel that says "Air Flow" on it. Funny thing is, if you pull out the air filter all together, the air comes out of the vents a LOT faster. I think you could actually get the A/C working a bit better without it....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone know if you can just use a Fram filter, or do you have to use the one availble through Mopar/Dealer?

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you have the door, then I'm 99% sure you can add it. And I'd also bet that Dodge doesn't have a different part for that area, for cars that don't get the filter.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just looked at my car. Did not have the air filter option installed from the factory, BUT, I do have the place to put the air filter. It's behind the chillzon/lower glove box. You have to squeeze the sides of the compartment together to fold it down all the way. It's right at the top of the opening. About 1" wide by 8" long. Little push tabs on each side. Squeeze the tabs together and the "door" comes off. If you have a filter you can slide it right in and then you will have the extra internal filter. Just make not of the air flow direction.

As for using a Fram filter, I woudl say no. The extra filter from the factory is supposed to be a HEPA style filter to get rid of pollen and other allergens. Which is why you need to make note of airflow direction(molded into the cover)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Has anyone tried to order the filter from the dealer? Wonder what the cost of a replacement one is. From the Dode website, it's a charcoal filter to help filter odors. So once again, a Fram filter will not work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts